2011 CLIMBING STATS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
mvs

Re: 2011 CLIMBING STATS

by mvs » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:09 pm

charles wrote:
mvs wrote:9500 feet ascent/descent on skis Saturday and Sunday. Yes. I am a GOD!!!! :D

(The vengeful sulky kind, who can nonetheless be placated with gifts)

What did you do in the afternoons Michael??? :D :D
My climbing stats are limited to stairs at the moment. :oops:

Damn, Charles you found my weak spot. Well I napped Saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoon I tried to drive home and got stuck in traffic which turned into a comical attempt to wring as much fun out of Kufstein as possible. Did you know the sewing machine was invented there?!? :roll:

When will you be able to exert heroically in the mountains again, summertime?

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:54 pm

On the slopes of Mt. Taylor, NM. 12-31-10. We toured and toodled around on the north side forests on 1-1-11. Not a big day by anyone's standards, but getting out in the bitter cold in a new place was a great way to start the new year! Bring on 2011!

The following user would like to thank Princess Buttercup for this post
MoapaPk

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Did over 20K' on my sled in one day at work yesterday hauling gates, fence and all kinds of other ski race materials. It is quite easy to rack up the numbers in alt gain doing so.

One day last season alone, I must of racked up an easy 100K' of alt gain hauling over 65 6' fences up the hill from the bottom to the top in the wee hours of the morning and then spending the rest of the day towing over 200 athletes to the start from the operating lift. Each tow was an 800' run.

Does this count, damn right it does. Especially since I have to physically do all the labor involved, which is a buttload, trust me, from 9K to 11k on a regular basis.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Lets see, probably have about 48'. My boulder wall is about 12' and I climbed 4 routes yesterday. I suppose I worked a few others so that number could be closer to 55-60.

Tweleve ounce curles = 6 - all right arm.
Off to a pretty typical year :(

mvs

by mvs » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:38 pm

The Chief wrote:Did over 20K' on my sled in one day at work yesterday hauling gates, fence and all kinds of other ski race materials. It is quite easy to rack up the numbers in alt gain doing so.

One day last season alone, I must of racked up an easy 100K' of alt gain hauling over 65 6' fences up the hill from the bottom to the top in the wee hours of the morning and then spending the rest of the day towing over 200 athletes to the start from the operating lift. Each tow was an 800' run.

Does this count, damn right it does. Especially since I have to physically do all the labor involved, which is a buttload, trust me, from 9K to 11k on a regular basis.

Dear Mountains,
I'm giving up early this year. See enclosed sled/fence/wee hours testimony.
Signed,
A real candy-ass

:mrgreen:

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
PellucidWombat

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:51 pm

MooseTracks wrote:On the slopes of Mt. Taylor, NM. 12-31-10. We toured and toodled around on the north side forests on 1-1-11. Not a big day by anyone's standards, but getting out in the bitter cold in a new place was a great way to start the new year! Bring on 2011!

Thanks for the memories! I last skied on Mt Taylor in 1983! We got a late start, and the soft snow started to freeze over so we turned around... for a rather uncontrolled descent! We then went for dinner at the 4B's that used to be in town; while I was waiting outside the women's room for my wife, I heard the hot air dryer go on about 10 times. Turned out that she was drying her butt! She did a lot of sitting on the way down, to reduce her speed!

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Princess Buttercup

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:54 pm

I don't know how many kilos I've gained but I'm eating too much :o :arrow: :(

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Just 3100' and 9 miles so far! Hey, I've been sick. Yesterday we went over this ridge, then drove over and hiked up the dark butte to the right. Both trips were led by a 76-year-old guy; I would guess that he puts in a lot more than 100k' per year, since he generally does at least 2 hikes like this per week.

Woke up this morning to 1-2" soft snow on my lawn in Vegas, so I may temper my trips to slickrock for a bit.

surgent

by surgent » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:45 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Image

Just 3100' and 9 miles so far! Hey, I've been sick. Yesterday we went over this ridge, then drove over and hiked up the dark butte to the right. Both trips were led by a 76-year-old guy; I would guess that he puts in a lot more than 100k' per year, since he generally does at least 2 hikes like this per week.

Woke up this morning to 1-2" soft snow on my lawn in Vegas, so I may temper my trips to slickrock for a bit.

I have to know where that is! Arrow Canyon? I'll be in Henderson in a few days visiting family.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm

surgent wrote:I have to know where that is! Arrow Canyon? I'll be in Henderson in a few days visiting family.

Much easier to get to than Arrow! Northshore Peak (start SOUTH across from the outhouse on Northshore Road, by the pull-off- DON'T take the BLM trail N of the road!).

Roughly as in this map:
http://hwstock.org/nshore10/html/nshore.htm

I''ll send a GPS track if you want one.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:27 pm

The only road that was plowed was the main road, and then it was still covered and compacted snow from the large number of cars/trucks that had been up that way. I was able to get my 2WD Element up pretty far past the "end maintenance" sign, and 4WD was required past that. We saw plenty of trucks up there (hunters, sledders, snowshoers, other maniacs looking to play in the snow) making some pretty deep inroads and not getting stuck. I'd say we were pretty close to the trail on Friday, turning only a few hundred vertical from the summit due to extreme cold and wind (and fairly thin coverage up top with wind crust, which makes for not so nice skiing).

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers,
L

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:56 pm

twoshuzz wrote:I gained a total of about 300 feet yesterday over roughly 2 miles of river, all near sea level, while Winter Steelhead fishing along the N. Oregon coast. All with waders, boots, vest, fly rod and level wind set up for spoon'n and a thermos full of coffee. Wheeewwwwww... Brutal it was ! :lol: Even caught and released two nice fish in the 8 - 9 lb range. :D

Nice fish!! Which river? No whiskey in that coffee??

Previous

Return to General