camping aroung huntington ravine

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
lelf

camping aroung huntington ravine

by lelf » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:22 pm

Hey !

i want to spend the next week-end climbing in the ravines on mount washinton. I usualy stay in harvard cabin, but it wont open until next week...do you know where i could set up my tent ? i have read the backcountry camping rules but i am not familiar with all the particular areas mentioned in the document. it says that i can camp pretty much everywhere under treeline if i am staying 1/4 mile off any trail or hut or streambed...any experience with that ?

please help me...it's comming soon...

climb safe !!

Brad Marshall

Re: camping aroung huntington ravine

by Brad Marshall » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:12 pm

I believe camping is prohibited in the Cutler River Drainage so it might be best to set your tent up at the Hermit Lake shelters.

From the Mount Washington Avalanche Center web site:

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecent ... y/camping/

Mt. Washington is one of the most heavily visited areas in the Northeast, and also one of the most fragile. Please take the time to understand the special camping regulations in this area. Not only will it make your stay more pleasant, it will help preserve the area for future visitors. In the Cutler River Drainage, you may only camp in one of two places: Hermit Lake Shelters or the Harvard Cabin (during the season).

Alpine Zone (Above Treeline)
Though camping is allowed in most of the alpine zone if on greater than two feet of snow, there is no camping allowed in the alpine zone of the Cutler River Drainage including in the Ravines, the Alpine Garden, and the Summit Cone. Even above treeline and on snow, camping is prohibited in the Cutler River Drainage year-round. Yes, this means you may not camp in a snowcave at the top of the Lip or at the base of Pinnacle Buttress.

Other Rules

Camping in the parking lot of Pinkham is prohibited, as is camping on the National Forest within ¼ mile of Rt. 16 from Gorham to Glen.
Campfires are prohibited in all areas of the Cutler River Drainage.
Violating the Cutler River Drainage Forest Protection restrictions is punishable by fine pursuant to 16 USC 551. The area is patrolled frequently.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:14 pm

anita wrote:or just bivy and don't get caught.

Right on! (Someones catching on! :D )
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:29 pm

I've stayed in my truck camper in the Pinkam Notch parking lot several times. No problems and I let the staff know what I was doing. They've got showers in the basement and good eats in the morning. Maybe I've just been lucky ?

welle

by welle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Jerry L wrote:I've stayed in my truck camper in the Pinkam Notch parking lot several times. No problems and I let the staff know what I was doing. They've got showers in the basement and good eats in the morning. Maybe I've just been lucky ?

You've been lucky.

Lelf, if you don't mind a little detour, you can camp at Hermit Lake (in Tuckerman Ravine) - there are lean-tos and tent platforms. There is also running water (not pottable) and chemical toilets. If you climb Huntington and top out, you can take Lion's Head trail down and it will bring you close to the camp (the summer trail is still open). Also, consider climbing one day in Tuckerman Ravine - it's a great alpine adventure.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)