California Ice Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
User Avatar
SKI

 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:52 pm
Thanked: 47 times in 27 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by SKI » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 am

Let's see the bad news, wrathburn

User Avatar
granjero

 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:47 am
Thanked: 46 times in 29 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by granjero » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Juneuary's War against Eagle Lake Ice

Image

Image

The following user would like to thank granjero for this post
John Duffield, Shane Rathbun

no avatar
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Re: California Ice Conditions

by The Chief » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:10 am

Thin but good and challenging...

The Bard Harrington Wall (From bottom to top, 1st P 58M (thin marginal 10 & 13's only), 2nd P 57M (mostly 13s and 2 16's) and 3rd (13's & 16's) for both variations, (to the "tree" 60M) twice in two consecutive days.

Had the the route to ourselves both days (yesterday & today) with some saying "Isn't it is too thin?" Yeah it's thin with some longer than normal runouts (30-40 feet in some sections).... good & loads of fun.
Image
Image
Image
Image

EDIT: ADDITIONS!!!
Last edited by The Chief on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
Daria, John Duffield, Shane Rathbun, westhegimp

User Avatar
dskoon

 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:06 am
Thanked: 136 times in 104 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by dskoon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:31 am

Radical, Chief. Good work.

User Avatar
mtndonkey

 
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:49 pm
Thanked: 10 times in 9 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by mtndonkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 am

Anyone have recent beta on June Lake ice conditions from the past couple days? I am looking to head up on Saturday to get some practice in since I am new to leading on ice.

no avatar
bergbryce

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:23 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: California Ice Conditions

by bergbryce » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 am

I'm wondering about ice in Eagle Ck.
Had that little storm and now it's getting good and cold at night, anyone know if anything is in?

User Avatar
Princess Buttercup

 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:13 pm
Thanked: 456 times in 245 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Roadside was in but was getting mushy on Sunday (storm was not that cold). Managed to find a fair number of rocks under the snow, as well. But much fun was had! (Great place to run tool-less drills once the TR was set up).

Image

Image

Photo set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics6 ... 403040111/

Have fun. Might be back up on Sunday.

-L

The following user would like to thank Princess Buttercup for this post
John Duffield, westhegimp

User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3143
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Thanked: 213 times in 131 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by Deb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 pm

MooseTracks wrote:Roadside was in but was getting mushy on Sunday (storm was not that cold). Managed to find a fair number of rocks under the snow, as well. But much fun was had! (Great place to run tool-less drills once the TR was set up).

Image

Image

Photo set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics6 ... 403040111/

Have fun. Might be back up on Sunday.

-L


DAMMIT! stupid leg :(

User Avatar
Brian McElwain

 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:37 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: California Ice Conditions

by Brian McElwain » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Do you sling a tree for the anchor on the roadside ice? How high is the anchor-do you need two ropes? I might be there on Thursday.

User Avatar
kevin trieu

 
Posts: 979
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:59 pm
Thanked: 88 times in 64 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by kevin trieu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Brian McElwain wrote:Do you sling a tree for the anchor on the roadside ice? How high is the anchor-do you need two ropes? I might be there on Thursday.

Brian, yes. 60m is good for the right side and also good for the middle with an extended anchor of about 6 feet.

no avatar
bergbryce

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:23 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: California Ice Conditions

by bergbryce » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 am

anyone got info concerning Eagle Ck? Yeah or Nay?? Still gettin' cold at night. :?:

User Avatar
Daria

 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:33 am
Thanked: 273 times in 191 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by Daria » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Horsetail Falls, June Lake offered a nice mixed route off to the right that I did:

Image

on route:
Image

Whitney area had some nicely formed ice and offered what looked to be a very fun playground. (2/13/11) Lower boyscout lake:
Image

Image

and upper boyscout lake ice falls:
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Didn't get a chance to climb them as was dayhiking Whitney before the major storm system comes in.
I'm the top troll.

The following user would like to thank Daria for this post
westhegimp

User Avatar
westhegimp

 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:42 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: California Ice Conditions

by westhegimp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:06 am

Bump for current conditions in Lee Vining. Is the road open/plowed?
Thanks

Wes

User Avatar
mtndonkey

 
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:49 pm
Thanked: 10 times in 9 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by mtndonkey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:07 am

kevin trieu wrote:
Brian McElwain wrote:Do you sling a tree for the anchor on the roadside ice? How high is the anchor-do you need two ropes? I might be there on Thursday.

Brian, yes. 60m is good for the right side and also good for the middle with an extended anchor of about 6 feet.


Does this mean 60m doubles or just a 60m rope is good? I am planning on bringing doubles for climbing horestail this Sat and thinking of roadside on Sun but would prefer to climb single 60m at roadside if it is doable. I checked out roadside a few weeks ago when I was up there for the first time, but it was at the end of the day and really didn't pay very much attention.

User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8960
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Re: California Ice Conditions

by rhyang » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:29 am

mtndonkey wrote:Does this mean 60m doubles or just a 60m rope is good? I am planning on bringing doubles for climbing horestail this Sat and thinking of roadside on Sun but would prefer to climb single 60m at roadside if it is doable. I checked out roadside a few weeks ago when I was up there for the first time, but it was at the end of the day and really didn't pay very much attention.


A single 60m is fine for TR'ing the roadside ice. Two ropes are useful for rapping Horsetail (such as it is :) )
Taaaake !

PreviousNext

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scott M. and 0 guests