Snowshoes

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Jimmie

 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:19 pm
Thanked: 46 times in 29 posts

Snowshoes

by Jimmie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm looking for snowshoes to be used in late autumn/early winter. The terrain they will be used is mainly above the tree line, in conditions where there's 30-60 cm/1-2 feet of snow thats partly covering the rocks. The snow could both be powder or firm.

The snowshoes will typically be used for ascending and descending peaks, meaning a lot up and down and not so much flat terrain.

Most of the snowshoes I've looked at seem to be suitable for ascending mountains, and not so much descending them.

So what suggestions do people have?
"That would be utterly uncharacteristic of Suleimani, but possible. Especially since he now lacks a head. When your head is removed, it can change your patterns of behaviour."

User Avatar
drpw

 
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:47 pm
Thanked: 21 times in 17 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by drpw » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:58 pm

MSR Denali Ascents. Not the EVO Ascents, just the regular ones. The EVO's are flimsier and have a wierd folding problem and they are also narrower and can't take 8" tails. The climbing bar is a lifesaver though.

Descending with any snowshoes is pretty easy providing the crampons on them are good enough. Facing out from the slope you just walk down. Easy.

If you know how to ski, I would entertain the idea of skiing/skinning, so much faster and easier and will kill it on the way down.

User Avatar
96avs01

 
Posts: 1551
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:31 pm
Thanked: 53 times in 43 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by 96avs01 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:36 pm

^^^Agreed

User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4483
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Thanked: 1316 times in 895 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by mrchad9 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:40 pm

^^^Agreed again

no avatar
Jimmie

 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:19 pm
Thanked: 46 times in 29 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by Jimmie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

The snowshoes are to be used before the skiing season starts, in other words when there's no enough snow for skiing but a bit too much snow for easy hiking up the mountains.

Anyone have experience with the Atlas 1230?
"That would be utterly uncharacteristic of Suleimani, but possible. Especially since he now lacks a head. When your head is removed, it can change your patterns of behaviour."

User Avatar
drpw

 
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:47 pm
Thanked: 21 times in 17 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by drpw » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:29 pm

The Denali's are injection molded, they are bomb proof, they're lighter, and they cost half as much. The fangs on the ascents are awesome too, I've gone up extremely hard 45deg snow in them that others opted to switch out to crampons for and felt perfectly secure.

http://www.jaxmercantile.com/product.ph ... ctid=70727

User Avatar
Hotoven

 
Posts: 1864
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm
Thanked: 118 times in 89 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by Hotoven » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Be careful if you are walking in and around rocks that are only partly covered in snow. There are many ways one can twist an ankle doing that.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

User Avatar
Tonka

 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:24 pm
Thanked: 115 times in 88 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by Tonka » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:46 pm

drpw wrote:The Denali's are injection molded, they are bomb proof, they're lighter, and they cost half as much. The fangs on the ascents are awesome too, I've gone up extremely hard 45deg snow in them that others opted to switch out to crampons for and felt perfectly secure.

http://www.jaxmercantile.com/product.ph ... ctid=70727


That's a pretty good price. I was just going to say find the Denali Classics for $99 bucks. I've had mine for years and they just look better the more beat up they get. Almost all the snowshoeing I do is up or down and they work well. They are not really the best option for deep flat treks anyways. I'm surprised at how expensive snow shoes are these days.

User Avatar
SpiderSavage

 
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:37 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 4 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by SpiderSavage » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Different terrain calls for different snow shoes:

- Long and skinny for flat terrain and trails. Long and skinny for speed.
- Wide and round for areas were brush is covered and powder is deep.

- MSR Denali with toe crampon for climbing. The extensions are excellent if you need to carry an overnight pack.

BEST of all: Mountaineering Skis with Skins. Perfect for all of the above. Snowshoes fail when it comes to traversing. Skis are excellent for traversing. If you are going to climb mountains you want to learn to ski.

User Avatar
divnamite

 
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:32 am
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by divnamite » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Chewbacca wrote:Anyone have experience with the Atlas 1230?

I think I have the 1230. They have the round aluminum tubing for the frames, correct? They worked fine for me in the Daks on trails. Didn't use them on rocks though so I don't know how they perform.

User Avatar
Grampahawk

 
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:42 pm
Thanked: 8 times in 5 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by Grampahawk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:28 pm

drpw wrote:MSR Denali Ascents. Not the EVO Ascents, just the regular ones. The EVO's are flimsier and have a wierd folding problem and they are also narrower and can't take 8" tails. The climbing bar is a lifesaver though.

Descending with any snowshoes is pretty easy providing the crampons on them are good enough. Facing out from the slope you just walk down. Easy.

If you know how to ski, I would entertain the idea of skiing/skinning, so much faster and easier and will kill it on the way down.

I agree. I have the Denali Ascent EVO's and find that the heel "televator" can really help on the ascent of steep slopes. I found and easy way of working it with hiking poles so that I don't even have to bend down to release them also.

User Avatar
Joe White

 
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:51 pm
Thanked: 24 times in 17 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by Joe White » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:32 am

Tonka wrote:
drpw wrote:The Denali's are injection molded, they are bomb proof, they're lighter, and they cost half as much. The fangs on the ascents are awesome too, I've gone up extremely hard 45deg snow in them that others opted to switch out to crampons for and felt perfectly secure.

http://www.jaxmercantile.com/product.ph ... ctid=70727


That's a pretty good price. I was just going to say find the Denali Classics for $99 bucks. I've had mine for years and they just look better the more beat up they get. Almost all the snowshoeing I do is up or down and they work well. They are not really the best option for deep flat treks anyways. I'm surprised at how expensive snow shoes are these days.


agreed. The Denali's are all we've ever needed. They're a very good snowshoe....and when mine bust (if ever), I'll buy a new pair.

User Avatar
welle

 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 9:08 pm
Thanked: 21 times in 17 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by welle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:52 pm

drpw wrote:MSR Denali Ascents. Not the EVO Ascents, just the regular ones. The EVO's are flimsier and have a wierd folding problem and they are also narrower and can't take 8" tails. The climbing bar is a lifesaver though.


Not sure, but I think the regular ones are flimsier. Denali EVOs are bombproof and also take tails... Plus they have tapered design. I think you are confusing with MSR EVOs that looks like have replaced classic Denalis.

User Avatar
Grampahawk

 
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:42 pm
Thanked: 8 times in 5 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by Grampahawk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:01 pm

welle wrote:
drpw wrote:MSR Denali Ascents. Not the EVO Ascents, just the regular ones. The EVO's are flimsier and have a wierd folding problem and they are also narrower and can't take 8" tails. The climbing bar is a lifesaver though.


Not sure, but I think the regular ones are flimsier. Denali EVOs are bombproof and also take tails... Plus they have tapered design. I think you are confusing with MSR EVOs that looks like have replaced classic Denalis.

Now I'm not sure which model I Have. I know that they will take the tail extension, and have the heel elevator bar.

User Avatar
Kai

 
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:26 pm
Thanked: 56 times in 42 posts

Re: Snowshoes

by Kai » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 pm

The Yowie snowshoe is ideal for your purposes:

http://www.yowies.com.au/

Lighter than most of the other options mentioned above.

Next

Return to Gear

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests