Database Purge To Occur Soon-- Check Your Inbox

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Posts from a now-deleted thread (deleted because of redundancy):

hansw wrote:

Maybe you should also remind people do delete “Previous versions” of their pages? Often people submit a page section by section leaving many old versions behind.

mrchad9 wrote:
truchas wrote:I thought Matt said that the information is still retained even if you chose to delete it?

It is for photos at least. So deleting them accomplishes nothing (except that the site looks cleaner).

Bob Sihler wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
truchas wrote:I thought Matt said that the information is still retained even if you chose to delete it?

It is for photos at least. So deleting them accomplishes nothing (except that the site looks cleaner).

Matt has said that this time around, deleted items will be truly gone after he works his little magic next week.

Montana Matt wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:he is deleting 8 MB photos? or just 10 byte PMs?

the note I got from the elves only mentioned PMs.

The PMs are the main issue. The PM database table is getting too large.

I will not delete any photos. The issue isn't with disk space. And even if it were, all of the photos are now hosted on RackSpace Cloud Files, so they don't occupy any disk space on the SP server.

However, I have changed the code to actually delete images from its location on the CloudFiles when a user deletes an image. So, if you delete images now, they will actually be deleted from the system. Due to caching, it will take an hour or more for deleted images to actually disappear though.

Bob Sihler wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:

Matt has said that this time around, deleted items will be truly gone after he works his little magic next week.

he is deleting 8 MB photos? or just 10 byte PMs?

the note I got from the elves only mentioned PMs.

Actually, it does mention photos as well. I know the guy who wrote it, so trust me. :wink:

Mountain Impulse wrote:
Montana Matt wrote: So, if you delete images now, they will actually be deleted from the system.

And if you delete an image from your gallery that is attached to or inserted in a page, then it will be deleted from the page as well correct?

mrchad9 wrote:So we can no longer load a photo to SP to show it in a forum post, and delete it yet it stays in the post?

If you quote, make sure you quote the right person!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:55 pm

People, your photos and albums are not going to be deleted.

What we've said is that if you delete something, it is going to go away for good. In the past, deleted objects could sometimes be retrieved.

So if you delete an album of yours today and want it back next week, it won't happen.

I don't know the answer to deleted pictures that are still displayed on pages.
Last edited by Bob Sihler on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Ack! Now everyone knows my real name Bob!

:evil:

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:08 pm

mrchad9 wrote:he is deleting 8 MB photos? or just 10 byte PMs?

10-byte PM's ?? Dude, you have clearly never gotten a PM from Vitaliy :lol:

But seriously, the default behavior when replying to a PM is to quote it. If the conversation goes on for a while the message gets really long. And the subject line gets "Re: Re: Re:"'d ad nauseum. Granted, I like to truncate that stuff but probably for most folks it's too much work.

Ah, what fun sifting through old PM's .. the nostalgia of trips planned, discussions about routes, beta .. memories of good times with good people.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:51 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Ack! Now everyone knows my real name Bob!

:evil:

Not anymore. :D

hansw

by hansw » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:44 pm

mrchad9 wrote:So we can no longer load a photo to SP to show it in a forum post, and delete it yet it stays in the post?

Gangolf!

This will ruin 1655 Who was he? pages. :shock: :shock: :shock:

What to do?

From the “Who was he?” instructions:

4b. Or use Gangolf's method: Upload the picture to SP here (check Image), use the link for e.g. the small representation of the picture, like this example
http://www.summitpost.org/images/small/142051.jpg
After you posted here, simply delete the picture page. The image will stay on this thread.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:18 am

Wow, that was fun. Twenty-six pages of messages. Six-page missals from girls who got married, advice from fellow climbers, hate mail from climbwild, jokes from long-gone SP members, climbing plans... hell, I don't even remember who some of those folks were any more.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:49 am

I know they would have got deleted automatically but I did enjoy going through old messages and having a laugh at some of them and reminiscing about trip plans etc. - and then purging them! Ah well, all things must pass - even Bryan's curry. :D

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:07 am

Buz Groshong wrote:If we need to free up space, we should get rid of the photo albums. If a photo isn't needed for a page or a profile, then it itsn't needed.

That's an extremely "hardcore" statement to make.

I'm not gettin' rid of any of my albums, so I guess you have
to put up with them.

:roll:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:22 am

sarah.simon wrote:Wow! I deleted 24 pages of PMs. Yikes! Thanks for the encouragement to do a little house cleaning! -Sarah

WHAT ?? 24 pages?

I always THOUGHT that was the woman's job, house-cleaning that is..

If my wife goes to another yard sale, I'm gonna KILL myself!

:lol:

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:38 am

Here lies lcarreau
beloved husband of she-who-could-not-be-controlled
another fully loaded barrow
robbed him of the will to grow old.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 am

dadndave wrote:Here lies lcarreau
beloved husband of she-who-could-not-be-controlled
another fully loaded barrow
robbed him of the will to grow old.

Wait ! I still need to visit the Republic of Northern Beerwah..

Do the women wear Dwindl dresses there ???

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:28 am

Funny you should mention that. I was coming out of the grog shop yesterday and a very attractive woman wearing a dirndl-style top was loading her car. If Bryan had been with me, I reckon he would've dropped the six-pack of Coopers when she bent down to pick up the next bag.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:17 am

I just deleted a bunch of stuff (including photos), but it will take time to go through it all.

Just a few suggestions:

What about setting SP to delete all the Plans and Partners request that are long out of date? Many trips on there are looking for people to do climbs for a specific date over three years ago. The trip is long over.

Also, it would be useful for the page maintainers to be able to delete comments added to their pages. I alone have a couple thousand plus and many of them are no longer applicable. I know I'm not alone. Just a suggestion.

PreviousNext

Return to General