Pinnacle Gully

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
forjan

Pinnacle Gully

by forjan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi folks,
I'll be in NH on Presidents Day weekend and was wondering what are the latest ice conditions on the Huntington gullies (e.g. Pinnacle Gully, Odell's, Damnation, etc). Also, with all the recent weather, is avalanche hazard high on Huntington Ravine? How is the winter Lion's Head descent route now? Lastly, any suggestions for cheap lodging near Pinkham Notch, Jackson or North Conway?

Much thanks.

--Miguel

kozman18

Re: Pinnacle Gully

by kozman18 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:47 pm

This is the best website, I think, for current conditions in the ravine. The avalanche ratings change quickly, depending on the wind and snow load. Best to check them in advance -- they post the ratings at Harvard Cabin, which is on the way to the ravine.

I'll be up there on President's Day too -- hoping for good climbing conditions.

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:43 pm

I'll be up there on Presidents Day as well. I'll be staying at Harvard Cabin and plan to do Pinnacle too. You best be off by the time I roll up! :wink:

Kozman18, will you be staying at the cabin?
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

kozman18

by kozman18 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I am heading up with my climbing partner on Monday a.m., staying at the cabin Monday-Saturday. Probably head up to the Ravine for some practice on Monday afternoon, and then climb the gullies during the week. Maybe we'll run in to you.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:45 pm

Aww man, Monday morning is when we are leaving, We may pass each other on the trail though or see you for a little at the Cabin, Ill just ask everyone I see that day if they know of a kozman!
- The Dude, Lebowski

no avatar
fsclimb

by fsclimb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm

forjan wrote:Hi folks,
any suggestions for cheap lodging near Pinkham Notch, Jackson or North Conway?

Much thanks.

--Miguel

Gorham (~7 miles North of Stinkum Crotch- err Pinkham Notch) is probably the cheapest nearby town to stay in. Hikers Paradise has bunks for $20...also private rooms as cheap as you'll find in that area. The Mt Madison Motel is across the street, rooms are competitively priced.

http://www.hikersparadise.com/hikersparadise.htm
http://www.mtmadisonmotel.com/

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:16 am

I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon to go to Harvard cabin. If any of you are there or around give me a shout! Ill be with my girlfriend and my climbing buddy who will have his girlfriend along as well. Look for a happy bunch! Will be leaving Monday.
- The Dude, Lebowski

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:55 am

Hotoven wrote:I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon to go to Harvard cabin. If any of you are there or around give me a shout! Ill be with my girlfriend and my climbing buddy who will have his girlfriend along as well. Look for a happy bunch! Will be leaving Monday.

Have fun, but watch out for ice dams during these freeze-thaw cycles over the next few days...

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)