Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

Report bad submissions here in order to get them detached by the community. Also, post challenges to existing pages.
nartreb

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by nartreb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:17 am

This page needs to be put out of its misery:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/66 ... orest.html

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:57 am

nartreb wrote:This page needs to be put out of its misery:

Maybe we should have a poll. The members can pick which of the two White Mountain NF areas are better.

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:16 am

mrchad9 wrote:
nartreb wrote:This page needs to be put out of its misery:

Maybe we should have a poll. The members can pick which of the two White Mountain NF areas are better.

It'll be a barn burner for sure...

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 am

This is concerned with the Banikov page.

The problem is not that the writer originally wrote BS about the origin of the name of the peak (he normally does that, I'm used to it already – this will not do anybody much harm). He hasn't yet discovered (all the time being busy submitting an amazing lot of SP stuff which may soon make him look down on such slow contributors as e.g. Nanuls, not to mention myself – well, it is a bit annoying, but generally I don't mind. And surely I find it funny that he hasn't yet discovered what the distinct subsidiary peak in the primary page is called, but this just makes me smile. It is the "overview" that really gets on my nerves – my "album" gives an outline of what mine could be but I wrote it in a rush, had just one night for it (and it's actually about two peaks/pages).

Now compare the following.

Bob Sihler on What is a complete page?:
There is route information telling about length, difficulty, and elevation gain. There should be details about exposure, rock quality, tricky or dangerous spots, etc. as appropriate. If the route information is not on the main page, it is on an attached route page.

But the owner from July 2008 to mid-October 2010 (see my comments on another page by the same guy) has this message - in the "overview": "The tourist route goes slightly below, where there is no exposure, but some fixed chains ensure the passage of the walker."

I wouldn't put it like this - please have a look at the introductory paragraph here

And this exchange between the till-mid-Oct owner and the current owner who – I guess – may not be aware of having become the owner at all (the current owner has been practically off SP for the past 1.5 years) is the last straw – all this really does look much too funny now.

I believe the page(s) in question should be deleted. I bet if this sort of stuff were a mountain page for, say Mount Washington, it would be gone within a few days after popping up. No doubt I do disagree with Visentin who thinks that "SP gets poorer each time a page is deleted, or a user deletes himself. That's the situation." (quote from his post on the forum)

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Well, Yatsek, the current owner is Slovak and the peak is in Slovakia. Normally, a little diplomacy might be needed for a Big Bad Pole to wade in and kick the Slovak off his own mountains. But fortunately, the Slovak is not selfish and has posted this on his profile:
"Some of my pages need completion and additions, some albums need then to be converted to mountain pages. If you want to do this, email me and I will grant you editor rights."
Looks like you're in luck!

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:25 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:Well, Yatsek, the current owner is Slovak and the peak is in Slovakia. Normally, a little diplomacy might be needed for a Big Bad Pole to wade in and kick the Slovak off his own mountains. But fortunately, the Slovak is not selfish and has posted this on his profile:
"Some of my pages need completion and additions, some albums need then to be converted to mountain pages. If you want to do this, email me and I will grant you editor rights."

Haha - how do you know that, EC European roots? I know this Slovak quite well - he's OK :D What's more, it was him who taught me the basics after I'd registered. I've also sorted out my problem of having too little SP fun (see my brand new album). As to the forum opening question, it's still being discussed as you probably know. I do admit I'd like to take over the page in question (or rather erase and make a new one), but I'm not gonna delete myself :wink: if this doesn't happen.
Cheers,
Jacek

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:05 pm

yatsek wrote: ... but I'm not gonna delete myself :wink: if this doesn't happen.
Cheers,
Jacek

No, don't you be getting suicidal thoughts too! :shock: :shock: You make excellent pages, and that ledge is getting pretty crowded with jumpers, so stay with us.

I have a feeling the invasion of Slovakia will proceed best by subtle infiltration ...

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:33 pm

I remember all your comments and was really glad to get these. Thank you very much. But don't be so sure my pages are good; they may just look good while e.g. where I say YDS 5.2, you may come across YDS 5.4; I really am not sure (you'll find an American view at the bottom). Last but not least, I may be a Slovak eater as my surname is actually Hungarian. :lol: So if I say I get on well with my Slovak :D and Hungarian, Romanian, and Czech fellow SP'ers - do not believe me but first check out this page of mine, which Bob the Great SPinquisitor will delete as soon as he becomes aware of its existence.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:33 pm

yatsek wrote: ... first check out this page of mine, which Bob the Great SPinquisitor will delete as soon as he becomes aware of its existence.

Amazing .... and don't even think about it, Sihler! :wink:

yatsek

by yatsek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:08 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:Well, Yatsek, the current owner is Slovak and the peak is in Slovakia. Normally, a little diplomacy might be needed for a Big Bad Pole to wade in and kick the Slovak off his own mountains. But fortunately, the Slovak is not selfish and has posted this on his profile:

Thanks one more time. Your posts have turned out to be the most helpful. I thought Tomas was too busy working but as I sent the email on Saturday night, he got it and replied in an instant, making me an admin, with which I am satisfied as long as Tomas remains the owner.

TyeDyeTwins

by TyeDyeTwins » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 pm

I am somewhat new to the rules of SP and was curious what the proccedure is for a page that an SP member considers bad. For example in the Central Wasatch Range a very popular Sp member took 3 mountains along the Millcreek Ridgeline (Mount Aire, Church Fork Peak, and Millvue), and put them on a single page. Normally that would be fine but each mountain on the page had only about 2-4 sentences about each mountain. I will admit that I have not contacted the page owner....the last thing I want to do is create contravosy on this site. If I were to want to create a mountain page off of 1 of the 3 of the mountains already grouped together.....how would I (if possible) go about that? Many thanks for your time.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 pm

TyeDyeTwins wrote:I am somewhat new to the rules of SP and was curious what the proccedure is for a page that an SP member considers bad. For example in the Central Wasatch Range a very popular Sp member took 3 mountains along the Millcreek Ridgeline (Mount Aire, Church Fork Peak, and Millvue), and put them on a single page. Normally that would be fine but each mountain on the page had only about 2-4 sentences about each mountain. I will admit that I have not contacted the page owner....the last thing I want to do is create contravosy on this site. If I were to want to create a mountain page off of 1 of the 3 of the mountains already grouped together.....how would I (if possible) go about that? Many thanks for your time.

Send him a PM with what you've written here. He won't blow up about it.

nader

by nader » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Empty page here:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/672339/pic-la-selle.html

with a note saying he will climb the peak next week and then update. I have seen "Mountain Reservation Pages" like this before and I do not think they are appropriate.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Deleted-- I doubt there's going to be a rush to post that peak in the meantime, so it doesn't belong on the What's New page.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

surgent

by surgent » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:10 pm

This page on Olallie Mountain in Oregon needs attention:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html

The text is copy-pasted from the mountainzone.com webpage for this peak:

http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/d ... id=2169656

PreviousNext

Return to Bad Submissions