My Frequent Flier Miles

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Jerry L

My Frequent Flier Miles

by Jerry L » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:52 pm

I've got 220,000 miles that I've got to burn before the spring of 2012. I've recently begun to think about how I want to use them and I'm thinking that next year I'll take a trip around the world for maybe (2) months, stopping in "x" number of countries to climb some peaks (mostly class 4 stuff). The two limitations that I can think of are that the summits would need to be somewhat close to larger cities with international airports and couldn't be too high (below 16,000 feet) as I couldn't spend too much time on a mountain acclimating. I thought I'd throw this out there and see what routes members would take if they were in this situation.

Also, this airline got me for 60,000 miles (I let them expire unknowingly) several years ago, so I really want to use these.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Re: My Frequent Flier Miles

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Jerry L wrote:I've got 220,000 miles that I've got to burn before the spring of 2012. I've recently begun to think about how I want to use them and I'm thinking that next year I'll take a trip around the world for maybe (2) months, stopping in "x" number of countries to climb some peaks (mostly class 4 stuff). The two limitations that I can think of are that the summits would need to be somewhat close to larger cities with international airports and couldn't be too high (below 16,000 feet) as I couldn't spend too much time on a mountain acclimating. I thought I'd throw this out there and see what routes members would take if they were in this situation.

Also, this airline got me for 60,000 miles (I let them expire unknowingly) several years ago, so I really want to use these.

Mt. Fuji is close to a very large city. It is just a (long) hike, really, but the view is stupendous.

phydeux

by phydeux » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Popo & Ixta just outside of Mexico City (+17,000 ft). There's a nice lodge between them. Popo's a day hike from the lodge, Ixta an overnighter from same lodge/ Two caveats: Popo might still be off limits due to volcanic activity, and getting out of Mexico City can be an expedition in itself! There are a few other 15,000 ft peaks around Mexico City, too.

Pichincha (sp?) just outside of Quito, Ecuador, about 16,000 ft. You can hike up it from the city's edge (long slog), or drive quite a ways up it to a radio repeater station for a short hike to the top (4wd recommended). After this you could make the trek to +19,000 ft Cotopaxi and do the (glaciated) day hike from a hut at 15,000 ft. Both have great views on a clear day.

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:26 pm

First, I'd go to Europe and the Alps. Plenty of airport options in France, Switzerland, or Italy. Then, on to Kathmandu in Nepal for some trekking peaks or the Annapurna Circuit. Next stop would be Christchurch, NZ for Mt. Cook. Then I'd fly to Peru for the trek to MP or some Andean peaks before heading back home.

Are you in NF now?, or still at home?

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm still here, but I'm leaving Monday morning. Finally feeling well enough. I've been packed for over a month..............

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking more like Adventurer's answer. I'm wondering what loop around the world would you take, as opposed to individual nice peaks. Where would you stop as you made your "dream loop" around the world ?

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Jerry L wrote:I'm still here, but I'm leaving Monday morning. Finally feeling well enough. I've been packed for over a month..............

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking more like Adventurer's answer. I'm wondering what loop around the world would you take, as opposed to individual nice peaks. Where would you stop as you made your "dream loop" around the world ?

The rules on a lot of RTW tickets will let you include Africa, and it would be a shame not to take that opportunity (I always regreted not including it in my own RTW). The quick stop would be Nairobi, and you could bag a couple of lesser peaks than Kili, some of which sound very fine. Personally, I might go to South Africa instead, where you can rent a car and just drive yourself in normal, low budget fashion to cool mountains (Drakensberg!) and game parks.

On my own RTW I did stop in Perth (W. Aust) and that was another place where a cheap rental car gets you to really cool remote country. I loved the Pirongirups, whose spelling I am probably mangling--small but fun granite domes with roos hopping all over.

Another often overlooked mountain area is the 10,000' range in northern Vietnam. PM if interested in logistics there. The mountain tribes are very varied and so mopeding or biking or hiking from village to village is like a litte round the world trek in itself. With a week you could do a lot. Your airport would be Hanoi.

builttospill

by builttospill » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:09 pm

If you are interested in Kenya, you can easily rent a car and see some of the game parks and climb a couple of peaks. They'll require that you get a slightly beefier rental (tell them where you're going up front), and it's not as cheap as I would have liked, but oh well. Per-kilometer charges add up quick, though....

Return to General