Leaving SP?

Put a page up for adoption, find a page up for adoption, or report an abandoned page in need of adoption.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Leaving SP?

by Bob Sihler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:15 am

Are you thinking about leaving SP but are willing to leave behind your pages so others may continue to use them?

First, do you really have to delete your account? Why not just become inactive? There may come a time when you decide you want to resume activity here. In the meantime, if any of your pages need updating, others can adopt them. Deleting your pages could also have organizational effects; for example, deleted areas and mountains could leave orphaned, and in some cases useless, mountains and routes, respectively.

If you keep your account but become inactive and someone adopts one of your pages, your photos will still be yours; ownership of them will not transfer to the new maintainer.

But if you really want to delete your account, please consider posting your pages here and transferring ownership of your pages to this "member": http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=66446.

Just use the "Change Privileges" feature on your editing bar and add "Orphanage" as the owner.

We will make every effort to give the pages only to people who have climbed the peak or route or have in-depth knowledge of the area.

All of this applies to beta pages only; personal works like trip reports and articles should not change ownership.

Thank you for considering one of these options instead of just deleting all your material!
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Arthur Digbee, Josh Lewis, kamil, McCannster, mrchad9

Fred Spicker

Re: Leaving SP?

by Fred Spicker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Also, please remove yourself from any editing privileges at all, or the page will still disappear when your account does.

Bob,

Does this mean that if I am sharing a page with someone - one of us as owner and the other as administrator - and they delete their membership, the page will be gone even if my membership stays?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:23 pm

I would have thought only deleting the owner would delete the page, not just anyone with editing privileges. If a page has 5 admins, surely deletion of one of them doesn't erase the page.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:36 pm

It takes a special kind of person who has to deal with people, especially those exhibiting mood changes, erratic behavior and
HISSY FITS.

I think deletion is a great idea. Even if the original owner still cares about the page, they should still keep it updated to a satisfactory level in regards to SP standards.

If not, then a more "active" member should begin the page anew.

Just my pennies worth..
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:41 pm

NEVER be afraid to push this button..

:wink:

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:15 pm

"Orphanage" is now owner of the existing "Pages up for Adoption" List, so pages attached to that list also show up on the "objects attached to my pages" section of Orphanage's profile. Objects owned by Orphanage won't automatically be children of the list, but I can provide a link on the list page that will show those objects when you click the link.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Fred Spicker wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:Also, please remove yourself from any editing privileges at all, or the page will still disappear when your account does.

Bob,

Does this mean that if I am sharing a page with someone - one of us as owner and the other as administrator - and they delete their membership, the page will be gone even if my membership stays?

Fred, as long as there is at least an admin - and I think even if there is only somebody with edit rights (not sure though) - the page stays when the user is deleted with the elves' deletion tool. Bob is right of course - if an owner deletes the page manually it doesn't help if there is an admin.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:07 pm

That isn't what we were talking about at all. I was saying if a user's account is deleted, that I would expect it would only affect pages for which they are the owner.

Was not commenting on whether an admin user could delete the page should they choose to.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:04 am

Isn't life a bear, especially when you become inactive and start to gain weight ???

Geez, I wonder if bears ever get sick and tired :?: :?: :?:

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
John Duffield

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:22 am

borutb wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:That isn't what we were talking about at all. I was saying if a user's account is deleted, that I would expect it would only affect pages for which they are the owner.

Was not commenting on whether an admin user could delete the page should they choose to.

Oops, yes, of course.
But there seems to be specific deletion treatments. Some accounts are deleted and the forum posts are not deleted, and some accounts are deleted and the forum posts are deleted as well.

True. I think that is setting the elves can control. Not sure. If the forum post is the opening post, I believe the entire thread is deleted, and it appears that if the post is the last in a thread, it is deleted. Other posts generally remain unless the elves decide to delete them too, from what I can tell.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:57 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
borutb wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:That isn't what we were talking about at all. I was saying if a user's account is deleted, that I would expect it would only affect pages for which they are the owner.

Oops, yes, of course.
But there seems to be specific deletion treatments. Some accounts are deleted and the forum posts are not deleted, and some accounts are deleted and the forum posts are deleted as well.

True. I think that is setting the elves can control. Not sure. If the forum post is the opening post, I believe the entire thread is deleted, and it appears that if the post is the last in a thread, it is deleted. Other posts generally remain unless the elves decide to delete them too, from what I can tell.

The other day, I discovered the feature that I think allows you to control whether or not posts are deleted when a user is deleted.

Anyone wanna volunteer to be the guinea pig? 8)
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:00 am

Gangolf Haub wrote:
Fred Spicker wrote:

Bob,

Fred, as long as there is at least an admin - and I think even if there is only somebody with edit rights (not sure though) - the page stays when the user is deleted with the elves' deletion tool. Bob is right of course - if an owner deletes the page manually it doesn't help if there is an admin.

That is the case. I came across that situation recently; a picture owner had left some time ago but had given someone else edit rights, so the pictures stayed.

So I was wrong in the OP and have corrected that.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 am

Bob Sihler wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
borutb wrote:Oops, yes, of course.

The other day, I discovered the feature that I think allows you to control whether or not posts are deleted when a user is deleted.

Anyone wanna volunteer to be the guinea pig? 8)

Bob- You know already that these forums posts are the foundation of SP. They are what this site was built on and the glue that holds it all together. WIthout them, there would be only a shell of this great resource that we have today. This is why post count is the most, perhaps only, meaningful measure of each and every member's level of contribution here. And kudos to you for whoring it up with us often enough to approach number 4000. A great accomplishment that has not gone unnoticed by the membership. Hurray for Bob!

Lolli

by Lolli » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:43 pm

lcarreau wrote:I think deletion is a great idea. Even if the original owner still cares about the page, they should still keep it updated to a satisfactory level in regards to SP standards.

If not, then a more "active" member should begin the page anew.

I think the OP is perfectly right. Give away pages, which are of benefit to others. If they're not personal, of course.
Considering that you don't have any mountain pages, (albums is another matter) it's easy to bring forward the opinion that deletion is the best thing. I think it's a matter of experiencing making pages. Beside the facts themselves, it's a lot of work doing a good page.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

Lolli

by Lolli » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:
Fred Spicker wrote:Bob,

That is the case. I came across that situation recently; a picture owner had left some time ago but had given someone else edit rights, so the pictures stayed.

So I was wrong in the OP and have corrected that.

I'm not sure if I misunderstand now, but beside the example above, if the owner leaves, and even if there's an admin, the entire page goes into limbo. Happened with my Scandes page. One must change the ownership first.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

Next

Return to Page Adoption Forum