DWA illegally harrasing hikers at snow creek

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tomd

by tomd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:29 pm

If you go around the DWA land you still need a permit.

State Park rules:
"They do not allow a mail in method for dayhiking permits.
(Overnight permits if requested by mail must be done 10 days ahead).

the Forest Service DO allow a mail method, but you still need to mail it in far in advance for them to mail you back an approval. You need to write on the permit that it's for a day-hike, since this mail in method is normally used for overnight.
http://www.fsva.org/pdf/Wilderness%20Pe ... 20MSJW.pdf "

Snowball

by Snowball » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Steve1215 wrote:
~~steve

Btw, guess what? TODAY is the 78th anniversary of SNOW CREEK’s FIRST ASCENT. On April 16, 1932, Howard J. Sloan, Morgan Leonard, and Glenn Rickenbough first climbed this famous snow couloir.

Happy Birthday, Snow Creek

possible CORRECTION. where did u get that info?

i think those guys were the first to summit SJP, but not via the Snow Creek. i have some first-hand info of the FA of snow creek: 8 yrs ago up in idyllwild, i met a SB search + rescue guy 70+yrs old who said he was on the the first ascent group of it in his Ked shoes in snow. Mccalister i believe. tough tall and healthy dude. we talked at length about it. the climbing store owner knew him too. he also would lead the S+R peeps up and down the snowcreek in winter for training. he aslo would take huge troops of boy scouts up scnowcreek in summer (like 20-30) kids. other stories too...
Last edited by Snowball on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brotherbbock

by brotherbbock » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:22 pm

MikeTX wrote:i always feel a little like a kid on christmas when i look on my screen and see that steve has posted something.

All I can say is wow. :?:

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Steve1215 wrote:
Dr. Zeeman’s biological model tries to assess the probable behavior of a theoretical angry hound dog.

I might be willing to take my chances with a theoretical angry hound dog but maybe not with a large real time angry guard in the empirical world.

Steve1215 wrote:You will probably want to do this at your own risk. A few tenured mathematicians in the 1970s considered Christopher Zeeman’s books to be scientifically “irresponsible” and bordering on the metaphysical.

I think maybe lots of outdoors types appreciate the metaphysical.

All in all, interesting "outside the box" ruminations Steve. I must say, it sounds like there was some inspirational karma blowing around in Big Santa Anita Canyon the day you were there.

Cheers,

Augie

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Snowball wrote:
Steve1215 wrote:
~~steve

Btw, guess what? TODAY is the 78th anniversary of SNOW CREEK’s FIRST ASCENT. On April 16, 1932, Howard J. Sloan, Morgan Leonard, and Glenn Rickenbough first climbed this famous snow couloir.

i think those guys were the first to summit SJP, but not via the Snow Creek. i have some first-hand info of the FA of snow creek: 8 yrs ago up in idyllwild, i met a SB search + rescue guy 70+yrs old who said he was on the the first ascent group of it in his Ked shoes in snow. Mccalister i believe. tough tall and healthy dude. we talked at length about it. the climbing store owner knew him too. he also would lead the S+R peeps up and down the snowcreek in winter for training. he aslo would take huge troops of boy scouts up scnowcreek in summer (like 20-30) kids. other stories too...

Ahh, didn't ol' man Mr. Muir climb it as well? Would certainly have been before the 1930's. .

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Dave K wrote:Saturday morning at 8 a.m., I plan to hike onto DWA property and poop in the watershed.

Anyone else want to join me?

Don't be silly, this is illegal!!! You should simply poop on the public land, then heave it into the DWA property from outside. Simple.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Wouldn't it be a better solution to park at the tram station, then have a 'support team member' (or a taxi) drive the 'climbing team' to the trailhead for the bypass route? If one were really paranoid, the dropoff could be some distance to the east of the normal trailhead.

Cy Kaicener

DWA illegally harassing hikers at Snow Creek

by Cy Kaicener » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:47 pm

Snowball wrote:
Steve1215 wrote:
~~steve

I also read about this 70+ year old being the first to climb Snow Creek somewhere on the mtsanjacinto.info forum. As far as documented climbing, Ruth Dyar Mendenhall climbed it in 1938
http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-Spr ... mp-Beyond/

Snowball

Re: DWA illegally harassing hikers at Snow Creek

by Snowball » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:48 am

Cy Kaicener wrote:
Snowball wrote:
Steve1215 wrote:
~~steve

I also read about this 70+ year old being the first to climb Snow Creek somewhere on the mtsanjacinto.info forum. As far as documented climbing, Ruth Dyar Mendenhall climbed it in 1938
http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-Spr ... mp-Beyond/

Thanks! Yes, that article mentions the guy I met (I had his name wrong):

Jim Fairchild’s Boy Scout Troop 13 made a ritual of tackling the North Face. Fairchild, who died last February, founded the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit, still in operation today. RIP

tinaballina

by tinaballina » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:29 am

TR for SNOW CREEK (YES, I SAID IT SNOW CREEK, SNOW CREEK, SNOW CREEK).

Hard, Harder and Hardest

But so worth it....I still am glowing with such a high.

http://bluerail.smugmug.com/Other/snowcreek-41810/11881158_DUfZj#840667245_7zZiu

tinaballina

by tinaballina » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:42 am

squishy wrote:Did you leave some poo poo up there?

Have to laugh because you are asking that question and your username is "squishy" sorry had to go there.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 am

tinaballina wrote:TR for SNOW CREEK (YES, I SAID IT SNOW CREEK, SNOW CREEK, SNOW CREEK).

Hard, Harder and Hardest

http://bluerail.smugmug.com/Other/snowcreek-41810/11881158_DUfZj#840667245_7zZiu

Very nice!! At first I thought Tina Tretina had resurrected on SP under another name :D

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 am

Nice photos tina! Im kinda dissapointed that you didnt meet any dwa folks, i would have liked to see hat happend (aka the carnage) :D

-CS

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:01 am

What Tina didn't mention is that they skirted way around the DWA property. Their roundabout approach to the snow tongue took something like eight hours. And then they climbed 5000+ vertical feet of continuous 40+ degree snow, including postholing and clambering over loads of avalanche debris. Nice job!

Snowball

by Snowball » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:15 am

tinaballina wrote:TR for SNOW CREEK (YES, I SAID IT SNOW CREEK, SNOW CREEK, SNOW CREEK).

Hard, Harder and Hardest

Cool pics... Looks like you all had a great time...!

PreviousNext

Return to California