Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

Report bad submissions here in order to get them detached by the community. Also, post challenges to existing pages.
yatsek

Re: Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages

by yatsek » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:43 pm

vancouver islander wrote:And on the third day the Lord Bob did smite such incompleteness with a mighty sword :wink:

:shock: :wink:

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:58 am

visentin wrote:
yatsek wrote:And all of the “huts and campgrounds” still owned by this guy
http://www.summitpost.org/users/pavolhornak/45456

By deleting the guy all his (nice) pictures are gone as well. Some of them were used in some pages and it caused a terrible mess in the layout.
Delete bad submissions please but do not delete people arbitrary like this, especially when their material are used on pages.

When a user has been inactive for years and all his 10+ pages are empty, it is simply easier to delete the account than go by page by page. I'm sorry for any mess it caused on other pages, but I'm not going to take the time to sift through someone's pictures to see which ones might be displayed on other pages.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:01 am

All but two zapped. Paragon Peak is a weak page but meets the bare minimum. Since the user is active, he may respond to improvement requests if someone makes them.

The other still here is now a custom object. Same user, so he has the chance to finish the page without it being among the new mountain pages.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

kamil

by kamil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:27 am

Bob Sihler wrote:
visentin wrote:
yatsek wrote:And all of the “huts and campgrounds” still owned by this guy
http://www.summitpost.org/users/pavolhornak/45456

By deleting the guy all his (nice) pictures are gone as well. Some of them were used in some pages and it caused a terrible mess in the layout.
Delete bad submissions please but do not delete people arbitrary like this, especially when their material are used on pages.

When a user has been inactive for years and all his 10+ pages are empty, it is simply easier to delete the account than go by page by page. I'm sorry for any mess it caused on other pages, but I'm not going to take the time to sift through someone's pictures to see which ones might be displayed on other pages.

That's one point I disagree with. I understand the load of work you have as an elf, but this way the thin line of 'justified damage' can be pushed to our will.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:47 am

kamil wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:When a user has been inactive for years and all his 10+ pages are empty, it is simply easier to delete the account than go by page by page. I'm sorry for any mess it caused on other pages, but I'm not going to take the time to sift through someone's pictures to see which ones might be displayed on other pages.

That's one point I disagree with. I understand the load of work you have as an elf, but this way the thin line of 'justified damage' can be pushed to our will.

Recently, I found some broken links and missing pictures on a page of mine, apparently because the person's profile had been deleted at some point. I went in, made some quick fixes, and all was fine. So I really don't see why this is much of an issue. Then again, I almost always use the SP-provided formatting instead of making elaborate charts, so such changes are easy to do for me.

However, I'm not looking to needlessly make hassles for people, especially folks like you who have been very supportive and have helped me quite a bit so far. Therefore, going forward, I won't delete an inactive account that has pictures unless I can easily tell that the pictures are only attached to the bad pages in need of deletion. However, I will reserve the right to this exception: if the person has some ridiculous amount of empty pages and deleting them one by one is going to take a long time, the account is going to go. And I'll have to use my best judgment on what a "ridiculous amount" is.

Fair enough?

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:49 am

vancouver islander wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/dugger-mountain-under-construction/676708

mrchad's correct.

And on the third day the Lord Bob did smite such incompleteness with a mighty sword :wink:

Lord, we beseech thee, cut this feller a mite of slack. He is just about the only person adding mountains in the southeast, and his pages are generally ok. Surely thy impatient angels of death can wait just a few more days to wield their mighty sword (and perhaps chase yet another SP contributor from the site).

Verily I say, even as thy servant Joshua took seven days to bring down the walls of Jericho, shouldst thou not stay thy hand even unto the end of the week? For this sinner may yet repent and be redeemed!

yatsek

by yatsek » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:30 am

Looks like lots of folk just love such scenery.

I suppose this is the reason that a number of SP people who'd kept contributing terrific stuff have virtually given up in recent years.

kamil

by kamil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 am

Bob Sihler wrote:Fair enough?

Alright :D

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:56 am

Bob Sihler wrote:However, I'm not looking to needlessly make hassles for people, especially folks like you who have been very supportive and have helped me quite a bit so far. Therefore, going forward, I won't delete an inactive account that has pictures unless I can easily tell that the pictures are only attached to the bad pages in need of deletion. However, I will reserve the right to this exception: if the person has some ridiculous amount of empty pages and deleting them one by one is going to take a long time, the account is going to go. And I'll have to use my best judgment on what a "ridiculous amount" is.

Fair enough?

Bob- do this in the way that is easiest for you. Cleaning up some photo links on their own page is not too much for someone to do. If an account has been inactive for years there is no reason for it to continue to exist. Or at least having some pretty pictures isn't reason enough.

visentin

by visentin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:23 am

kamil wrote:That's one point I disagree with. I understand the load of work you have as an elf, but this way the thin line of 'justified damage' can be pushed to our will.

Bob raised some good points too, I am not elf so I cannot judge how easy it is to delete pages one by one, or to detect how often one's material is used on other pages. My opinion is the same than Kamil, but whatever; after all this Pavol didn't own so many, true...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:43 am

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:
vancouver islander wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/dugger-mountain-under-construction/676708

mrchad's correct.

And on the third day the Lord Bob did smite such incompleteness with a mighty sword :wink:

Lord, we beseech thee, cut this feller a mite of slack. He is just about the only person adding mountains in the southeast, and his pages are generally ok. Surely thy impatient angels of death can wait just a few more days to wield their mighty sword (and perhaps chase yet another SP contributor from the site).

Verily I say, even as thy servant Joshua took seven days to bring down the walls of Jericho, shouldst thou not stay thy hand even unto the end of the week? For this sinner may yet repent and be redeemed!

Okay, I won't try the biblical talk here...

The page still exists, but I changed it to a custom object and sent a PM. I waited an extra day before doing so because the member has other complete pages. But it showed almost no progress, not even over the weekend, so it had to part company with the new mountain pages.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Okay, I won't try the biblical talk here...

The page still exists, but I changed it to a custom object and sent a PM. I waited an extra day before doing so because the member has other complete pages. But it showed almost no progress, not even over the weekend, so it had to part company with the new mountain pages.

The custom object thing was a good idea. If this happens in the future, you might even want to retitle it 'Construction Page'!

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Hello,

I offered the owner of this page some help: http://www.summitpost.org/wolfjaws-arms ... ike/678441

But we may want to park this TR in "Custom Objects" until he grows his comfort level with the interface.

Sarah
Go climb a mountain

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi there,

I love to see new members eager to contribute. It breaks my heart, though, to see mostly empty pages. Here are a few:

1. http://www.summitpost.org/hoosier-hill/687855
This trip report could just be boiled down to a summit log. If the author wants to keep this as a TR, I've provided suggestions. Perhaps it's "custom object" time.

2. http://www.summitpost.org/cerro-a-madsen/688017
This one might need to be moved to custom object status while the author gets some coaching from frequent SP contributors.

3. http://www.summitpost.org/wolfjaws-arms ... ike/678441
This page was changed to a custom object, and the author provided with plenty of coaching, but the page has not been updated since mid-November...the day after it was added.

Thanks to Bob for his ongoing dedication to maintaining site contribution quality!

Sarah
Go climb a mountain

PreviousNext

Return to Bad Submissions