I did it :) I did my first ever climb...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
JasonH

by JasonH » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Pay no attention to the altitude snobs. Congrats on your achievement.

And as far as Mount Sunflower jokes go. I think it has less to do with it's altitude and more with its "prominence".

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:44 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:2929 ft? Does the route start below sea level?

Never mind him. He's only on his 7th month into the sport and thinks its funny to bash on beginers. Don't let others get you down, find some good partners and have fun!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:47 pm

emmieuk wrote:thanks Bryan!

I dont take any notice of the Mt Sunflower jokers....people start somewhere and for a party girl who usually spends a saturday shopping or recovering from a hangover and where the only thing i have ever climbed is my stairs, I did OK.

I do actually find it pretty petty that grown adults joke about the heights and challenges just because they have done something ten times harder.

Don't let it put you off Summit Post. There are some great people here who will bend over backwards to help you and give advice. Including some who have been up some of the worlds biggest and most challenging mountains.

And don't forget that "little" Y Lliwedd, a mountain about the same size as Cadair Idris, and next to Snowdon, is where Mallory, (of Mallory and Irvine fame, they were lost very near the summit of Mount Everest in 1924), and Sir Edmund Hilary and some of his team did a lot of preparatory work before going out to climb Mt Everest.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Hotoven wrote:

Never mind him. He's only on his 7th month into the sport and thinks its funny to bash on beginers. Don't let others get you down, find some good partners and have fun!

Indeed. If Joe Brown himself rose from the grave to post on here, VM would jeer at him for climbing molehills.

The Welsh mountains are fantastic. And I say that as I look at Denali from my office window.

Edit: Oops, he's still alive, isn't he? :oops:
Last edited by chugach mtn boy on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmieuk

by emmieuk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:52 pm

wow I did not know that Bryan!! Thanks for telling me. I will be sure to climb that now too!

I wont let it put me off...most people have been really nice and very helpful. People who do sport/hobby whatever you want to call it I have nothing but total respect for it is certainly harder than I thought but so rewarding. Looking at my pictures now I am like woah I climbed that...me...just me and my legs...no car up..just me. It is a start and I am so excited to keep climbing.

I climbed with my hubby who is also not experienced. We shall look for a partner or group to climb with during winter as I would like to get winter climbing under my belt as that is what I am aiming for...climbs with snow etc etc and not jsut a nice warm gentle breeze like I had on Sunday.

I am ready for it...bring it on ;)

Lolli

by Lolli » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:01 pm

How very nice indeed! What a glorious feeling.

I climbed Snowdon with the two gentlemen below, and it was not nice weather... not a dry spot anywhere, beneath any layer. It was foggy, cold, windy, wet...

Bryan's recommendation of Y Lliwedd is good. It's a cool one. You'll like it.
The approach is not very exciting, but beautiful.

Keep in mind, what the others say. The very experienced and those with amazing feats done, are often both humble, nice and the most helpful ones.
Don't pay any attention to those who tries to belittle what you have achieved. Keep that spirit going and may you have many climbs in front of you.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Congratulations, and welcome aboard! Ignore the smart-alecks.

Onward and upward!

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 pm

Hotoven wrote:

...He's only on his 7th month into the sport...

You mean 7th month brain :mrgreen:

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Scottish winter .. I have read about the mixed climbing they do over there in the winter, in the sleet and wind, full conditions. Lots of pictures of rime ice, broken picks, some hardcore shit. Scary, scary stuff. Don't write it off too hastily Vitaliy, some say that place is the origin of certain kinds of climbing :) Google "scottish mixed climbing" first.

For the OP -- we like to make jokes about Mt. Sunflower over here .. all in good fun. Keep on getting out there.

kamil

by kamil » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Don't pay attention to the whole lot above, they're nuffin more than a bunch of wusses :wink: :lol:
Congrats on your first summit and say hi to the Snowdonian peaks from me, I keep many a fond memory from there...
cheers,
k

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:Rob, I am not the one making comparisons. I don't usually talk about things I did not complete. I did not say anything bad about the mountain she climbed neither.

Open mouth, insert foot :) Happens to all of us sometimes :lol: No worries.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Hey you American highpointers: have any of you done Mt Sunflower, sea-to-summit?

Not laughing now, are we?

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:33 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:
Hotoven wrote:

Indeed. If Joe Brown himself rose from the grave to post on here, VM would jeer at him for climbing molehills.

The Welsh mountains are fantastic. And I say that as I look at Denali from my office window.

What are you saying!? Of course he's still alive! :o

I of course agree that Welsh mountains are fantastic though, but I'm a bit biased :wink:

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Nanuls wrote:
chugach mtn boy wrote:
Hotoven wrote:

What are you saying!? Of course he's still alive! :o

I thought so too!

Back to Snowdonian mountains. Yes the weather can change incredibly fast. My own personal record was climbing a gentle, wide slope to a broad ridge on a day with just clear blue skies and virtually no wind. I was less than 3000 feet up. Then I saw a thin line of cloud in front, coming up over the ridge. Just a few minutes later, (5 to 10), I was in a howling gale and near enough zero visibility. I only got off the slope without compass and map because I'd left footprints in the snow that didn't get filled in as the snow had part thawed and then frozen again.

With powder snow I'd have been in a white out and totally dependant on compass on map to get back down. And that is exactly what I had to do on Snowdon on 22nd February this year! I will get my TR up soon.

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Nothing better than a n00b making fun of the accomplishments of others... Tell us more about climbing 60 degree slopes on Casaval :lol:

Emmie, hope you'll enjoy your new adventure. And don't pay too much attention to those "hardcore climbers".

PreviousNext

Return to General