Hiking in hunting season

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
fatdad

Re: Hiking in hunting season

by fatdad » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 pm

FortMental wrote:
NW wrote:Also apparently a kid almost got shot because she was wearing white mittens and someone thought it was the tail of a deer.

This was a real case in suburban Maine, where a young mother was hanging clothes IN HER BACKYARD, and was wearing white mittens. She was mistaken for a deer, shot and killed. The case went to court where the hunter was tried for manslaughter. A jury of his peers (old, feeble minded hicks with poor vision) found him .............drum roll.................. not guilty.

The lesson here? Come hunting season, stay in your house til it's over. Unnerstand, son?

Unfreaking believable. I wonder if someone shot the hunter on the street, thinking he was a menace to society, would receive the same treatment from a jury. Like I said in an earlier post, it's nice to see gun advocates actually accept some responsibility for the deadly weapons they carry around.

Where's Dexter when you need him?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Peter Anderson, his hunting companion that day, heard Rogerson cry out, "I've shot a human being! Oh, God! Why does God allow this to happen?" Rogerson saw the wound in her chest and tried to stop the bleeding with some kind of compress. It was too late.

Oh good greif. Another ignorant jackass who is probably proud of calling himself simple, shoots a woman in the chest himself and tries to blame it on God. Reason enough to hang him right there.
In the wake of the tragedy, customers would make a point of coming by to offer him support. "He's probably one of the most sensitive, sincere persons I've ever known," says Brown

So good that he had support. It must be tough continuing on after shooting someone, being out $20,000. :roll:

Cascade Scrambler

by Cascade Scrambler » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:27 am

Mountainjeff wrote:A couple years back a lady was killed on a popular trail in the N. Cascades by a teenage hunter. It was a case of an inexperienced hunter shooting at whatever slightly deer colored thing moved. It was a pretty isolated case and usually it is hunters shooting each other, not hikers.

I will hike, but not bushwhack during deer season, except for SAR related activities, but it is usually only the dogs that get shot at (and I think those shots are not accidental...)

She was wearing a blue jacket. I've never seen a blue deer.

This case is the precise reason that, no matter the season, I'm in red or orange, and my pack is red as well. I won't risk it.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:37 am

Just better hope someone doesn't mistake you for a Red-tailed deer, if such a thing exists. Maybe in their frenzy they'd mistake you for a Red-tailed Hawk. . .

I remember the case Fort provided. It is unfreakin' believable. They could'nt find any "peers," that were a bit more sane?

The following user would like to thank dskoon for this post
mrchad9

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 am

F#*& this discussion! It's almost 5 o' clock, and I've got some birds to shoot!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:12 am

It's nearly turkey season, fer cryin' out loud...

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
JasonH, John Duffield

no avatar
Nitrox

by Nitrox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Wow, all kinds of hypocrisy in this thread.

Have fun guys, I've gotta go drill a bunch of holes in rock, throw my shit all over the ground, and then call search and rescue to pick my broken ass up.

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Nitrox wrote:Wow, all kinds of hypocrisy in this thread.

Have fun guys, I've gotta go drill a bunch of holes in rock, throw my shit all over the ground, and then call search and rescue to pick my broken ass up.

Wow, all kinds of red herrings in this post. Not sure what any of it has to do with anything in this thread.

no avatar
Nitrox

by Nitrox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 pm

fatdad wrote:

Wow, all kinds of red herrings in this post. Not sure what any of it has to do with anything in this thread.

You'd think climbers of all people wouldn't want to paint with such a broad brush considering all of the stupid shit that has taken place in the climbing community over the years.

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Yup, lots of incidents of climbers placing bolts in people thinking they were rocks.

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
Kiefer, mrchad9

no avatar
Nitrox

by Nitrox » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:01 am

fatdad wrote:Yup, lots of incidents of climbers placing bolts in people thinking they were rocks.

Didn't you already mention a red herring?

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 am

:|
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Cascade Scrambler

by Cascade Scrambler » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Nitrox wrote:
fatdad wrote:

You'd think climbers of all people wouldn't want to paint with such a broad brush considering all of the stupid shit that has taken place in the climbing community over the years.

There's an enormous difference between being lumped in with someone who got lost or injured, and being lumped in with a group of people where one or two idiots has shot someone. Call me wreckless if you must, but because I don't carry in the mountains, I'm in no danger of shooting someone.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:20 am

The issue is hunters endanger others. Significantly. Climbers endanger themselves.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:15 pm

mrchad9 wrote:The issue is hunters endanger others. Significantly. Climbers endanger themselves.

And potentially those below them.

PreviousNext

Return to General