Can you sleep at Sierra Trailheads in your vehicle?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:30 pm

x15x15 wrote:...not a claim, just a fact.

Legend in his own mind... CitySlickerSackman15!

Gotta ring to it don't it.

Too bad ya can only climb on the weekends. Then on top of it all, ya gotta drive hours and hours to get to them T/H's, SackMan.

****It's nice cuz it leaves the areas void of weekend warrior dazed wanna-be yacken sackmen as yourself, for us few hardcores that live up here. Please do keep your overwhelming ego filled sackness, down there.

x15x15

by x15x15 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:57 pm

The Chief wrote:
x15x15 wrote:...not a claim, just a fact.

Legend in his own mind... CitySlickerSackman15!

Gotta ring to it don't it.

Too bad ya can only climb on the weekends. Then on top of it all, ya gotta drive hours and hours to get to them T/H's, SackMan.

****It's nice cuz it leaves the areas void of weekend warrior dazed wanna-be yacken sackmen as yourself, for us few hardcores that live up here. Please do keep your overwhelming ego filled sackness, down there.

i gotta admit MR. INTERNET RAG, i laughed my lunch out my nose. fortunately, i rarely bed down at the trailheads, only two weekend trips for me in a couple years. and only one trip did i run into anyone else... matter of fact, on weekends you will find me at home with my family. and i really don't live in, or near a city either. so, i guess your little "gem" of a name doesn't really apply. but, it was still funny. sorry you used up your brain power for the week.

but rags like you don't really need their brain. Keep it up, RAG MAN. you provide a great service in the fantasy world of the internet...

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:09 pm

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:15 pm

The Chief wrote:****It's nice cuz it leaves the areas void of weekend warrior dazed wanna-be yacken sackmen as yourself, for us few hardcores that live up here. Please do keep your overwhelming ego filled sackness, down there.

i wear The Chief has Darija as his apprentice.

back on topic, has anybody heard of a few juveniles going around smearing shit on hikers' car windows at Whitney Portal because they didn't like the fact that the hikers sleep at the trailhead? i heard it somewhere...

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:52 pm

kevin trieu wrote:back on topic, has anybody heard of a few juveniles going around smearing shit on hikers' car windows at Whitney Portal because they didn't like the fact that the hikers sleep at the trailhead? i heard it somewhere...

It happened at the South Lake TH on Aug 12. Some of The SC folks were sleeping there when a handful of ruffians showed up yelling and screaming and threatening to tow all the cars away. Then they looked for the "gayest" vehicle and took a shit on the window. I heard about it the next morning. Must not be enough things on the East Side to keep the kids entertained.

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 pm

x15x15 wrote:and, folks actually sleep at these trailheads? usually, i arrive at 9pm, sort, rack and pack. then i lay my body down. finally, i lie there getting all psyched for the impending shit storm that is about to happen at 3am.

Sometimes I have trouble with that too. It helps if I can get there ahead of time and go for a hike or something, so that I am kind of tired. Melatonin helps me sleep also.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I prefer to sleep down in the desert, warm and cozy on a nice bed of sand, sage scented breeze. Get up an hour earlier, brew up laying there in the bag, let the dark liquid do its magic, go have a low impact shit, then drive to the trailhead.

Most times (not all, but most) we arrive to find the trailhead bivi crews shivering their asses off and still not ready to go.

Sleep is much better down low.

But have bivied at the parking lot in question a few times, too.

Cheers SPers!

DMT

ps. For those of you remarking on lack of ability to sleep at trailhead elevations, try the desert floor bivi, it may bring you additional Zzzzzzs. It certainly works better for moi.

I've got to agree this is a better way to do it. I rarely sleep at the higher elevation trailheads anymore.

Vertigo soul

by Vertigo soul » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:42 am

KathyW wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:I prefer to sleep down in the desert, warm and cozy on a nice bed of sand, sage scented breeze. Get up an hour earlier, brew up laying there in the bag, let the dark liquid do its magic, go have a low impact shit, then drive to the trailhead.

Most times (not all, but most) we arrive to find the trailhead bivi crews shivering their asses off and still not ready to go.

Sleep is much better down low.

But have bivied at the parking lot in question a few times, too.

Cheers SPers!

DMT

ps. For those of you remarking on lack of ability to sleep at trailhead elevations, try the desert floor bivi, it may bring you additional Zzzzzzs. It certainly works better for moi.

I've got to agree this is a better way to do it. I rarely sleep at the higher elevation trailheads anymore.

Did exactly that last week before heading up to TR at S Lake. Almost followed DM's routine to a T, but had to break down and visit the dreaded Starbucks in Bishop. At least I had the restroom to myself though, so was able to still keep it "low impact".

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:49 am

Bob Burd wrote:
kevin trieu wrote:back on topic, has anybody heard of a few juveniles going around smearing shit on hikers' car windows at Whitney Portal because they didn't like the fact that the hikers sleep at the trailhead? i heard it somewhere...

It happened at the South Lake TH on Aug 12. Some of The SC folks were sleeping there when a handful of ruffians showed up yelling and screaming and threatening to tow all the cars away. Then they looked for the "gayest" vehicle and took a shit on the window. I heard about it the next morning. Must not be enough things on the East Side to keep the kids entertained.

Just got off the phone with a buddy at the Inyo County Sheriff's Office. They have no record what so ever of any of these incidents.

The local LEO's can not do anything if they have no reports of any incidents.

And who is to say that these are Eastside Kids?

Why didn't anyone confront any of the culprits, detain them (Citizens Arrest) and then haul their asses down to Bishop???

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:15 am

Vitaliy M wrote:-Sheriff has no record, since it wasn't reported (as far as I know). What would Sheriff do? Drive around looking for kids with a pick up truck who have shit in possession? Please be a grown up, if you were trying to make it through 10 days of death marches you wouldn't spent an hour of your time (that you can spent resting) writing a pointless report.

The Chief wrote:Why didn't anyone confront any of the culprits, detain them (Citizens Arrest) and then haul their asses down to Bishop???

-It happened during the night at some point. I heard about it in the morning. At the time of the event I was sleeping in my tent (which I pitched on the grass, in front of my car). I have no idea how many of them were there, but I don't think whoever that happened to wanted to come out and have shit thrown at him, or what if they jumped him? Personally, I don't think it is a great idea to confront people that are idiotic enough to drive to trail heads in the middle of the night and throw shit. Than again, it is not a great idea to explain things to "

"Who said they were east side kids?"
-Logic

Typical city mentality.

- Both the INYO and MONO COUNTY Sheriff's take this kind of shit very seriously as it affects the #1 source of revenue in both counties... TOURISM! After my conversation with buddy ICS down in Bishop, he will pass the word to his fellow Deps to maintain a lookout as well as inform the USFS Patrol LEO'S that frequent those areas as part of their beats.

- That is why we carry weapons in our vehicles here in both of these counties. That is also why these punks continue harassing you T/H Campers. They know that you won't confront them. All it takes is one time, detain them and turn them into the County Sheriff and the deal is over, trust me.

We had a similar situ occurring a couple of years ago. It instantly ended when a couple of locals confronted the "yuts", detained two of em, contacted the local LEO's who quickly responded, arrested them etc. They were jailed for 6 six days awaiting arrainment, got their hearing and served 120 days in the Bridgeport County Jail. All the shit ended. Oh, and they were not local kids. Nope. They were punk wanna-be bangers from Palmdale.

Logic... this aint the city.

PS: I suggest that you get together with SACKMAN (who confesses to be fearless etc) and confront these punks.

Unless you do something to stop this type of behavior at the time, I suggest you stfu and stop whining.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:34 am

Actually, the number one source of revenue for Inyo County is the City of Los Angeles. Property taxes on all that land they own for the water rights. But I get the point. However, I have never seen a LEO at ANY of the trailheads. Hard to imagine they frequent them enough to affect the local shit throwers.

But I sure as hell would have reported it. That's some sick bastard that gets his jollies off doing that. One reason I hope if I ever have a kid that its a girl. Don't want to be spending my final days in prison because I murdered my son after I got the "your boy was throwing shit" phone call from the police.

And is a citizens arrest even a real thing? Seems like a myth. I mean, how does that work? "Excuse me sir, you need stay here until the sheriff arrives and can haul you away, you are under arrest. And don't throw shit at me while we wait."

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:42 am

Bob Burd wrote:

so who's the winner with the "gayest" car?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 am

kevin trieu wrote:so who's the winner with the "gayest" car?

It was the guy with the most eco stickers on his sub-compact car.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:24 am

Bob Burd wrote:

Damn!

Those kids must of had a hell of a time trying to figure out which one needed the most shitting on.

Your description Bob, covers 90%+ of most vehicles parked at any Eastside T/H!

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:45 pm

The Chief wrote:
Bob Burd wrote:

Damn!

Those kids must of had a hell of a time trying to figure out which one needed the most shitting on.

Your description Bob, covers 90%+ of most vehicles parked at any Eastside T/H!

:lol:

PreviousNext

Return to California