Another Commercial Post

Report bad submissions here in order to get them detached by the community. Also, post challenges to existing pages.
mrchad9

Re: Another Commercial Post

by mrchad9 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks Bob- I had a PM exchange with the user explaining the issue as well. They apparently thought the post was ok before.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:37 pm

The post wasn't way overboard, but if we are going to delete promotional posts from mom & pop outfitters in third world countries who are just trying to scrape by, we should be eliminating all promotional posts.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:The post wasn't way overboard, but if we are going to delete promotional posts from mom & pop outfitters in third world countries who are just trying to scrape by, we should be eliminating all promotional posts.

In my opinion, it was way overboard. My jaw dropped at the length the person was going to for self-promotion. Perceptions vary, of course, but I thought it was one of the tackiest commercial posts I've ever seen here, maybe because it was so extensively and meticulously done. Most commercial posts here are so laughably pathetic that they're almost not worth deleting.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm curious-- what do you all think of this one? http://www.summitpost.org/article/665765/mirza-ali.html

It's not a commercial post, but it's also not an article in the spirit of SP articles. It's more like a news release.

Pages like this have been deleted in the past. I'm unsure on this one, so I'm interested in hearing others' thoughts. After that, I'll clean up the thread to restore the original intent.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:The post wasn't way overboard, but if we are going to delete promotional posts from mom & pop outfitters in third world countries who are just trying to scrape by, we should be eliminating all promotional posts.

In my opinion, it was way overboard. My jaw dropped at the length the person was going to for self-promotion. Perceptions vary, of course, but I thought it was one of the tackiest commercial posts I've ever seen here, maybe because it was so extensively and meticulously done. Most commercial posts here are so laughably pathetic that they're almost not worth deleting.

I agree Bob. As I told the user in my PM, it was not a post by a contributing member who has branched out and writting a guidebook (using Scott S as an example- his was entirely appropriate in my view), but rather someone with no contributions, who is only here to sell something.

I do think exceptions might be warranted for contributing folks we know who are doing something on the side.

As far as the article, it hurt my head to read it. Not sure what it is talking about. It'll be buried forever once it leaves the 'What's New' page- as it isn't attached to anything. Uncertain what should be done about it, except that if I were you I would just do what you think is best at some point and not waste too much valuable time thinking it over. The consequences of an incorrect decision here are negligible.

WingLady

by WingLady » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 am

My sincere apologies ... I honestly had no idea that it would be inappropriate to promote a mountaineering book within the section of the forum designated for "classifieds." It will not happen again.

However, I do want to point out that I have been a member of this forum for 6 years, and have posted on a regular basis, so please do not think that I just appeared this week to promote a book. Also, if you knew how little book authors make compared to the amount of time spent on a labor of love, I think you'd be quite surprised. Our average monthly earnings from books over the 11 year period since our first guidebook came out is barely enough to buy a set of 6 quickdraws! :o Needless to say, writing books is not how we make a living!

Again, I apologize and will abide by the site rules as I now understand them.
D. Winger
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
The Trad Guide to Joshua Tree
Highpoint Adventures
The Essential Guide to Great Sand Dunes National Park

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Since he is a guide, I am guessing advertising - but it is a little hard to tell.

Who names a trip report after them self?

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/6 ... orton.html

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:50 am

Fred Spicker wrote:Since he is a guide, I am guessing advertising - but it is a little hard to tell.

He put it up the day he joined. Definitely commercial. But even if it wasn't, its a really bad trip report. Wack it!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:30 am

mrchad9 wrote:
Fred Spicker wrote:Since he is a guide, I am guessing advertising - but it is a little hard to tell.

He put it up the day he joined. Definitely commercial. But even if it wasn't, its a really bad trip report. Wack it!

I saw it earlier today and noted it for the one-day rule. He gets the full day just in case by some wild chance he will do more.

There are a few other new pages that look likely to leave SP pretty soon.

Haliku

by Haliku » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:47 pm

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." --Friedrich Nietzsche

Adeel

Another Commercial Post

by Adeel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:53 am

The member is promoting his company and offering the trekking and expedition packages.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... toro-.html

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:45 pm

spam: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/become-a-global-community-poster-moderator-25-100-dy-t55766.html

spammer: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/joobean-u54168.html

Because of the title, I didn't even bother to view the page, so sorry if it's not actually spam.

Moni

by Moni » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:53 am

This one seems a little suspicious.
http://www.summitpost.org/list/657940/brian-christina-conley.html

And if not, it's a lame page.

Adeel

Another Commercial Post

by Adeel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:55 am

Boriss Andean

by Boriss Andean » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:36 pm