Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

Report bad submissions here in order to get them detached by the community. Also, post challenges to existing pages.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by Bob Sihler » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:25 pm

PM sent to owner.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

no avatar
ojo

by ojo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:38 am

Hi there. Not saying this is a bad page, but ... it has an incongruous message of "under construction" though also has had many hits. http://www.summitpost.org/national-parks-in-northwest-europe/256498 and last edited nov 2007.

kamil

by kamil » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:58 pm

While we can gently nudge the maintainers to keep developing this page (or not so gently kick their lazy arses ;)), it's definitely not to be nuked! :)

jmitch421

by jmitch421 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Why was my page for Pic La Selle deleted?????? I went through the trouble of creating it so that I would have a link to put in the summit log i left on the summit for people to go to summitpost. I said I would be updating it next week when I got back from Haiti and when I went to do so it was deleted! How can I get that exact URL back?

What is this suppsed to mean?? "Deleted-- I doubt there's going to be a rush to post that peak in the meantime, so it doesn't belong on the What's New page." are we only supposed to post popular or easy to reach peaks on this site??? The fact that there is zero info online about how to get to this peak or any info on anyone having climbed it is the exact reason it should be on summitpost, plus it is a country highpoint.

Hopefully someone can help correct this for me.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 pm

The comment about no rush just means that since the peak not well-known and not in a highly popular climbing spot, it's unlikely that someone else would post it in the meantime.

I sent you a PM explaining the rest.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

nader

by nader » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:27 pm

jmitch421 wrote:Why was my page for Pic La Selle deleted?????? I went through the trouble of creating it so that I would have a link to put in the summit log i left on the summit for people to go to summitpost. I said I would be updating it next week when I got back from Haiti and when I went to do so it was deleted! How can I get that exact URL back?

What is this suppsed to mean?? "Deleted-- I doubt there's going to be a rush to post that peak in the meantime, so it doesn't belong on the What's New page." are we only supposed to post popular or easy to reach peaks on this site??? The fact that there is zero info online about how to get to this peak or any info on anyone having climbed it is the exact reason it should be on summitpost, plus it is a country highpoint.

Hopefully someone can help correct this for me.

Like I said in the PM that I sent you, I asked that it be deleted because it was an empty page. Now that you climbed it, please make a page for it. I am eager to learn about Haitian Mountains.

visentin

by visentin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:37 pm

For many people, SP is a bit like a weekly newspaper one likes to read once per week drinking the coffee while watching the newest peaks, articles, and so on in "what's new".

Imagine yourself reading a set of articles which say only "will be climbed next month or next week". Boring, no ?
It took me a bit of time at the beginning to realize it too, I thought it was stupid to take SP as a competition. But then I understood it was not about that, but about having permanently new content ready to be read.

It raises again the eternal problem newcomers regularly have with pages under construction - imho, the developers should have remedy to it long ago with something like a "publish" option. I said it few times but for some reason nobody cares...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:48 pm

visentin wrote:It raises again the eternal problem newcomers regularly have with pages under construction - imho, the developers should have remedy to it long ago with something like a "publish" option. I said it few times but for some reason nobody cares...

I think people care visentin, I think most people would like to see this feature. But it may take a while only because the benefit is small. Anyone can easily set up a construction page and that's what a lot of people have done to get around this.

Wandering Sole Images

by Wandering Sole Images » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:39 am

visentin

by visentin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:56 am

mrchad9 wrote:
visentin wrote:It raises again the eternal problem newcomers regularly have with pages under construction - imho, the developers should have remedy to it long ago with something like a "publish" option. I said it few times but for some reason nobody cares...

I think people care visentin, I think most people would like to see this feature. But it may take a while only because the benefit is small. Anyone can easily set up a construction page and that's what a lot of people have done to get around this.

One easy walk-around woud be to reset the creation date to the current date when a custom object (they usually serve as drafts) is turned into something else.

jmitch421

by jmitch421 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:23 pm

Updated the Pic La Selle page

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... selle.html

Thanks for helping me get that URL back so that anyone reading the summit log I left on the summit can come to SP.

I agree there needs to be a under construction then publish feature for new pages.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 pm

visentin

by visentin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:14 pm

yatsek wrote:And all of the “huts and campgrounds” still owned by this guy
http://www.summitpost.org/users/pavolhornak/45456

By deleting the guy all his (nice) pictures are gone as well. Some of them were used in some pages and it caused a terrible mess in the layout.
Delete bad submissions please but do not delete people arbitrary like this, especially when their material are used on pages.

The following user would like to thank visentin for this post
kamil

vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm

mrchad9 wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/dugger-mountain-under-construction/676708

mrchad's correct.

And on the third day the Lord Bob did smite such incompleteness with a mighty sword :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Bad Submissions