Winter camping in Tahoe

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
mrchad9

Re: Winter camping in Tahoe

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Yes, I have seen the same info you have on CA snow parks. Key is knowing which allow the overnight parking.

Can confirm based on last weekend that you can park and sleep in vehicle at Carson Pass and Meiss Meadow. Meiss Meadow is where you would want to stay, further off the highway and just yards down the road from Carson Pass.

Can also confirm Hope Valley does not allow parking from 7PM to 7AM, much less sleeping in your vehicle. Sign says you will be towed and it is by local ordinance.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:54 pm

mrchad9 wrote:.......... Key is knowing which allow the overnight parking.
.........Can confirm based on last weekend that you can park and sleep in vehicle

None of my business, but if you are going to sleep in your truck and for more than a day or two, why not a cheap motel?
It doesn't sound like a specific location to stay is important either.
Last edited by Marmaduke on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:15 pm

A couple reasons:

I don't sleep in my vehicle for more than a day or two.
Staying close to the area IS the driver for most of these occurences. For me at least, can get started earlier in the morning, and I sleep just as well (and like seeing the stars too).

Take last weekend for example... I do not know of any cheap motels on or near Carson Pass, and I was only there two nights.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Got it.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:10 am

Fire4x4 wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
i2stillclimb wrote:You may want to call the Forest Service Supervisors office in South Lake Tahoe as they are in touch with what is available in the Basin. Thier number is 530 543 2694. From there they could direct you to the Tahoe Forest office.

Yes- I did. 4 posts above. Thanks.

Tahoe Basin Managment Unit is not the same as Carson Ranger District. TMU takes care of Tahoe Basin. TMU works under the Eldorado National Forest. They might have some better answers for you.

OK, I tried that. Individual who answered the phone did not even know if there was an overnight parking lot or not. I'll see what happens when I get there.

QITNL

by QITNL » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks for the heads up on Meiss Meadow. I'm pretty sure i know where you are talking about. It's on the map at the bottom of this page:

http://climber.org/driving/TahoePasses.html

And more good info at that site, intended for winter users, use the navigation buttons at top.

The only problem is that stuff is all 2008 and who knows what regulations have since changed. And you're right, calling up the rangers produces varied results. All the more reason I appreciate SummitPost and similar resources.

A fellow from the 'taco recommended Woodfords Canyon. I gotta look into that. Thanks again.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:51 pm

Today I spoke in person with a Sgt. with the Washoe County Sheriff's office in Nevada (no I don't have a ticket or anything like that).

You can park along Highway 431 along pullouts, there is a big one right at the summit, close to the highway but cars go slow there and the noise should not be too much of an issue.

You can sleep in your vehicle, but expect the police to stop by. They will just check to make sure you are ok, sometimes people don't realize how cold it can get and die or hypothermia or something, but sleeping there is ok.

no avatar
sthomper

by sthomper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:20 pm

I asked "well what if you are backpacking in winter" and he said there was an overnight area right at the summit for such trips. His belief though is that it is only for overnight trips,.....if you arent in your car its overnight iow????

what is the wood building on right heading south on 431 going towards the lake near the rose summit?? is that jsut a bathroom with 'a parking lot'?? is that the snow park???

his belief???....they cant shoot straight or talk straight...fuck em.

could probably just overnight it a 24 hour wal mart near the beginnig of 431 and 395 if so-called pullouts were full or getting snow plows/drifts filling them up. and get a nearby warm coffee.

no avatar
sthomper

by sthomper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:23 pm

.......... Key is knowing which allow the overnight parking.
.........Can confirm based on last weekend that you can park and sleep in vehicle

why not just make it a broad. doesn t sound like a key at all...only a nuisance. you liars probably know this stuff alredy though.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:55 pm

It is difficult to tell what you are saying sthomper. You seem fairly illiterate.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Chad, first little storm and you're running to the confines of your car? You really wanna give Chief that kind of ammo? :D

Forget it, just noticed the dates... Well now we know where Chief got his ammo anyway. :wink:

no avatar
kjkj

by kjkj » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Between the North Shore and Reno there is only one place that I'm aware of though it has been a couple years since we used it and that is along highway 431 in the meadow. At the time I checked with the sheriff’s office in Incline and their take was as long as we don't have need to have snow removal gear operating in the area you can ditch your car/truck alongside the road.

Typically back then there would be 10 or so parked there in the morning, though I think most like us got our skis on and skied a little into the woods and set up our tents so we could be comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Previous

Return to California