SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Josh Lewis

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

by Josh Lewis » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:58 am

Chat does not display in internet 7, and also seems to be not working in google chrome. Seems like there was an update to it, sure in google chrome it shows up, but when you click the person you want to chat with it does nothing. :(

I also tested on firefox on another computer which I get the same result! :cry: Someone wanted to chat with me which would have been my first time using this. :wink:

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:55 am

Matt, chat keeps popping up every time I navigate to a new page, making me disable it over and over.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Josh Lewis

Klenke

by Klenke » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:47 pm

No, Matt, we shouldn't have to clear browser cache to fix the problems you introduced with your new chat feature that apparently no one asked for. Our browser caches contain other information (for other websites, etc.) that we might not want cleared. You need to fix your code.

The chat feature is a script that runs and sometimes I get scripting errors. It also causes SP to load slowly (as compared to how I remember the website before you implemented the chat bar). You may say that's not the cause but what I see is I have to wait until the very end of the page load to do anything (like scroll) and what's the last thing to load (appear)? You guessed it: the chat bar.

Bob Sihler wrote about the chat feature popping up all of the time when navigating to new windows. This happens for me too, and having to clear a browser cache to fix this is idiotic.

What happened to making the chat bar a feature a member can choose to have ON or OFF in his profile settings. There are ways to be notified of someone wanting to chat with me that don't require a chat bar. Right up there on the top line next to "Sign Out" a blinking chat icon could appear. I don't know. That might be annoying too, especially if I didn't feel like chatting at that time.

You want to make an improvement to this site? How about putting in an additional "Archive Delete" line at the top of the PM list instead of at the bottom so we don't have to go to the bottom of a PM list, which is often below the bottom edge of the monitor (on a laptop, especially), to find the button to delete? I delete from the top down and so would like to check a PM or PMs for deletion at the top of the page and then immediately hit the delete button there.

Paul

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:44 pm

The chat is now working fine for me. Also it does not pop up when in minimized mode, but when I have it "open" where I'm not chatting but can see the whole chat bar every time I go to a new page the chat room bar will pop up. I followed the instructions of clearing the cache as seen here: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How ... he%20cache but no results. I guess I could keep it minimized when not chatting but is slightly less convenient. My proposal if a bunch of sp'ers got steamed about the idea of having a chat on every page, we could have a page dedicated to it. Assuming you integrated the chat into the site by integrating it into the forums (phpbb3) which is integrated into sp, I've seen chat apps for phpbb for an single page rather than on every page. Just an idea, not saying it should be that way.

Lolli

by Lolli » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Is that so?
Can the adminstrators see what we chat about?
Or not?
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Speaking for myself. I haven't seen any features that allow me to read what people are chatting about.
I have a demon in me - Stu

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Well keep in mind folks that everything you post goes in the mysql database (well except photos and such which the text still does). Being a non admin there is no knowing if some of it is encrypted or not, on my site when people register the password is encrypted which means as the site owner even in the database I cannot see the info. But I have a friend who has a blog which I signed up for his site and sure enough he got my password! :? Fortunately he is trust worthy, but made me a little more careful about passwords and such. My law teacher always tells me "The Internet is Forever! Anything posted, even private can be pulled up by site owners, government, ect". So it would not surprise me one bit if admins/site owners can read my pm's. Does that bother me? No, because I have faith that the admins won't try anything crazy. :wink: Plus I usually don't post anything that they can use against me. Now keep in mind, it is possible that Matt might have access to statistics rather than actual access because I know as a website owner I can see the number of messages for the encrypted stored data (the data that I cannot read). So you can't necessarily base it on the factor of the admins/owners knowing how many messages are being sent.

Also moderators/ administrators do not have access to the mysql, only Josh and Ryle (perhaps Matt) has access to it. I know this because of personal experience and reading some former sp posts. 8)
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
JasonH

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:18 pm

We do not read peoples PM's. As far as I know, the only way we could is if we logged in as you.
I have a demon in me - Stu

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 pm

twoshuzz wrote:

Save your paranoia propaganda for FOX NEWS and The National Inquirer.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback