Tahoe camping recommendations

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ScottyP

Re: Tahoe camping recommendations

by ScottyP » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:50 pm

You may also look at a night or two at Wrights Lake. Just a short ways down/over highway 50 but lots of fun hiking for the kids, fishing etc.

The following user would like to thank ScottyP for this post
Marmaduke

rice

by rice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:58 pm

THANKS 1000PKS FOR THE ADVICE. I GUESS YOUR NOT ALL DOME AND GLOOM AFTER ALL. ENJOY THE SNOW....... LOOKS TO BE GETTIN BETTER OUT THERE

QITNL

by QITNL » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:06 am

Not to hijack the thread - just a little diversion - what are the options for winter car camping in the Tahoe area? Say in a little pickup with a camper shell.

Ed Z'berg Sugar Pine Point State Park and Grover Hot Springs SP used to be open in the winter, but apparently not any more. I think most of the Forest Service campgrounds are closed.

The Yuba Gap-Donner Summit-Blackwood Canyon-Taylor Creek-Echo Lake SNO-PARKs are probably an option. Though they are often a little noisy when close to a busy road. I'll have to check to see which allow in-vehicle camping.

Any "dispersed camping" around there in the winter, any other options or ideas? Thanks.

QITNL

by QITNL » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:43 am

1000Pks wrote:dope would be assumed

They'd think I'm trying to grow dope in the snow?

Or I'm a dope to be snow car camping?

Just joking. I understand the concerns of private and public landholders. I'm looking for something 100% legal. Though there don't seem like a lot of options - so maybe 95% will do.

Yep, it sure ain't the 70's anymore. Even the 00's were better.

mountainvoodoo

by mountainvoodoo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 am

1000 peaks. You kill me. I have lived here in SLT for 19 years and have found perfect solitude in the BC in all the busy tourist months. Your assessment of this town is way off just like most of your posts. Yeah, yeah, yeah you have a website and you spent most of your life hiking and climbing, and writing the so-called book on how YOU envision the backcountry to be..... whatever. DPseibert stated he wanted an area for a pop up trailer with his kids joining, not an isolated camp location devoid of humanity.

DPseibert: There is a small campground on Luther Pass that would accomodate your pop - up. 12 spaces I think. Super quiet, off the beaten path, quick access to all the town offers (despite what 10 peaks rants), near big meadow, hope valley etc. Check it out. Becareful though for all those drug slinging, fire starting, water quality degrading Tahoe folk rumored to hassle tourists!

The following user would like to thank mountainvoodoo for this post
dpsiebert

NewDayRising

by NewDayRising » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:43 am

How could 1000Pks forget about this:
http://www.theskichannel.com/news/skine ... us-Attacks

Tahoe is a dangerous area!

rdesota

by rdesota » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:19 am

wow, with all the fire danger, kidnapping, drugs, and crime - watch out! Afghanistan sounds like a safer bet at this point. C'mon!!! Johney Raincloud!!

PreviousNext

Return to California