The Passing of a Legend

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
no avatar
The Chief

The Passing of a Legend

by The Chief » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:05 am

Many of you may already know, but for those that may not,

John Fischer died early last Saturday morning while riding his Kawasaki Concourse on 395 and on his way north to meet up with some friends up at Virginia Lakes for day of easy climbing. He impacted a deer just before the Virginia Lakes turn off at the crest of Conway Summit and was killed instantly.

For those that may be interested, I will post the date of Services when it is announced.

Thanks John for constantly reminding me not to listen to them bastards and to keep on keep'n on.

no avatar
Palisades79

John Fischer

by Palisades79 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:59 pm

There are some wonderful notes about and pictures of John on SuperTopo .

Clydascope

by Clydascope » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:21 pm

http://www.spotteddogpress.com/fischer.html

I met John a few years ago at a mutual friend's house. We talked motorcycles for the most part. As he was leaving he suggested a ride together and gave me his phone number. That's when I realized who I had been talking to for the last couple hours. I asked if he was the John Fischer of Palisade fame. His eyes sparked, a smirk came over his face. "Yes I am" was his modest answer.

We recently worked together on a part time job. I asked for his input on a motorcycle guiding idea I've been working on. Training in first aid was his biggest suggestion. He showed me his new bike and talked about the thrill riding it brought him.

The news of his passing hit me hard. I nearly collided with a calf a few weeks ago. On Wednesday I took a long ride up and over the White Mountains on my motorcycle, stopping at a big view area on the dirt road to say goodbye. My eye traced the Palisade skyline and my thoughts wandered freely. It was good for my soul.

Goodbye John, and thanks for being.

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:26 am

John's family is planning a celebration of his life in Bishop on the weekend date of his birthday ,September 11 & 12th , according to the latest post on SuperTopo.

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:27 am

The details of the memorial event for John at Bishop on September 12th have been posted on Super Topo .

Return to News