Gannett Route?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
pyerger

Gannett

by pyerger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 pm

OH, Mistake I started a new topic, instead of replying to this one. anyway my two cents on gannett via a new topic.

phatty

by phatty » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:32 pm

jeep1212 wrote:
phatty wrote:Going up Gannet this weekend via Titcomb and bonney.

Going into Seneca Friday night, Titcomb Saturday, Summit Sunday, and out on monday.

Did fremont last year and love it. Going for the big boy this year... bring on the thunder and lightning...

I was going to go this weekend also via the same route. The weather looks questionable as there are supposed to be T-storms all weekend. Let us know..

The weather is always questionable in the Winds... Last year I climbed Fremont on August 14th. Intense afternoon thunderstorms came through about every 30 minutes. Woke up to 2" of snow, and hiked out from Island Lake in 4-6" of snow... it was miserable :)
Just have to be down off the peaks by about 1 or 2 in the afternoon...

Summit Day
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 0424df3899

Island Lake
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... c164214907

no avatar
markv

by markv » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:02 am

I've gone in twice via Titcomb and once on the Glacier Trail. Not like you can go wrong with either, but i prefer the Titcomb route. Mostly, because i think it's more scenic and had a nicer base camp. If i went a 4th time, i'd either get daring and try that Tourist Creek adventure or i'd go back to doing Titcomb. I think the key to summitting from there is to camp very high in Titcomb Basin, leave for the summit very very early, and bring some sort of minimal bivy so that if weather hits you can retreat below the glacier and bivy instead of feeling trapped by Bonney Pass and the need to get back over it.

But really the Glacier Trail route is great too.

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:09 pm

I was going to write a trip report for our July 19 Gannett Peak climb via the Glacier Trail from Dubois, but musicman82 who climbed it a few days earlier did such a nice job on his trip report that I thought it would be redundant. His trip was very similar to ours.
Here is a link to my album on Facebook that combines the best photos of all 5 of us who climbed Gannett Peak:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 0180728774

Many of the photos help show the route. Enjoy.

no avatar
markv

by markv » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Great pictures! It's always interesting to see the difference in conditions from year to year for the same month. You had less snow, lower water, but the glacier looked icier. Biggest difference was the wildflowers you got...great timing.

I think you did a more direct route from the tarn to the bergschrund. We stayed left to avoid some of those boulders, and the cut across just at the foot of the Gooseneck Glacier. It seemed smart on the way up, but then on the way down we saw that we were closer to some crevasses than we should have been, being unroped, and probably should have gone up the direct way you did.

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:27 pm

zodis wrote:Nice photos, Holsti, brings back fond memories. Looks like you had good weather. Just curious, when you got to the end of the boulder field and first encountered Goose Neck ridge, did you go straight up that scree slope to the right of the ridge, or skirt to the left, go around, and then cross the ridge? I skirted to the left, but my brother said that when he did it he went straight up.

We went straight up the scree slope to the right of the ridge.

Previous

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)