Tahoe camping recommendations

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
dpsiebert

Tahoe camping recommendations

by dpsiebert » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:41 pm

I've never been to Tahoe and would like to take my wife and three kids 3, 5 and 7 there tnext June. I'm considering DL Bliss, Fallen Leaf or maybe dispersed camping. We'll be in a small pop-up trailer and would prefer somewhere quiet at night. Any tips or past experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

brianhughes

Re: Tahoe camping recommendations

by brianhughes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:40 am

DL Bliss is a great campground with all the amenities, including a nice beach. Try to get one of the prime spots nearest to the lake.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:12 pm

+1 for DL. Eagle Lake with a pop-up ?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:36 pm

DL Bliss is really nice, especially early or late season when it's still chilly and therefore less crowded. An exceptionally scenic hiking trail starts there (Rubicon trail to Vikingsholm), there's a nice beach (with a short swim to a spectactular dropoff wall, if you're into scuba diving), lots of boulders to play on, and it's a short drive to some good climbing across the highway at Eagle Lake.

On the north side of the lake, Donner Memorial State park has nice campsites and access to a pretty lake. It's got historical interest, some nice hiking, and is a short drive away from good climbing at Donner summit. There's a bit of noise from Highway 80 but it's not terrible.

rice

by rice » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:41 pm

1000PKS YOU ARE A GREAT BIG BALL OF JOY AND HAPPINESS. IT WARMS MY HEART TO READ YOUR PRAISES FOR THE LOVELY WORLD. THANKS FOR WARNING DPSIEBERT TO BRING THE GAS MASKS FOR THE CHILDREN.

DPSIEBERT, I CAMPED AT WILLIAM KENT CAMPGROUND ON THE WEST SHORE AND HAD A GREAT TIME. GOOD PLACE FOR A POP UP TRAILER. MEET MY GIRLFRIEND SO I'M A LITTLE PARTIAL. HAVE FUN.

rice

by rice » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 pm

OOPS MENT TO SAY I MET MY GIRLFRIEND, PLEASE DONT GO TRY TO MEET MY GIRLFRIEND. ANYWAYS SOUND LIKE YOU GOTYOUR OWN SO I WONT WORRY! HAHAHHAHAHAHA

ozarkmac

by ozarkmac » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Fallen Leaf Lake is a great family destination. At least it was in the late 70's when I spent several stretches of several summers there.

JasonH

by JasonH » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:02 am

rice wrote:1000PKS YOU ARE A GREAT BIG BALL OF JOY AND HAPPINESS. IT WARMS MY HEART TO READ YOUR PRAISES FOR THE LOVELY WORLD. THANKS FOR WARNING DPSIEBERT TO BRING THE GAS MASKS FOR THE CHILDREN.

DPSIEBERT, I CAMPED AT WILLIAM KENT CAMPGROUND ON THE WEST SHORE AND HAD A GREAT TIME. GOOD PLACE FOR A POP UP TRAILER. MEET MY GIRLFRIEND SO I'M A LITTLE PARTIAL. HAVE FUN.

Between your Tab and Shift keys there is a button. You should press that.
I have a demon in me - Stu

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:23 am

Although I haven't camped at Tahoe, I've been around the lake a hundred times. The camping doesn't appear to be very private at all, sites right next to each other and not too many trees. I would camp in the Icehouse/Union Valley Reservoir area. You are 90 minutes to Tahoe, less people and just get up a day or two early and spend the day on Tahoe.

rdesota

by rdesota » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:24 am

June is a fantastic time of year in tahoe. Snow still on the mountains, warm days and the tourist season has not really started yet. Uusually July 1 starts the tourist season (July 4 holiday). bliss is a great campground too. I would agree, any camping in the tahoe basin will not be a remote experience, so expect other campers and the stuff that goes with that. that being said, there are reasons why you are by yourself in a remote site near tahoe - becuase no one else thought it was worth staying there either, no facilities and nothing to do. I'd go to Tahoe and enjoy it. The trails wont' be that crowded especiallly if you go during the week. The later in June you go the more crowded it could potentially be. Tahoe is a beautiful place and despite notes to the contrary the air is great and the water in the lake is of incredible quality. Lots to do - bring bikes, get on the lake, go hiking, etc. If you need more info contact me.

BCL

by BCL » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Donner Lake, DL Bliss, and Woods Lake are my favorite Tahoe area campgrounds. I don't care for Fallen Leaf Lake.

rdesota

by rdesota » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Yeah, let's all hope there is no repeat of the Angora fire or similar, and that lake clarity rises and doesn't fall, as it has been mostly for the last 40 years!

You are providing travel advice based on the possibility of a fire? Using that thinking, we really shouldn't go anywhere there are flamable materials (i.e. anywhere in the world - wait there is Antarctica, but the tent is flamable, darn, thought I had one). By the way, the latest testing shows a slight increase in water clarity! The lake has incredible clarity and quality. (of course, everyone has to do their part in keeping this reality).

rice

by rice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 pm

ThanksReport this postReply with quoteRe: Tahoe camping recommendations
by JasonH » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:02 am

rice wrote:
1000PKS YOU ARE A GREAT BIG BALL OF JOY AND HAPPINESS. IT WARMS MY HEART TO READ YOUR PRAISES FOR THE LOVELY WORLD. THANKS FOR WARNING DPSIEBERT TO BRING THE GAS MASKS FOR THE CHILDREN.

Between your Tab and Shift keys there is a button. You should press that.

WELL WHEN YOU GOT A JANKY KEYBOARD AND ITS PERMENANTLY STUCK IN UPPER CASE AND YOUR A CHEAP BASTARD THAT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE SPENDING MONEY ON A NEW KEYBOARD WHEN I CAN BUY MORE BEER

rdesota

by rdesota » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for the Wikipedia information on the fire. I watched the event from my house and had good friends lose everything to it. I also look at the scar everyday. Yes - fires can happen in a forest. I am still not sure how this is helpful for a family who would like to visit Tahoe and go camping?

dpsiebert

by dpsiebert » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like Dl Bliss is my best bet, so that's where we're headed. Should be a fun trip.

Dan

Next

Return to California