Non-climbers are weak. Do not speak to them, ignore them all

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Marmaduke

Re: Non-climbers are weak. Do not speak to them, ignore them

by Marmaduke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:26 pm

I think your thread Steve ties in nicely with the "Elitism" thread.
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/elitism-t52172.html

TimB

by TimB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:49 pm

What about us folks that are very interested in becoming climbers, but are just starting out?

The following user would like to thank TimB for this post
Marmaduke

LuminousAphid

by LuminousAphid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:30 pm

You don't sound like the kind of "climber" I would want to talk with anyway. I am just a hiker and scrambler, but would like to get into alpine climbing at some point. I was part of the climbing club at my college for a while, and like the above poster pointed out, many of them had attitudes like you and reminded me of the worst type of yuppie. This is Seattle, so that's not surprising, but the type of people who like to exclude others due to simple lack of experience come across as fairly rude in general, at least to me.

I do agree that wearing/displaying climbing stuff in more than a passive way is stupid. But it's not any worse than the hordes of cyclists in this city who walk around in too-tight compression shorts all day long.

mvs

by mvs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm

I don't look like a climber and never did. I'm a chubby gumby. But I climb and have a hell of a great time with all kinds of friends...beginners and experienced climbers. I see no reason to treat most of the world with contempt in order to protect my (precious!) skills or highly calibrated mental state. :D

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
JasonH, PellucidWombat, Sarah Simon

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Steve1215 wrote:Today’s generation of climbers seems different, more ordinary, like climbing to a lot of them is just another outdoor “recreation.” They walk down the street in climbing clothes and they paste climbing bumper stickers on their cars. Surely you know those people are climbers then! If they wear tech clothes to work and display climbing bumper stickers!

"Tech clothes"... That is funny. Cuz the type of climbing I do and have done since long before '74, today's "tech clothes" last one day if even a single pitch. Chinese trendy fashion statement crap with some brand label. It makes today's recreationalists look "cool". Just like all them skaters, snowboarders and other trendy folks.

Climbing has and will be the lifestyle that I chose to live back in the late 60's as young kid. Had absolutely nothing to do with the clothes or today's brand name crap that goes with recreational gig. Nothing. Hell, eating outta garbage cans, PB sandwiches, thumbing to the rocks and hills and just plain living in the dirt for weeks, now that was the deal back then. Still was for me till I finally decided to settle down (in the mountains that I love mind you) and marry my Wonderful Wife 6 years ago. I still am known for heading to local crags for three or four days and living in the dirt.

Dirt Dwellers with itchy crotches I tell ya. No longer the gig. Nope. Where's the closest Motel 6 and the evening Fillet Minion and after meal hot shower/internet connection to paste my days doings all over my Facebook page. That is today's gig.
Last edited by The Chief on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonH

by JasonH » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:58 pm

I think some people spend too much time worrying about what others do.
I have a demon in me - Stu

The following user would like to thank JasonH for this post
Mark Doswald, nickua

mvs

by mvs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm

I've probably been guilty of what Mr. Leghorn points out. I've had to learn to be more polite and quit assuming everyone wants to hear about my weekend. :D

McCannster

by McCannster » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Interesting topic indeed. I guess I'm lumped into the "new generation" of climbers who put bumper stickers on their cars, wear climbing clothes, and talk about climbing to non-climbing people. I do it because I'm really psyched on climbing. It comprises a huge chunk of my life. So, in order to talk to people who I am going to be getting to know, it's kind of hard not to bring up climbing. I also just love talking about climbing in general. Climbing has changed a lot of over the years. I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just different from what it used to be.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:48 pm

TacoDelRio wrote:It's just life, nothing to be taken seriously. If someone thinks you're old school or new school or this or that, doesn't change your life, don't even bother thinking about it. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, just my standpoint. It is what it is.

agreed... many people today crave for validation by others... be yourself, do what makes you happy... be nice to you and others while you go about it... people are different and do things differently.... everybody has the same right to do what they want to do and and how they want to do it... only if you are yourself will others eventually see you for what you truely are

sorry, just feel a little existential this morning :wink:

mrh

by mrh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:26 pm

Steve1215.

The guy is trying hard to be the new Daria.

DersuUzala

by DersuUzala » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Nobody talk to me!!!
You've gotta be crazy to be sane

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm

I learned to climb in 1977, so my observations can be summed up as follows:

Back then: not a lot of climbers; counterculture; sport evolved from moutaineering ethic; participants low key about their accomplishments to nonclimbers

Now: lots of climbers; mainstream; sport groomed toward easier, mass consumption; more participants advertise their sport to nonclimber

Those are pretty broad generalizations but I believe they're fairly accurate. Bottom line, back then if you wanted to climb, you had to suck it up and learn to deal with runouts of 1/4" spinners, not using cams, etc. It was harder and scarier and you had to be OK with that.

Now, lots of people who learned in a controlled atmosphere want their outdoor experience to be similar. That means being OK with crowds, toproping and bolting stuff that you lack the physical and mental skills to climb traditionally. That's certainly not everyone, so my apologies in advance to any offended. However, the trend certainly has been toward the lower common denominator.

BTW, it's not elitism. That's code for being weak.

JasonH

by JasonH » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:58 pm

DersuUzala wrote:Nobody talk to me!!!

Who is Nobody?
I have a demon in me - Stu

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:27 pm

EB's! Lucky dude you were!

Try Chuck Taylors, Forest "T's" and Goldline.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Summary of OP: If you had the gaul to be born after 1965, you suck.

Cheers,
Sarah
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
Arthur Digbee

Next

Return to General