Mountain Climbing and Rock Climbing...do you do both?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
pyerger

climbing

by pyerger » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:11 pm

mountain climbing, and rock climbing, really complement each other well. I'm probably a mountaineer first, and a rock climber second. But since mountaineering can be seasonal. rock climbing can fill the gap. Plus you need both skills for doing any kind of alpine climbing.

Don't forget about ICE CLIMBING!

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:There is NOTHING better than alpine rock climbing.

precisely! thank you!

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:27 pm

sharperblue wrote:

precisely! thank you!

Agreed!

But to answer your question, it really depends on what kind of objectives you set for yourself. If you intend on just doing class 1 and 2, long slow slogs, that kind of thing, then they're won't be much benefit. If you start scrambling, however, things where you'll be using both your hands and your feet, it will be a big boost. One, you'll be much more solid on the rock; and, two, you'll be much more confident moving quickly and safely on that type of terrain.

Given how big mountains are and how quickly weather can change, speed often equals safety. If you're scrambling up a long ridge, you'll need the skills and strength to get up and down fast. Also, climbing often puts you in situations that you hadn't intended. You could slip off an easy ridge and need to climb a steep wall to get back on route. You could get off route and need to climb something to continue or retreat, etc., etc., etc.

You need to learn to climb rock, however, No big plastic holds in the mountains. Lots of good cragging in the UK. Take a lesson and learn on the real thing. The gym is just a place to get fit. Unless you have an underlying skill set on the real thing, IMHO gyms are pretty close to being worthless.

Joe White

by Joe White » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:36 pm

sharperblue wrote:

precisely! thank you!

quite right

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:38 pm

fatdad wrote: IMHO gyms are pretty close to being worthless.

I think so too! :D

Although for starting out and getting use to the ropes they are helpful. By the time you consider yourself a "rock climber" you will hate gyms.

Jukka Ahonen

by Jukka Ahonen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:41 pm

fatdad wrote:You need to learn to climb rock, however, No big plastic holds in the mountains. Lots of good cragging in the UK. Take a lesson and learn on the real thing. The gym is just a place to get fit. Unless you have an underlying skill set on the real thing, IMHO gyms are pretty close to being worthless.

I agree with you on the longer run. But in my experience people tend to learn basics much faster indoors, especially through indoors bouldering. The safe, easy-to-approach environment, and ease of path finding enable one to focus on learning technique and building strength where it counts. And what I think is most important, they seem to build confidence in themselves faster as well.

Does indoor climbing substitute the "real thing"? No, it will not substitute high altitude alpine rock climbing, but neither does climbing a 30 ft crag. Both of them are ways to prepare for something more challenging. But just like that 30 ft crag is easier to reach for training purposes, so is the indoors gym for getting a lot of practice especially during the winter season.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:08 pm

For Scotland, you will soon be thinking about snow skills.

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:20 am

Also give some thought to Llama Trekking !

:mrgreen:

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:42 pm

For many summits, you NEED to be able to rock climb to get to the top. The Idol, the Worshipper, Bridge Mountain, Mescalito, Cathedral Peak, Courthouse Butte, Bell Rock, Bearhat, Flag Butte, the Acropolis, Mescal Mtn., Bad Rock Peak, Moran, Owen, the Grand, Lost Mtn., Coxcomb Pk., Pingora, the Fortress, and Baxter's Pinnacle come to mind immediately.

I'd think if you're into mountaineering you'd want to have decent skills on rock and ice at the very least, just in case you encounter those things on your way to the summit.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:32 pm

Nice list of peaks, but she lives in the UK, so think really big hill with a hard rocky bit on one side, scrambling up that in winter, full conditions.

James_W

Re: Mountain Climbing and Rock Climbing...do you do both?

by James_W » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I don't understand the dichotomy of your view. Rock climbing IS mountaineering. Yes of course it benefits - increased skills. I have never understood this notion very well of incomplete mountaineers.

Skiing, rock climbing, ice climbing, bouldering, aid climbing, free climbing, hiking up a slag heap - its ALL mountaineering.

Cheers
DMT

Well said.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:38 am

SpiderSavage wrote:Nice list of peaks, but she lives in the UK, so think really big hill with a hard rocky bit on one side, scrambling up that in winter, full conditions.

Sgurr Dearg

More from Skye

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:12 am

SpiderSavage wrote:Nice list of peaks, but she lives in the UK, so think really big hill with a hard rocky bit on one side, scrambling up that in winter, full conditions.

Ah, good point. I just started to think of summits that require some rock climbing... and off the brain went. :oops:

emmieuk

by emmieuk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:31 am

:D I really do appreciate all your help guys! x
Couldnt get in to the rock climbing place this weekend so I shall go the one after. Been reading into it a bit and think possibly finding a beginners outdoor rock climbing would be better as I dont want to get used to griping on to something indoors that wont be there in the real outdoors!!

You have all been a huge help so cheers xx

Gator

by Gator » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm more of a mountaineer but rock climb too. This summer I met some people at the Climbers Ranch in the Tetons. One of the girls had climbed in the gunks and was doing well there. This was her first time trying all out mountaineering and it really kicked her ass. Not only was she not prepared for the amount of effort to climb some of these peeks she was totally out of her element in all the transition areas. Moving from tallus, scree, vertical, then wet then back to loose ect., really messed with her. Not to mention all the sections of class 4/5 that were often climbed with out ropes in the name of speed plus all the down climbing. Car to car of the Grand.... out of the question. She learned quickly that you need to be in very good shape for the mountains, climb several grades lower and to leave the Starbucks coffee for the drive up and start climbing routes. She is going to go all out next season and I know she will be fine. Even with all of her frustration she really loved it and has now opened a whole new world.

PreviousNext

Return to General