Which compact digital camera?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
radson

Re: Which compact digital camera?

by radson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:43 pm

hatidua wrote:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

Wow.

In every case no one could reliably tell the difference between 13X19" prints shot with the $40,000 Hasselblad and Phase One 39 Megapixel back, and the new $500 Canon G10. In the end no one got more than 60% right, and overall the split was about 50 / 50, with no clear differentiator. In other words, no better than chance.

radson

by radson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Kai wrote:
FortMental wrote:It's a misconception to think that a P&S can do much of what a DSLR can do. A P&S will excel at only ONE thing: fitting into your shirt pocket. Sure, that's a huge plus, but not the main selling point, unless you're James Bond.

I have both a Point and Shoot (LX5) and a Micro 4/3 system (Olymputs Pen 2) I'm not James Bond, but I've found that I take a lot more pictures with my camera if it is in my pocket. If it's in my pack, I pass up opportunities to take pictures. The Olympus is smaller than a DSLR for sure, but it's not really pocketable. I have to keep in the pack, or in a case attached to my pack. I really like the Olympus, and I take it backpacking, but I don't take it climbing. As for image quality, if I were making poster size enlargements, the larger sensor might make a huge difference, but I don't make enlargements bigger than 11x14. On my computer monitor, (1900x1200) I also don't see much difference between the LX5 and the Olympus, in spite of the difference in sensor size. (Yes, there is a difference, but just looking at the photos, I can't really tell.)

What I have found really makes a difference in image quality is what ISO I shoot at. Image quality of either camera degrades noticeably in lower light conditions. Stabilization, and a lens with a large aperture are key here.

For a while, I owned and used a Sigma DP1. It's a P&S with a large sensor. It had the advantages of a large sensor and a small size, but at the end of the day, the LX5 is a better all around camera for my purposes.

Kai, up front, I was provided one of these to evaluate by the company but you may be interested in looking at the cotton carrier system for climbing with a dSLR up to grade AD. http://cottoncarrier.com/

Rick Huff

by Rick Huff » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 pm

FortMental wrote:It's getting harder and harder to find cameras that run off AA batteries. Build yourself an external battery pack that runs the camera off AA batteries....or get a pro to do it for you. One of these days I'll get around to putting a page together showing how to do it....it's really not that hard.

This is true, but you can still find a few. I just got a Canon Powershot A1100 IS on Amazon.com. It is 12.1 MP, has an optical viewfinder, and runs off AA batteries. I had the A1000 for several years which was only 10 MP but had all the same features and loved it for it's compactness and good images. If you aren't looking to get pictures published in magazines, but have good photos of your climbs...it works just fine.

Previous

Return to Gear