Northern Tetons

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
KujoA2

Northern Tetons

by KujoA2 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience climbing any of the Teton Range peaks north of Mt. Moran. (Ranger Peak, Eagle's Rest, Bivouac Peak, etc.) I spent all summer looking at them, but because of access issues and only getting two days off at a time, we spent most of our time climbing the southern, more crowded peaks. Took one 20-mile day trip to Webb Canyon, and loved how remote it was, but that was all we did. If I can swing it, I'd like to maybe do the entire Teton Crest trail and link it up somehow ('schwacking?) to get to the northern edge of the park and Grassy Lake road.

As far as experience, I'm an good backcountry hiker/navigator, ok with an ice axe and moderate snow, comfortable scrambling steeper non-technical stuff, and a newbie trad climber. Are there any routes to any of these more remote peaks that you'd recommend, and how was the approach?

Doublecabin

Re: Northern Tetons

by Doublecabin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:03 pm

I have done the "Complete" Tetont Crest Trail from HWY 22 to String Lake and 33 years ago I did a great 7 night backpack in the Northern part of the range incorporating "The Old Skyline Trail." If I could ever get the time I want to do a point to point through Moose Basin from Bitch Creek to the reclamation RD 261.

I do not know the peaks as I was just 14 back then. The area is now quite a bit thicker with grizzlies than it was in the past. One of the densist concentrations there is, The Winegar Hole, is not far away at all.

I would be very interested in your hike if it were to be in September. IF not thanks for bringing your vacation dollars to Wyoming.

KujoA2

by KujoA2 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:53 am

The hike would probably be some time in August.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:20 pm

That's perhaps the best month, unfortunately I will be busy in the SW
Absaroka then. Be prepared for bugs everywhere but particularly going over Harem Hill and the lower reaches of the canyons west of Jackson Lake.

August is when Grizzlies generally go for Whitebark Pines, so choose your campsite wisely. They shouldn't be going for moths up higher until the end of the month if not into September sometime. I would sleep in your tent EVERY night. Of course weather,climate can change there behaviour a wee bit.

Have a great trip!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)