Nano Puff Worth it?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
connollyck

Nano Puff Worth it?

by connollyck » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:21 am

Whos got one, what do you wear it for? My gear whoreness just forced me to pick up a new one for 100 bucks online. Going to use it as a warm winter layer instead of a fleece, but trying to find other uses.

Far as outerwear, I already have:

Hooded patagucc down sweater for light belay duty.
marmot windshirt
pata ascentionist
pata r1 hoody
FF volant

where does the nano puff fit in for you?

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Using such as a mid-layer doubles (triples? incl. the lining) the membranes in your system thus substantially decreasing its breathability. There's no point having a fancy breathable shell if you wear a nylon membrane under it, on top of synth insulation, on top of baselayer insulation. Most people moving for alpine climbing would find that too hot and sweaty. The advantage of fleece is that it insulates by trapping some air but is very breathable of moisture.

Anything without a hood is useless as an outer insulation layer for mountain use - loses too much heat out the neck, snow goes down inside, does not insulate the head etc etc.

I'd say a Nano Puff is great for sitting around campfires, walking to the pub, or shopping at Ikea.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:44 pm

I have the NanoPuff Hoody for light weight puffy duty. It is great for that.

I second the motion about it being no good as a mid layer for breathability reasons.

If I had a Nanopuff pullover I could see myself bringing it in a summit pack on spring and fall rock climbs were I usually bring a fleece, but rarely climb in it.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:I'd say a Nano Puff is great for sitting around campfires, walking to the pub, or shopping at Ikea.

Or sitting around at home if your a poor kid who can't afford to turn on the heat.

Tsuyoshi

by Tsuyoshi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:02 pm

nanopuff is great for alpine rock climbing in mild conditions. combine it with your r1 hoody and it's perfect for long rock climbs! sure, you might lose some heat with the lack of hood, but the last time i checked alpinism wasn't about pure comfort... fast and light usually means sacrificing comfort.

i used mine as a mid layer last winter (which was pretty mild) and loved it. in terms of nanopuff vs fleece as a mid layer, i think it's personal preference/condition dependent. after many days in the backcountry using the nano as a mid layer i can't say that it was not breathable... and i spent quite a bit of time constantly moving in it.

i wouldn't write off the nano as just a campfire jacket (though it does this too).

connollyck

by connollyck » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Patagonia advertises it as a midlayer for cold nasty weather. I've seen people wearing them as an outer layer slogging up shasta, and I've seen people wear them as a midlayer on Rainier in cold weather.
I'm wondering if this need is already fulfilled by my hooded down sweater and I dont really need this.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I'd say yes, your need is already met with the hooded down sweater. One is down and hooded, the other synthetic and not hooded. Similar weight, etc. Don't get the down wet and use it for just what you're intending, ie. midlayer when cold and nasty, outerlayer when you want it for that. Nano puff isn't going to do anything different, except insulate if it gets wet, etc. Just keep the down dry and you'll be fine and happy. Hooded, no less!

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 pm

I just looked at this on the Patagonia website and it appears to be a renamed PuffBall.

Five years ago, I did the more-or-less standard Ecuador Volcanos trip with roughly one mountain per day. Nearly every day it rained or snowed so I got a chance to experiment with different combinations. The rainsuit had me sweating inside to the point waterproof didn't matter, the Hard Shell dried slowly at night, only the Puffball hit that happy medium of breathability and warmth. The thermal sucked up so much water, it was heavy being the major drawback but dried quickly. The water didn't get to my skin.

Patagonia, btw, marketed it as a sweater.

For me, its got more warmth per ounce than any other outer I have. That said, I've also used it as a mid layer with my Hardshell Parka. Nice combo in 40 below and wind. Wraps up tightly in its hood, doesn't take a lot of space and doesn't weigh much.

Sooo.... bottom line time.... Its a nice garment to have in your pack on a multi day expedition but you should have other outer layers.

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:37 am

Nah, John, it's actually called the Nano puff. Comes in a hoody version also.
I know they used to make, maybe still do, the Puffball you're referring to, but, don't think that's what the OP had in mind.
Rather, this, the Nanopuff. And, I like what you had to say about layering with it. I believe it's warmer than fleece, more compressible, etc. Maybe doesn't breathe as well, no, but, for the right circumstances, ie, cold, I think it's a better mid layer as well as outer layer.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/pat ... 4020-0-803

Actually, looking at the website, not sure they still make the puff ball. Saw it in a vest, but that's it, for adults anyway.

no avatar
ZethKinnett

by ZethKinnett » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:01 am

Dude, backcountry has a really good deal right now on Stoic Lufts which are 6oz heavier but have a hood and 100g of insulation vs 60g. Oh, also, the deal is for $50, which is just too good.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:06 am

Hotoven wrote:
Damien Gildea wrote:I'd say a Nano Puff is great for sitting around campfires, walking to the pub, or shopping at Ikea.

Or sitting around at home if your a poor kid who can't afford to turn on the heat.

I call shenanigans. Your home looks like a cheap motel room and you look like someone else!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Hotoven wrote:

I call shenanigans. Your home looks like a cheap motel room and you look like someone else!

Sigh....Your right, its not me or my house. No worries though, my parents pay for the heat! (Although they make me shovel all the coal :( )

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:43 pm

dskoon wrote:Actually, looking at the website, not sure they still make the puff ball. Saw it in a vest, but that's it, for adults anyway.

:lol:

I was just thinking how dated my gear is. Been a rough summer for gear. Destroyed 2 underwater cameras for one thing.

But I love my Puff. After a night and day of barfing, I need comfort clothes and who can put a price on that?

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Ah, there he is in that ol' Puff ball, looking happy.
"Night and day barfing?" Altitude? Bad food? Well, least you got that puff ball to, as you say, "take comfort in."
I do know what you mean, however, regarding clothes that are like comfort food. Once you slip on that favorite piece of clothing, jacket, etc. (usually something warm, if we're talking "comfort"), that piece of mind, happiness quotient goes way up.

Destroyed two underwater cameras? Yikes. Maybe more time paddling and less time trying to be Jacquese Cousteau. :)

no avatar
hatidua

Re: Nano Puff Worth it?

by hatidua » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:56 am

I've found the Nanopuff to be just about right for the 14'ers here in CO in Summer. I recently switched to the hooded version and it was nice to have at Trail Camp on Whitney last week. Might not be the right piece of gear for everyone but I find them to be quite useful.

Return to Gear