What sucks about AZ

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
MoapaPk

Re: What sucks about AZ

by MoapaPk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:10 am

Hu-bris or No-bris?

Andinistaloco

Re: What sucks about AZ

by Andinistaloco » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:09 am

Day Hiker wrote:
Andinistaloco wrote:What on earth were you doing in Ajo? As far as I know it's not on the way to anywhere, except maybe Puerto Penasco.

It's on the road into Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, but I suspect you already know that if you know about Puerto Penasco. There is decent scenery and some peaks and good hiking in Organ Pipe.

I have even been there in the summer 3 or 4 times. They have some excellent monsoon storms in late summer, which is part of what allows all those cactus species to grow. But now that I have lived in a hot place for 10 years, I save any Organ Pipe trips for non-summer months.

I saw my one-and-only in-the-wild gila monster in Organ Pipe, in May 2001 I think.

Yeah, that's a pretty great place. Haven't done much climbing there, though I did get up Montezuma's Head, a nasty 5.7ish loose pile of crap just north of the park. Cool you got to see a Gila Monster. All these years in AZ and I've only seen one in the wild myself.

Previous

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)