Colorado road conditions.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
alecdavis1992

Colorado road conditions.

by alecdavis1992 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:12 am

I am planning on driving from Dallas up to Grays/Torreys in a few days. What are the best sources for information on road conditions? And do you think i will run into problems getting there? I have snow chains BTW.

lcarreau

Re: Colorado road conditions.

by lcarreau » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:34 am

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Gareth

by Gareth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:11 am

http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm

You can also call "511" on your phone once you get into Colorado

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:51 am

As far as "will you have problems" goes... it's impossible to say. Keep up on the weather reports and you'll have a better idea, but it's sorta hard to tell even with that sometimes. It depends how much snow dumps and what its like and how idiotic people are driving. I70 does get shut down, but it's not terribly common. However, it can get pretty dicey before it ever gets shutdown.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:48 am

spiritualspatula wrote:As far as "will you have problems" goes... it's impossible to say. Keep up on the weather reports and you'll have a better idea, but it's sorta hard to tell even with that sometimes. It depends how much snow dumps and what its like and how idiotic people are driving. I70 does get shut down, but it's not terribly common. However, it can get pretty dicey before it ever gets shutdown.

Definately, be very careful AFTER you exit the tunnel heading west on I70. It gets very very dicey there, I have slipped a few times in that area. There is a lot of traffic too, take it easy and keep good distance.

glacierpaul

by glacierpaul » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 pm

One of the big tow trucks crashed into a haz mat truck yesterday at Eisenhower, and our local fire chief was hit by a car while he was responding to a roll over 2 days ago.... Be cautious on I-70. I-70 has been shut down alot the past few weeks, some of it for avy control.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:41 pm

http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

Keep checking the website that Gareth posted. Also, take a look at the CAIC (Colorado avalanche information center) website for snow conditions pertinant
to the Stevens Gulch (Grays & Torreys) area.
The storm that has been raging over Colorado lately has been WET. Tons of moisture in the atmosphere. I think someone over at 14ers.com referred to it as a 'Pineapple Express'.
Two weeks ago on Uncompaghre, the summit was socked in clouds and everything was covered in rime.
Yesterday on Humboldt, conditions were even worse. We never saw the Crestones (clouds) and on the summit, I've NEVER seen rime that thick or a-plenty.

Fortunately, it's not that far of a drive from Denver but CDOT semi-frequently closes I-70 at Floyd Hill/Beaver Brook (exit #248). That's roughly 27 miles before your exit (Bakersville- #221).
Just something to keep in mind.
Drive safe!!

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:22 am

CO 14 closed at Cameron Pass
another avalanche off of Diamond peaks (where else?)
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:19 am

Also, a pertinent question to ask is...
being that you're from Texas, how much snow/ice driving experience do you have in the vehicle you'll be driving? I'm not saying this applies to you, but lots of people think that 4/all wheel drive means you can go fast and romp over anything... which is nice until you need to slow down, because you won't.

alecdavis1992

by alecdavis1992 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:15 am

spiritualspatula wrote:Also, a pertinent question to ask is...
being that you're from Texas, how much snow/ice driving experience do you have in the vehicle you'll be driving? I'm not saying this applies to you, but lots of people think that 4/all wheel drive means you can go fast and romp over anything... which is nice until you need to slow down, because you won't.

I have vastly more snow driving experience than the average 18 year old Texan but vastly less than anyone from Colorado haha. I got caught in a blizzard as I was driving from Taos' NM to Dallas and the storm followed me all the way home, so the 650+ mile trip was a bit of a crash course in snow driving. Other than that just a few instances of rather mild snow conditions, but I guess I have to get experience somehow :)

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:00 pm

A dumb question for you maybe, Alec.
Since I didn't see any mention in the previous posts regarding the starting point for your trek, I thought I'd ask.
Do you know that you'll have to travel approximately 3 miles on foot before you reach the summer TH?

alecdavis1992

by alecdavis1992 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:06 pm

Bill Reed wrote:A dumb question for you maybe, Alec.
Since I didn't see any mention in the previous posts regarding the starting point for your trek, I thought I'd ask.
Do you know that you'll have to travel approximately 3 miles on foot before you reach the summer TH?

ahh but no question is a dumb question my friend:) yes I know this, I talked to sone dudes on here that gave me the rundown of the route and whatnot.

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:51 am

alecdavis1992 wrote:I have vastly more snow driving experience than the average 18 year old Texan but vastly less than anyone from Colorado haha. I got caught in a blizzard as I was driving from Taos' NM to Dallas and the storm followed me all the way home, so the 650+ mile trip was a bit of a crash course in snow driving. Other than that just a few instances of rather mild snow conditions, but I guess I have to get experience somehow :)

Ha, well at least you've got some under your belt. As you said, everybody learns at some point. Take things slow; it's better to be the guy who drives slow and gets passed than the jerk that closes the road due to an idiotic accident that could have been prevented. Drive for conditions, not speed limits. Keep a nice big buffer between you and the people in front of you, and start braking early but slowly. Basically all your driving maneuvers have to be in slow motion, this includes accelerating, braking, and turning. Sudden changes in acceleration are apt to break traction and then you'll have to recover, plus you're then banking that the person behind you is able to change their driving to accommodate you as well.
Keep well informed of expected weather and road conditions and don't make rash decisions about it and you should be okay.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Storm is coming though Colorado tonight and tomorrow. Should be some freshies up that way as of Friday and Saturday.
Temperatures are going hit rock bottom though. High's along the Front Range, Friday & Saturday are only going to hit mid-high teens.
That means up on Grays & Torreys, you'll see temperatures in the low single digits to below zero with the winds.
Be safe my friend!

A small thermos of hot tea goes a LONG way in those conditions! 8)

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:43 pm

If you are coming up I-25 to I-70 then to Bakerville more than likely you won't have problems even in bad weather, that is a pretty well maintained stretch of road. Floyde hill can get bad and the stretch right after Georgetown can sometimes get dicey but really you should be fine.

On the other hand if you come up through Grand Junction and head east then it's a whole other ball game going over Vail Pass, up the tunnel exc.
I run 15,000lb trailers up that stretch all too often in my truck for work and rarely have trouble

Return to Colorado