Newb saying Hi

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Gator

Newb saying Hi

by Gator » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Just joined and wanted to say hi. Living in south Florida I do not run into many climbers and thought this site would be great for info and banter.
I just got back from the Tetons for a couple of weeks of hiking and climbing with my daughter. She and my son have been in the wild since they could walk. I was often the family "sherpa" on these trips and it would help get me ready for the after trip when my climbing friends would show up. This was her first multi pitch technical climbs. We did Pownell/Gilkey route on the Grand, East face of Tiwonott, the Shied in Hoback canyon. My son could not go due to school but has done some alpine climbing with me in Colorado and the North Cascades.
I have only climbed and hiked in North America. Tetons, Windrivers, northern North Cascades, Bugaboos, Canidan Rockies, Glacier, Yosemite, Colorado, N Carlonia, Tennessee and Alaska.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:28 pm

WELCOME GATOR. That's cool that your children participate with you in climbing activities.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Hello there and welcome!

Gator

by Gator » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks for the welcomes.

We did 16 days in Yosemite last year, beautiful area. I want to explore more of the high serria.

Lolli

by Lolli » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Welcome :-)

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Newb saying Hi

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:30 pm

Gator wrote: I have only climbed and hiked in North America. Tetons, Windrivers, northern North Cascades, Bugaboos, Canidan Rockies, Glacier, Yosemite, Colorado, N Carlonia, Tennessee and Alaska.

Only!

As if the North Cascades, Bugaboos, Canadian Rockies, Glacier, Yosemite, Colorado, N Carlonia, Tennessee and Alaska weren't good enough! You're funny!

Welcome!

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:57 am

HI. Daughters in Climbing.... nice.

James_W

by James_W » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:27 am

Nice Bugs pic Gator

lowlands

by lowlands » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Howdy!

Deb

by Deb » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:40 pm

"Like...HI!" from SoCal. :lol:

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:55 pm

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. If you like technical sports that involve trainnig, equipment, physical and mental challenges, and exploration, have you considered diving? It's a great sport that you can do when you aren't near mountains. The mountains here in CA are great and the Pacific ocean is beautiful, but I really miss the cave diving I did when I lived in Tampa. Being the first human ever to set eyes on a big underwater room is not like anything else...

Gator

by Gator » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 pm

I have been diving since I was 9 years old. Going fishing and diving this weekend. At least I can float over underwater mountains.

Nice guess on the Bugaboo photo.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:58 pm

RE diving vs. climbing - In the past I've thought about the parallels between diving and climbing. E.g., there is some similarity in the post-activity process of getting back to where you started in technical diving vs. techncial climbing, insofar as the post-climb descent, especially if it involves rappelling, and the post dive ascent, especially if involves a long decompression with gas switches and open water drifting, often seem easy but in fact are often the most likely part of the process to get you killed if you get sloppy. But this weekend, after doing a deep dive with a long decompression, I realized there's a big difference - you hardly ever get to play with curious and friendly wild animals on a climbing descent:

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/v/local/DolphinsAtNixies/_DSC8812.jpg.html

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/v/local/DolphinsAtNixies/_DSC8778.jpg.html

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:36 pm

JHH60 wrote:RE diving vs. climbing - In the past I've thought about the parallels between diving and climbing. E.g., there is some similarity in the post-activity process of getting back to where you started in technical diving vs. techncial climbing, insofar as the post-climb descent, especially if it involves rappelling, and the post dive ascent, especially if involves a long decompression with gas switches and open water drifting, often seem easy but in fact are often the most likely part of the process to get you killed if you get sloppy. But this weekend, after doing a deep dive with a long decompression, I realized there's a big difference - you hardly ever get to play with curious and friendly wild animals on a climbing descent:

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/v/local/DolphinsAtNixies/_DSC8812.jpg.html

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/v/local/DolphinsAtNixies/_DSC8778.jpg.html

Being two risky activities there are lots of parallels. Lack of concentration can get you in big trouble quickly in both. But one big difference I think is that in climbing your partner is likely to be a lot more useful in an emergency than the normal recreational diving partner. You wouldn't rope up on a glacier with someone unless you knew he had basic rescue skills like knowing how to construct a Z-pulley system, but I don't think recreational divers use the same standards when picking dive partners. Wow, this thread got off-track big time.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:Being two risky activities there are lots of parallels. Lack of concentration can get you in big trouble quickly in both. But one big difference I think is that in climbing your partner is likely to be a lot more useful in an emergency than the normal recreational diving partner. You wouldn't rope up on a glacier with someone unless you knew he had basic rescue skills like knowing how to construct a Z-pulley system, but I don't think recreational divers use the same standards when picking dive partners. Wow, this thread got off-track big time.

That's true at the purely recreational diving level, but the climbing analogy of this would be class 1, 2 or maybe 3 stuff, where most people choose their climbing buddies casually as well. When you get into technical diving, you (or at least I) choose buddies more carefully. If you're cave diving, for example, and have a catastrophic gas failure a half mile from the exit, or are doing a gas switch on an ocean decompression dive and accidently grab the oxygen regulator at 120', your buddy's training and skill is what stands between you and death.

Apologies for the thread hijack. :wink:

Next

Return to General