Can't post in the forums?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Can't post in the forums?

by Bob Sihler » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:52 pm

A lot of people have been asking about this. They try to post and get sent to their profile pages.

All you have to do is log out and then log back in.

Matt announced this would happen, but many seem not to have seen that post. It even happened to me before I remembered what Matt said. :oops:
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Tonka

Re: Can't post in the forums?

by Tonka » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:04 pm

I was in Alaska over the last week while all the changes were talking place. Imagine leaving and coming back to your house completely redecorated. I got back this weekend and thought maybe someone took the link to your profile joke to the next level or I was getting kicked off SP.

blazin

by blazin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:49 pm

The problem is that this keeps happening to me if I've been logged in for more than 5 minutes. So, if it takes me too long to write a post, by the time I "hit" submit, I'm already sent to my user page. Annoying, but not insurmountable. Is a fix coming?

The following user would like to thank blazin for this post
WouterB

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:06 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:When will you guys be able to sticky some things?.????

I currently have a sticky on three separate threads, including this one.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

blazin

by blazin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:40 am

Montana Matt wrote:
blazin wrote:The problem is that this keeps happening to me if I've been logged in for more than 5 minutes. So, if it takes me too long to write a post, by the time I "hit" submit, I'm already sent to my user page. Annoying, but not insurmountable. Is a fix coming?

I've not yet experienced this and I've not heard anyone else mention it either, so I don't have any plans for a fix.

Have you cleared all of your cookies completely and then logged back in?

Switching from "log me out when I close my browser" to "keep me logged in" seems to have taken care of this for me. Thanks.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Sometimes when I quote a previous post and then try to post the screen view jumps up to where I can't see what I'm typing. I just tried the "quote" feature and wanted to select part of the quote to underline or bold and the crap mentioned above prevents me from selecting the part of the quote that I want to select,

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:41 pm

What's happening is this. When I use the quote feature, the quote often takes up more space than this box that I'm now typing in. When that happens, it keeps scrolling up to the top of the message and the cursor is hidden below the bottom of the box, so I'm typing blind. Today, I tried to select something at the bottom of the quoted message to underline or bold it. I put the cursor in where I wanted to begin the selection but I couldn't drag down to where I wanted to end the selection because the screen kept scrolling up.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Go to http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/is-it-ok-to-create-pages-about-peaks-you-haven-t-climbed-t55621-135.html page 10, Bob's post at the bottom of the page. Click on "quote" and put the cursor in after the quoted text. Hit "Enter" and then start typing. When I do this the the view in the box that you type in jumps up a bit and I can no longer see what I'm typing without scrolling down in between typed characters. Fortunately I can type without seeing what I'm typing, but try selecting the last sentence of the quote in order to underline it. That should show you what I'm talking about - maybe it's just a scurvy trick on Bob's part to keep people from arguing with him! :wink:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:23 pm

FYI- Matt, I cannot recreate the issue above.

Buz, is it possible it is your computer? Perhaps you could try to recreate the issue on another machine?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:34 pm

mrchad9 wrote:FYI- Matt, I cannot recreate the issue above.

Buz, is it possible it is your computer? Perhaps you could try to recreate the issue on another machine?

Could be the computer here at work; I'll have to try it at home and see if it does the same thing. Also I suppose it could be the system here at work; we've been having some internet problems. Interestingly, I couldn't see Nartreb's question mark problem before Matt fixed it.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:29 am

Montana Matt wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:Go to is-it-ok-to-create-pages-about-peaks-you-haven-t-climbed-t55621-135.html page 10, Bob's post at the bottom of the page. Click on "quote" and put the cursor in after the quoted text. Hit "Enter" and then start typing. When I do this the the view in the box that you type in jumps up a bit and I can no longer see what I'm typing without scrolling down in between typed characters. Fortunately I can type without seeing what I'm typing, but try selecting the last sentence of the quote in order to underline it. That should show you what I'm talking about - maybe it's just a scurvy trick on Bob's part to keep people from arguing with him! :wink:

mrchad9 wrote:FYI- Matt, I cannot recreate the issue above.

I'm not able to recreate the issue either Buz. I think there might be something going on with your computer. What browser are you using?

Problem happens at home also. Using Internet Explorer 7 at home; using some version of Internet Explorer at work.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Nothing new?

Next

Return to Site Feedback