ktm - luckla plane crashes

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
zebedee

ktm - luckla plane crashes

by zebedee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:50 am

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0824/nepal.html

very sad. this has to be the scariest flight in the world

emmieuk

by emmieuk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:10 pm

yikes....

flying to Lukla next year and this is the bit I am dreading the most not the hiking or altitude sickness...this flight :(

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:56 pm

This flight is awesome!!! E ticket ride!! They leave the cockpit door open so you can look right out the windshield and freak out when you see that little runway on the side of the mountain.

Runs uphill. So it adds to the speed smear on landing and speeds up the takeoff. When the weather is right, the Otters come in one right after the other. The article says it didn't actually crash at the airport, but was on it's way back after boloing the landing.

Seems strange. usually they have a lot of people waiting at KTU and when conditions are right they send them out one right after the other. I wonder why they took off from KTU if conditions weren't right? It's not that far.

RIP

LasseS

by LasseS » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Well the plane didn´t crach in Lukla since it had turned around: www aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=76464 I think Lukla is not that bad now when the strip is paved, thats in good weather of course

Return to News