Mount Evans in March ... usually feasible?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
surgent

Mount Evans in March ... usually feasible?

by surgent » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:41 pm

I will be in Denver in mid-late March for a conference. My free time will be limited, so all-day hikes are out of the question. However, if the road is open, I might drive it to some point and make a short hike to the top. Is this feasible (usually) in March, or is March still too early, e.g. snow/closures? I am assuming this is probably not going to work for me, but maybe some of you have had good luck with this peak in late winter/early spring. Any advice is useful!

Thanks in advance,

Scott

SarahThompson

Re: Mount Evans in March ... usually feasible?

by SarahThompson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:48 pm

The road will not be open in March. Its 14 miles one-way from the winter closure. Cutting the switchbacks reduces that considerably but its still a long day and probably requires snowshoes.

If you want something high that takes just a couple of hours, check out Mt. Sniktau (13er) from Loveland Pass.

The following user would like to thank SarahThompson for this post
surgent

Layne Bracy

by Layne Bracy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:10 pm

If doing a P2K interests you, consider Twin Sisters near Longs Peak.

Layne

surgent

by surgent » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks to both suggestions. The Sniktau hike looks logistically simple in that I can drive up fast, hike it in a couple hours, and get back to my meetings. I'll look into the Twin Sisters too.

The sad reality is that I probably won't get to anything, due to a packed schedule. But I'm lining up ideas just in case.

Return to Colorado