Huntington Ravine Waypoints

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Greeneggs

Huntington Ravine Waypoints

by Greeneggs » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:17 am

Hey all, just wondering if anyone might have the waypoints of the Huntington Ravine gullies (Pinnacle, Escape Hatch, etc) they could share with me?

It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Graham

graham dot shaw at cgimfg dot com

divnamite

Re: Huntington Ravine Waypoints

by divnamite » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:43 pm

I don't have them, but if you concern about getting lost. The trail pretty much take you to the bottom of the Ravine. Each route literally line up like in the guide book. The lines are so distinctive that you won't have any route finding problem.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:21 pm

divnamite wrote:I don't have them, but if you concern about getting lost. The trail pretty much take you to the bottom of the Ravine. Each route literally line up like in the guide book. The lines are so distinctive that you won't have any route finding problem.

+1

The book "An Ice Climber's Guide to Northern new England" is very good and if you follow the photos and directions in there you should be fine!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Actually, I would say the top of the Escape Hatch is not a bad place to have a waypoint, especially if the weather appears at all questionable.

no avatar
fsclimb

by fsclimb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:57 pm

dunno for sure, but a GPS may not work in the ravine. Would not count on it anyhoo.

no avatar
bdynkin

by bdynkin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Graham,

The top of Escape Hatch can be hard to find even in good weather. It is the next gully to the south after South Gully and it's easy to mix them up looking from the top. So yes, AlexeyD is right, it's a very good idea to have a few waypoints. GPS will work perfectly there - the top is wide open. Good news is that if you find it you can't get lost - just go down and you will intersect the main trail (Huntington Ravine trail) even though it maybe a bit of a bushwack in a low snow year. I've descended Escape Hatch probably half a dozen times but never had a chance to enter a few waypoints. Here is the best I can do (see link below, click on markers to get the coordinates of the waypoints. AlexeyD and me descended it together a few times so he should take a look and comment.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.27148,-71 ... ngton%20NH

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:59 am

bdynkin wrote:Graham,

The top of Escape Hatch can be hard to find even in good weather. It is the next gully to the south after South Gully and it's easy to mix them up looking from the top. So yes, AlexeyD is right, it's a very good idea to have a few waypoints. GPS will work perfectly there - the top is wide open. Good news is that if you find it you can't get lost - just go down and you will intersect the main trail (Huntington Ravine trail) even though it maybe a bit of a bushwack in a low snow year. I've descended Escape Hatch probably half a dozen times but never had a chance to enter a few waypoints. Here is the best I can do (see link below, click on markers to get the coordinates of the waypoints. AlexeyD and me descended it together a few times so he should take a look and comment.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.27148,-71 ... ngton%20NH

Looks right to me. As a side note - in the past there used to be a shovel handle stuck in a pile of rocks as a landmark for the top of the escape hatch, but it's been a few years since I've been up there, so I'm not sure it's still there. If it is, it would somewhere near point B on bdynkin's map.

kozman18

by kozman18 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:13 pm

It would be good to get a waypoint for the top of Escape in case you need to bail. I was up there last year, and couldn't find it (wind and snow -- bad visibility).

I think bdynkin's map coordinates are for the top of South Gully. Not sure -- I think the top of Escape is a little farther south than that, but it's hard to tell.

I am heading up to Huntington next week. If I get to Escape and can grab the coordinates of the cairn marking the gully top, I'll post them (with a picture of the cairn).

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:10 am

kozman18 wrote:It would be good to get a waypoint for the top of Escape in case you need to bail. I was up there last year, and couldn't find it (wind and snow -- bad visibility).

I think bdynkin's map coordinates are for the top of South Gully. Not sure -- I think the top of Escape is a little farther south than that, but it's hard to tell.

I am heading up to Huntington next week. If I get to Escape and can grab the coordinates of the cairn marking the gully top, I'll post them (with a picture of the cairn).

I counted the gullies starting from Central, and I'm pretty sure it's correct, but yes - it's a bit hard to tell, I agree.

kozman18

by kozman18 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 pm

I used Google Earth to spot the gully tops, but it's hard to see Escape, so I may be wrong. If I get good GPS info, I'll post it when I get back.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)