Kilimanjaro gas canisters and crampons question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Africa. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Africa Climbing Partners section.
summitman175

Re: Kilimanjaro gas canisters and crampons question

by summitman175 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:36 pm

About Visas no big deal, they must be paid in USD only and it is $50.00 for Tanzania
$50.00 takes you for a 3 month period. Tourist Visa
In Nairobi you will aslo have a visa $25.00 for a period of 3 months so when you leave Kenya and when you return your visa still good you do not need another one!
You can also get yourTanzania Visa at the border (Namanga) and at Airport.
Tanzania Visa $50.00 USd
Kenya Visa $25.00 USD and must be exactly that amount! They never have change

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Thank you Summitman for your update info!

I also heard the summit permit has increased. Still should be paid in USD Travelers Cheques?

summitman175

by summitman175 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:51 am

summitman175 wrote:Your trip sounds so comfusing !

You are not allowed and cannot fly with a gas tank anywhere in tanzania Kenya or any country in Africa!
You can find gas canisters anywhere in Tanzania, any size you want just about everywhere. This should be the least worries.
You will NOT need crampons to climb Kilimanjaro but you can bring them along if you like that.
You can get a taxi from Nairobi to Namanga (Border name between Kenya and Tanzania) but that is it. You will get out and get another Taxi at the other side of Kenya (Namanga) From Nairoobi to Namanga will cost you the least $350.00 USD or more!
From Namanga into Arusha about $200.00 UDS
There are busses many of them that live Nairobi at 9:00 am to Arusha for only $25.00 UDS

You cannot go all the way Moshi and want to trek in Mt. Meru, next day!! You have to stay in Arusha if you really want trek Mt. Meru.
You need to take KLM and arrive in Kilimanjaro Internationnal Airport evening time around 9:30 Ppm Arusha and next day and continue to Moshi.

Taking taxis will cost you way to much money to go from here to there. There are other ways to get around for litle money .
I am a mountain guide graduated from Mweka Wildlife College and taking trekkers more than a 175 time up kili.
So you need to check what you are doing it doesn't seem okay. If you are trying to go cheap, what you are doing will cost you so much more than than what you are thinking!
By the way the Maasai these days are very knowledjable about money, and yes they ask for money all the time, and so much that will make you laugh! Good luck to you and have no worries about gas caniters.

WouterB

by WouterB » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks for the update summitman! I've already booked my trip, but no doubt people will sooner or later book a trip through you if you keep posting here with this kind of information!

I'll consider sleeping in Nairobi and leaving for Moshi the next day. I also told our operator that I would rather stay in Arusha, but they only have a hotel in Moshi. They were cheap, so I didn't argue... .

The following user would like to thank WouterB for this post
summitman175

WouterB

by WouterB » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:There's a "Joker" bar in arusha right on the other side of the street of the Rwanda tribunal

23 days without alcohol and counting, so no thanks :D

summitman175

by summitman175 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 pm

You are not allowed and cannot fly with a gas tank anywhere in tanzania Kenya or any country in Africa!
You can find gas canisters anywhere in Tanzania, any size you want just about everywhere. This should be the least worries.
You will NOT need crampons to climb Kilimanjaro but you can bring them along if you like that.
You can get a taxi from Nairobi to Namanga (Border name between Kenya and Tanzania) but that is it. You will get out and get another Taxi at the other side of Kenya (Namanga) From Nairoobi to Namanga will cost you the least $350.00 USD or more!
There are busses many of them that live Nairobi at 9:00 am to Arusha for only $25.00 UDS

You cannot go all the way Moshi and want to trek in Mt. Meru, next day!! You have to stay in Arusha if you really want trek Mt. Meru.
You need to take KLM and arrive in Kilimanjaro Internationnal Airport evening time around 9:30 Ppm Arusha and next day and continue to Moshi.

Taking taxis will cost you way to much money to go from here to there. There are other ways to get around for litle money .
I am a mountain guide graduated from Mweka Wildlife College and taking trekkers more than a 175 time up kili.
So you need to check what you are doing it doesn't seem okay. If you are trying to go cheap, what you are doing will cost you so much more than than what you are thinking!
By the way the Maasai these days are very knowledjable about money, and yes they ask for money all the time, aso much that will make you laugh! Good luck to you and have no worries about gas caniters.

summitman175

by summitman175 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:43 pm

WouterB wrote:Thanks for the update summitman! I've already booked my trip, but no doubt people will sooner or later book a trip through you if you keep posting here with this kind of information!

I'll consider sleeping in Nairobi and leaving for Moshi the next day. I also told our operator that I would rather stay in Arusha, but they only have a hotel in Moshi. They were cheap, so I didn't argue... .

Oh Wish you had booked with me man! I am a native of Tanzania and grow up at the foothills of Kilimanjaro! You say you will consider sleeping in Nairobi thats is better so you can get some rest. There is a place called Back Pakers way cheap in Arusha and center of Arusha Town. You should stay there after traveling from Nairobi. It is a very long journey from Nairobi to Arusha.It use to take only 5 hours but they are fixing the main rood so it will take at 7 hours. Then from Arusha to whatever route you are starting your climb to the nearest hotel could be a few more hours.You should stay in Arusha and give me a call for sure, I would like to meet you. I am not sure what tour operator you are using but they don't seem to be helping you or giving you good information! Well hope to see you in Arusha, lol...Good luck man

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:22 am

Summitman, we've followed your advise and booked a hotel in Nairobi. We'll take the bus to Moshi the following morning, which will:
  • Cose us a day
  • Save us a little bit of money
  • Give us time to shop for gas canisters
  • Get us some sleep before starting climbing.

summitman175

by summitman175 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:26 pm

You cannot go all the way Moshi and want to trek in Mt. Meru, next day! You have to stay in Arusha if you really want trek Mt. Meru.

By the way the Maasai these days are very knowledjable about money, and yes they ask for money all the time, aso much that will make you laugh! Good luck to you and have no worries about gas caniters.

dpryan999

by dpryan999 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:08 pm

you may have already travelled, but the store referenced above is the Nakumatt Mega, which is very close to the airport and open 24/7. There are quite a few around Nairobi which have some basic camping supplies, including those blue gas cannisters (see http://www.nakumatt.net/). Nairobi Sports House (no website, but google it for phone # and addresses; located in Westlands [near Sarit Center Mall], Village Market Mall and downtown) and Toread (http://www.toread.com.cn/Ennew/index.asp) (located in Yayah Center Mall and Westgate Mall) also have gas cannisters. Toread has the best selection of outdoor gear I've found; like a small Chinese-Kenyan REI. Nakumatt and Nairobi Sports Store are more on par with your department store Coleman-style camping gear. Hope you have/had a great climb to Uhuru!

bobbyfm

by bobbyfm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi guys, any advise on where to get gas canisters in Moshi?

Previous

Return to Africa