North Face Borah

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
ClimbandBike

North Face Borah

by ClimbandBike » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:20 am

Has anyone been up the North Face recently or have an idea what condition the ice/snow is in?

Is the final chute one traverses to shown in the photo angling left below the summit and finishing just right of it beneath a small ridge? Or is it further to the left out of sight and closer to the east ridge? [Since this isn't my photo I'm hesitant to draw the line I think the route follows and repost it.]

Thanks.

Brian in SLC

Re: North Face Borah

by Brian in SLC » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:55 pm

ClimbandBike wrote:Has anyone been up the North Face recently or have an idea what condition the ice/snow is in?

Is the final chute one traverses to shown in the photo angling left below the summit and finishing just right of it beneath a small ridge?

Some friends did it a couple of weeks ago and reported great conditions.

And, yes, the route tops out almost right at the summit. Angle left until you hit that final finger of snow that comes up like you've surmized. Probably pretty common to find the final bit of snow at the top the steepest part of the route (can be corniced a bit).

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

ClimbandBike

by ClimbandBike » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks a bunch for the info Brian! I was hesitant to make the drive from Portand with no idea what shape the route is in.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)