RIP wilderness exchange in Berkeley...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoabPeakBagger

RIP wilderness exchange in Berkeley...

by MoabPeakBagger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 pm

the end of an institution. I went in the other day and they were selling the paltry remnants of their inventory for 95% off. Doors will shut today or tomorrow. The owner sold the building and retired.

What a bummer.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:50 am

Sad, but it happens. The exchange always reminded me of Sonoma Outfitters circa 1985 in Santa Rosa. In the 90's they refashioned their model and became a mini REI. The exchange never sold out and fought the good fight to the last.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:Sad, but it happens. The exchange always reminded me of Sonoma Outfitters circa 1985 in Santa Rosa. In the 90's they refashioned their model and became a mini REI. The exchange never sold out and fought the good fight to the last.

I think you are thionking of Marin Outdoors on Santa Rosa Avenue. Sonoma Outfitters has condensed and more or less gone the way of the SUV camping crowd.

Funny, I did a quick over-night in Point Reyes with my daughter. I was out of white gas so I grabbed my old MSR Rapid Fire and a fuel canister. When I got ready for dinner I saw that the fuel canister had a Marin Outdoors (Pre Sonoma Outfitters) price tag!

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:49 pm

ScottyP wrote:
Bubba Suess wrote:Sad, but it happens. The exchange always reminded me of Sonoma Outfitters circa 1985 in Santa Rosa. In the 90's they refashioned their model and became a mini REI. The exchange never sold out and fought the good fight to the last.

I think you are thionking of Marin Outdoors on Santa Rosa Avenue. Sonoma Outfitters has condensed and more or less gone the way of the SUV camping crowd.

No, I mean Sonoma Outfitters. They used to be located on 4th street in a quonset hut style building near Doyle Park. I remember Marin Surplus too, before it went "the way of the SUV camping crowd" as well, but that was on Santa Rosa Ave (at least its SR location was).

connollyck

by connollyck » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:28 pm

I bought my first pack and climbing equipment used here when I was 16 and couldn't afford anything else. Sad to hear they're gone. WAY cooler than REI and would MUCH rather give them my $

Denjem

by Denjem » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:36 pm

This is why you people who use a shop and buy on the internet should think before you buy. The next time you go in a shop to check something out, the shop may not be there. Thanks for saving me a buck internet. :cry:

Return to California