Post climb burritos !

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Steve Larson

Re: Post climb burritos !

by Steve Larson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:30 am

There is a Mexican market/dump in Banning off 22nd St. that is a great post-Tahquitz burrito place. Found places in Fresno and Bakersfield area that also rock, way better than anything I've found in Bishop.

+1 for the burritos at MonoMart (or whatever it's called) in Lee Vining. Not a good as the above-mentioned, but by far the best thing in the vicinity.

justing

by justing » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:50 am

rhyang wrote:This season I've been checking out the taquerias after climbing. Some places that I've enjoyed in Cali are -

• Bishop -- Taqueria Los Palmas, nice after the Palisades for example
  • Lee Vining -- Mono Mart, not really a taqueria, but they do have reasonably-priced "Monoritos" in case you are not up for $$$ fish tacos at the Whoa Nelli Deli :D Great on ice climbing trips.
  • Madera -- Taqueria Maranatha, spicy hot burritos after climbing at Tollhouse Rock. Monoritos wish they were this good 8)
  • Oakdale -- Taqueria El Agave, great after the Valley or Tuolumne

What are your fave post-climbing burrito places ?

To quickly erase a post-climb calorie deficit, might I recommend getting that Taqueria Las Palmas burrito enchilada style.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:52 am

Hmmm... just got a great idea.

Greasy Spoon Mexican Coke selling Burrito Roach Coach at the Poole Plant parking lot at the LVC T/H on the weekends.

Damn! I can't... got races to time on the weekends.

SHT.... FK .... GD!!!!!

PS:

SALSA's in Mammoth has a great fatass 3lb fresh Chicken Burrito for only a Saw Buck.

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 am

Burritos < Beer.

Always Always...

The following user would like to thank OJ Loenneker for this post
96avs01

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Up north here in Idaho, we go for KB's in Hailey. Sometimes the burritos is the main reason to go climbing. Fave is the shrimp/black bean.

KB = Ketchum Burrito. Their former slogan, probably cleaned up for the masses, was "We roll the fatties"

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Primo Burger in Mojave. It's a tradition.

Best food in that corner of the desert. But it ain't the Ritz.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Homemade Pizza at the corner Crowley Lake Store here in town.

All ingredients are fresh and very abundant.

WML

by WML » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:53 pm

I suppose I'll start closest to home and work out a little bit further

When returning to the Biggest Little City from a trip, Mi Ranchito is one of the better barrio treats. Featuring excellent food across the board, I usually go with the burritos and tacos. Outstanding!

After a day of casual cragging in Truckee, CA 45 minutes away, Bill's Rotisserie is an outstanding choice for Mexican food. Don't be fooled by the name, as I was when I worked at Squaw last winter, this place isn't your typical rotisserie place, this place has some of the best Mexican food I have encountered. The veggie tacos are cheap and come with significantly more food than the meat tacos (I'm not a vegetarian, but love value when it comes to food). Speaking of value, $5 for a huge chicken burrito is standard, but damn this place is good. They use black beans as opposed to pinto beans, a big winner in my book. Oh, and this place does not decimate my stomach, always a plus.

While hanging around that lawless East Side, one law I must abide: pay respects at Las Palmas. EXCELLENT service, good food...only have had the burritos, and will keep coming again and again for the burritos. And beer. Mmmm...beer. Anyone know if they serve margaritas there? If so, this place might just be heaven on Earth.

Making a pilgrimage back to where I went to high school, and my father still lives, climbing at Red Rock is always a pleasure. So much outstanding Mexican food nearby, yet so little time to hang around and enjoy it usually. Too much climbing going on, can't complain about that! Frank and Finas Cocina is a pretty quaint, good place to go eat after a rap epic in the canyons. Located conveniently near 215 and Flamingo, just 5 minutes after you get back on the 215 at Charleston from RR, this place is great. AlpineAffinity, flyingmonkeys, and myself met up with my family there after having an exciting little rap epic last November. Great place to have a margarita, eat some Mexican food, and make fun of one another.

Unfortunately, this place eventually closes (9pm i think?), so if you are either craving breakfast before going climbing, or are a little later in returning to Las Vegas from partying in the hills, climbing silly sandstone, and generally having a good time, head to local favorite Roberto's Taco Shop. Roberto's is a chain, but this ain't no taco bell. CHEAP, filling food (gigantic bean and cheese burrito for 2.50) and open 24 hours, serving breakfast that many hours as well I believe (outstanding breakfast burrito), and conveniently located all over the city, Roberto's is a can't-miss. If you have a weak stomach, I would not recommend hitting this place up if you're going on a longer route like Epinephrine, Prince of Darkness, or Dream of Wild Turkeys

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Whiskey Creek in Mammoth and Bishop has a happy hour special from 5-6 (IIRC) where the food is half price - you can get a steak or rack of ribs (or a salad or fish tacos or burger...) for the price of a burrito.

And while I enjoy a post climb burrito as much as anyone, it's a cruel thing to eat if you're spending the night in a tent with anyone else. :oops:

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm a self declared burrito expert. It's pretty much all I eat. To date, the best burrito I've ever had is from this place:

Zocalo Cocina Mexicana
203 Broadway, Arlington, MA

The thing is the size of a nerf football and 100% yum. very fresh.

welle

by welle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:24 pm

OJ Loenneker wrote:Burritos < Beer.

Always Always...

yes, yes, and yes. I'll eat a cardboard as long as it's served with a descent microbrew.

jmatthys

by jmatthys » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:06 pm

KB burritos in Ketchum, Idaho. Perfect stop after a day in the Sawtooths.

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander