Skiing Montana 2011

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
John Duffield

Skiing Montana 2011

by John Duffield » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:15 pm

So I'm booked into Bozeman end of January. Gonna see if it lives up to the hype. Shitloads of snow etc.

Long range weather, the La Nina.....

Reports are the temps along the equator are lowest since 1955.

Impact for the Northwest: Dry throughout the fall with precip beginning in earnest around first of the year as the temp drops and accumulations begin. Potential for lots of heavy storms.

Works for me.
http://www.telemarktips.com/Weatherpage.html

Fred Spicker

Re: Skiing Montana 2011

by Fred Spicker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Are you resort skiing or back country skiing?

Where exactly? There is lots of country and several ski areas around Bozeman.

Either way, I doubt that you will be disappointed.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Resort, at Big Sky. A day of BC or XC with the 3 pins at some point. Maybe even at Yellowstone.
Never been up on Specimen Ridge. :lol:

samh

by samh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:27 am

The season is on and in full effect so far this year. Let's hope La Nina does what it's supposed to. The backcountry is off to a stable start with the snow layers forming beautifully bottom-up like we want 'em to.

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:53 am

The "hype" for Montana skiing is a whole lot less than hyper! "Dont believe what you see, dont believe what you hear" U2. We aint no Vail, or Aspen, or Killington, now those mountains get "hyped"!

Big Sky is a fantastic mountain! No lift lines, great snow, lots of shale that`s barely covered up high, due to wind scouring, super steep chutes, you should have a blast!
Bridger Bowl just opened a new chair last year that accesses the Ridge! Transceiver, probe, and shovel required to ride it, super sick terrain, and they have been getting blasted since Oct.!

Hope you enjoy your visit to the Big Sky Country.

The following user would like to thank T Sharp for this post
John Duffield

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:13 pm

1000 peaks , for easy, safe day you might go up to Hylite. It is crowded on weekends but very tame x-country trails and a beautiful area close to Bozeman. Lots of choices up there. They have been keeping the road open the last couple years.

Saintgrizzly

by Saintgrizzly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:55 am

1000Pks wrote:Sounds good for somewhere down the line for me. I guess there is no access to say Logan Pass or Glacier at this time of year. Looks like now I'll be about Dillon or vicinity, and I guess snow about Missoula is too inaccessible, unreliable or what. Is skiing on Mt Helena near Helena any kind of thought?

Check with Tim Sharp on skiing around Missoula. The Snowbowl ski area is only a few minutes from town, plus there is much back country skiing in the immediate vicinity. I don't know what you mean by "inaccessible," but I'd say there is a great deal of skiing close to town that is quite accessible. And yes, Glacier is pretty much closed off during the winter except to those individuals familiar with the terrain.

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:41 am

1000Pks wrote:
CBakwin wrote:1000 peaks , for easy, safe day you might go up to Hylite. It is crowded on weekends but very tame x-country trails and a beautiful area close to Bozeman. Lots of choices up there. They have been keeping the road open the last couple years.

Sounds good for somewhere down the line for me. I guess there is no access to say Logan Pass or Glacier at this time of year. Looks like now I'll be about Dillon or vicinity, and I guess snow about Missoula is too inaccessible, unreliable or what. Is skiing on Mt Helena near Helena any kind of thought?

It looks like our crowd control message concerning Missoula area skiing is getting out there effectively! The local ski hill 20 minutes from downtown Missoula gets over 300 inches a year, has 2600 vertical ft drop, and a wild and wooly reputation!
But unreliable? Not really!

Back country from Lolo Pass [Hwy 12] is very good, as well as many canyons in the Bitterroots, most esp. Gash Point. Lost Trail Pass[Hwy 93] is also very good skiing, along with Look Out Pass, and the St Regis River Basin [I-90]. Discovery Basin is also off to a great start. The one place that you mentioned [Mt Helena] is far and away the area that is the least likely of the spots mentioned to have good conditions.

Avalanche.org for the most up to date conditions, Bozeman and Glacier have more updates than the Missoula site [http://www.missoulaavalanche.org/] we just don`t get the funding from the Lolo National Forest, like those guys get from the Gallatin and Flathead National Forests! :(

The following user would like to thank T Sharp for this post
John Duffield

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:02 pm

T Sharp wrote:, super steep chutes,

That's what I'm talking about!!! Thanks for the tip on bringing avy gear.

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm

If you need local conditions anytime for the Bozeman/Livingston area, feel free to PM me. Dec 9-12 will be the annual Ice Climbing Festival so Hyalite will be crowded then, otherwise parking is never a problem, crowded in Montana means you might see some other people......it's not like California or Colorado (all due respect).

peakhugger

by peakhugger » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:50 am

1000Pks wrote:Here in CA I can be skiing in my T shirt at 9,000 feet in February, I suppose MT is not like that.

Never at 9000ft, unless you can wear a T at 20*F (sans wind of any sort). Maybe going uphill on a really nice day...
As for weather, I'd say we often oscillate between cold/dry/bluebird and warm/wet/cloudy. Cold and warm are relative, e.g. 0*F and 25*F for highs. If you're here for more than a few days, you'll likely see it all.

I'd second T Sharp's comment on Mt. Helena. Only once in my short lifetime has there been enough snow to make safe turns. And it would never last more than a few days (although the strong La Nina this year may make me eat my words). A couple of the nearby passes (Stemple, MacDonald) to Helena have mostly flat XC trails.

Base is looking solid around Bozeman. Much better than the early season last year and we're currently looking at a (rare?) LOW avi danger rating. Shaping up to be a good one.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMFSK5vNGrU[/youtube]

Next

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)