SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Lolli

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

by Lolli » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Is that so?
Can the adminstrators see what we chat about?
Or not?
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Speaking for myself. I haven't seen any features that allow me to read what people are chatting about.
I have a demon in me - Stu

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Well keep in mind folks that everything you post goes in the mysql database (well except photos and such which the text still does). Being a non admin there is no knowing if some of it is encrypted or not, on my site when people register the password is encrypted which means as the site owner even in the database I cannot see the info. But I have a friend who has a blog which I signed up for his site and sure enough he got my password! :? Fortunately he is trust worthy, but made me a little more careful about passwords and such. My law teacher always tells me "The Internet is Forever! Anything posted, even private can be pulled up by site owners, government, ect". So it would not surprise me one bit if admins/site owners can read my pm's. Does that bother me? No, because I have faith that the admins won't try anything crazy. :wink: Plus I usually don't post anything that they can use against me. Now keep in mind, it is possible that Matt might have access to statistics rather than actual access because I know as a website owner I can see the number of messages for the encrypted stored data (the data that I cannot read). So you can't necessarily base it on the factor of the admins/owners knowing how many messages are being sent.

Also moderators/ administrators do not have access to the mysql, only Josh and Ryle (perhaps Matt) has access to it. I know this because of personal experience and reading some former sp posts. 8)
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
JasonH

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:18 pm

We do not read peoples PM's. As far as I know, the only way we could is if we logged in as you.
I have a demon in me - Stu

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 pm

twoshuzz wrote:

Save your paranoia propaganda for FOX NEWS and The National Inquirer.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Twoshuzz and JasonH-

I appreciate your responses and I have no reason to doubt them. I do not think this is paranoia though, rather a legitimate concern for which the mods and admins ought to be able to answer.

I do not do any sort of drugs, for example, but I used to have a job where I was randomly tested, and I disliked it intensely. I wasn't paranoid, and had nothing to hide, I just didn't think it was right. I think it is the same here.

So do the mods and admins have the ability to read PMs and chat logs? JasonH and Twoshuzz have said they do not and I beleive them, but is the ability there for the green folks for either PMs or chats?

Matt clearly can read chats and has in the past. Is he still doing this? Does he have the ability to read PMs? Does he read any?

How long are chat log contents saved and accessible? Or are they wiped out as soon as all the participants log off?

How long is content of deleted PMs accessible? Or is it wiped out when the PM is deleted?

Thank you.

Lolli

by Lolli » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:35 pm

It was a straightforward, simple and not an odd question in any way, considering the earlier post.
It has nothing to do with paranoia. It could be easily answered without flaming remarks.
It doesn't matter if anybody would want to read or not, the question was if it's possible.

At most workplaces, the IT department can read the coworkers' chats. Most people don't know this. Especially if they use msn to chat. That one has its doors wide open. (At a workplace, what you do on their computers belongs to work. Don't talk illoyal about your work on a work computer on a chat, ever... )

Thanks Jason, for a straight answer.
I didn't expect green administrators to be able to, but the red ones might. Not an issue really, don't use that chat, but I prefer to know anyway.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:42 pm

mrchad9 wrote:So do the mods and admins have the ability to read PMs and chat logs? JasonH and Twoshuzz have said they do not and I beleive them, but is the ability there for the green folks for either PMs or chats?

I can see dead people

but other than that there is no way (as far as I know) for greenies to look at your privates

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback