Hiking in hunting season

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
fatdad

Re: Hiking in hunting season

by fatdad » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Nitrox wrote:Wow, all kinds of hypocrisy in this thread.

Have fun guys, I've gotta go drill a bunch of holes in rock, throw my shit all over the ground, and then call search and rescue to pick my broken ass up.

Wow, all kinds of red herrings in this post. Not sure what any of it has to do with anything in this thread.

no avatar
Nitrox

by Nitrox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 pm

fatdad wrote:

Have fun guys, I've gotta go drill a bunch of holes in rock, throw my shit all over the ground, and then call search and rescue to pick my broken ass up.

Wow, all kinds of red herrings in this post. Not sure what any of it has to do with anything in this thread.

You'd think climbers of all people wouldn't want to paint with such a broad brush considering all of the stupid shit that has taken place in the climbing community over the years.

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Yup, lots of incidents of climbers placing bolts in people thinking they were rocks.

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
Kiefer, mrchad9

no avatar
Nitrox

by Nitrox » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:01 am

fatdad wrote:Yup, lots of incidents of climbers placing bolts in people thinking they were rocks.

Didn't you already mention a red herring?

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 am

:|
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Cascade Scrambler

by Cascade Scrambler » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Nitrox wrote:
fatdad wrote:

You'd think climbers of all people wouldn't want to paint with such a broad brush considering all of the stupid shit that has taken place in the climbing community over the years.

There's an enormous difference between being lumped in with someone who got lost or injured, and being lumped in with a group of people where one or two idiots has shot someone. Call me wreckless if you must, but because I don't carry in the mountains, I'm in no danger of shooting someone.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:20 am

The issue is hunters endanger others. Significantly. Climbers endanger themselves.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:15 pm

mrchad9 wrote:The issue is hunters endanger others. Significantly. Climbers endanger themselves.

And potentially those below them.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:And potentially those below them.

Is that a physics pun?

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Castlereagh

Fury

by Fury » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:56 am

mrchad9 wrote:The issue is hunters endanger others. Significantly. Climbers endanger themselves.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "significant". Is there a high probability (i.e. significant) that a hunter will endanger you? No. Is the potential consequence of a irresponsible hunter high (or significant)? Yes.

Note that climbers can endanger that SAR workers when they are called upon.

I climb and I hunt. I try my very best to cautious in both activities. I never put my finger on the trigger until my intended target has been properly identified. Similarly, I when I climb I always double check my harness and knots etc.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 am

Fury wrote:

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "significant". Is there a high probability (i.e. significant) that a hunter will endanger you? No. Is the potential consequence of a irresponsible hunter high (or significant)? Yes.

I was talking about severity, not frequency. Get your ankle broken, big deal. Get executed, bigger deal.

Fury wrote:Note that climbers can endanger that SAR workers when they are called upon.

REALLY!!! I did not know that!

But is isn't the same. SAR workers are chosing to put themselves in that situation- they are not forced into dangerous conditions. They are well aware of the immediate risk and if it is beyond an acceptable level they will not attempt the rescue. A woman hanging clothes in her own yard should not be expected to anticipate a hunter hiding the the bushes might decide to take a shot at her.

Fury

by Fury » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:39 am

mrchad9 wrote:I was talking about severity, not frequency. Get your ankle broken, big deal. Get executed, bigger deal.

I agree. But the chances are low. For what it's worth, I believe that anyone handling a firearm should be held accountable for their actions.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:38 am

Fury wrote:For what it's worth, I believe that anyone handling a firearm should be held accountable for their actions.

There's something wrong in a community that might believe otherwise.

Ditto for people handling lots of other things - - motor vehicles, kitchen knives, internet discussion boards . . . .
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:05 pm

This is a very meaty thread; lots of good points all around. But before I make a decision, I want to hear Darija's opinion.

simonov

by simonov » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:46 pm

Careless or negligent hunters endanger others, just like careless or negligent drivers endanger (a hell of a lot more) others.

Careful and thoughtful hunters endanger no one.

Some perspective: I betcha there are more careless or negligent drivers contributing to this thread than there are careless or negligent hunters.

Here in the west, to get away from the asshats, you climb. The hunters who actually walk or pack miles into the wilderness, rather than stick to the highway-side campgrounds, are generally the more conscientious ones.
Nunc est bibendum.

PreviousNext

Return to General