Non-climbers are weak. Do not speak to them, ignore them all

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
simonov

Re: Non-climbers are weak. Do not speak to them, ignore them

by simonov » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Climbing is recreation. Nothing more.

Get over it.
Nunc est bibendum.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:20 pm

simonov wrote:Climbing is recreation. Nothing more.

Get over it.

You don't climb. So, what is the bases of your post?

simonov

by simonov » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:36 pm

The Chief wrote:

Get over it.

I do climb, but I also read and am acquainted with dictionaries.

Those activities that are not necessary for survival or are not vocational are by definition recreational.

The end.
Nunc est bibendum.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:38 pm

I mostly pity people who through either circumstance or personal choice have never experienced the mountains in the way I have. I recall hanging out in the Cascade Pass parking lot trying to hitch a ride back down the road. A family from Sri Lanka was there sight seeing. They asked me if I had climbed any of the mountains and I explained that I had come from a mountain not in the view shed but I had climbed all of the mountains they could see. They asked me to name each peak and point out the different routes I had done. I took photos of the family in front of the peaks and they took turns having their individual photos taken with a 'real' mountaineer. It was an enriching experience for me and I think for the family as well. I am tickeled to think I may be in someone's vacation photos half way around the world.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
mvs

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:45 pm

simonov wrote:
The Chief wrote:

Get over it.

I do climb, but I also read and am acquainted with dictionaries.

Those activities that are not necessary for survival or are not vocational are by definition recreational.

The end.

Life is not based on dictionaries.

Climbing is very vocational my friend, i.e. AMGA/UIAA etc and the many folks out there that have dedicated their lives to "real" climbing.

BTW, when is the last time you spent a week on El Cap or worked an FA for the same amount of time or longer?

JasonH

by JasonH » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:00 pm

I climbed out of bed this morning. Does that count?
I have a demon in me - Stu

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:14 pm

JasonH wrote:I climbed out of bed this morning.

Certainly the most difficult "Rated/Grade" climbing that you have done your entire life, Jason H.

JasonH

by JasonH » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:20 pm

The Chief wrote:
JasonH wrote:I climbed out of bed this morning.

Certainly the most difficult "Rated/Grade" climbing that you have done your entire life, Jason H.

Naw, I've had tougher mornings.
I have a demon in me - Stu

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:I mostly pity people who through either circumstance or personal choice have never experienced the mountains in the way I have. I recall hanging out in the Cascade Pass parking lot trying to hitch a ride back down the road. A family from Sri Lanka was there sight seeing. They asked me if I had climbed any of the mountains and I explained that I had come from a mountain not in the view shed but I had climbed all of the mountains they could see. They asked me to name each peak and point out the different routes I had done. I took photos of the family in front of the peaks and they took turns having their individual photos taken with a 'real' mountaineer. It was an enriching experience for me and I think for the family as well. I am tickeled to think I may be in someone's vacation photos half way around the world.

That's not climbing, that's just snow slogging. You are not making the Chief proud.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:00 pm

kevin trieu wrote:That's not climbing, that's just snow slogging. You are not making the Chief proud.

Really? The 5,000 ft North Face of Johannesberg - the climb that Colin Haley to this day calls the hardest climb relative to his experience he'd ever done - is just snow slogging? Not to mention The Triplets, Mixup, Sharfin Tower, the mightly south face of Forbidden Peak...

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:10 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:
kevin trieu wrote:That's not climbing, that's just snow slogging. You are not making the Chief proud.

Really? The 5,000 ft North Face of Johannesberg - the climb that Colin Haley to this day calls the hardest climb relative to his experience he'd ever done - is just snow slogging? Not to mention The Triplets, Mixup, Sharfin Tower, the mightly south face of Forbidden Peak...

but...butt..buttt... "when is the last time you spent a week on El Cap or worked an FA for the same amount of time or longer?"

:mrgreen:

drpw

by drpw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:44 am

An ode to steve1215 ...

Non-grad students are dumb. Do not speak to them, ignore them all.

Steve1215 wrote:----

My own generation of California grad students (1974-1984) had a habit of not speaking to non-grad students about research. Maybe this was pure snobbery. Maybe it was not.

If some chubby co-worker non-grad student could not appreciate the finer points of research and the glorious scholarly pursuits…then what’s the point of talking to him about research?

My generation of grad students was a quiet and more judgmental generation. I’m talking about dedicated, committed individuals who were serious or pretty darn serious about research. The libraries gave us something special that was intense and very personal.

Today’s generation of grad students seems different, more ordinary, like research to a lot of them is just another career “advancement.” They walk down the street in university clothes and they paste university bumper stickers on their cars. Surely you know those people are grad students then! If they wear university clothes to work and display university bumper stickers!

In professional settings I’ve run across younger people who have “research volumes” up on their shelves, and they blab to their baffled co-workers about market analysis or case studies they’ve done. I’ve listened a few times, but I never tell them that I once was a pretty serious grad student. These grad students seem so “mainstream,” whereas my generation was quite a bit more “counter-culture.”

Though I was thin, a few non-grad students noticed that I had these freakishly developed critical reasoning skills. I did tell them that I developed those skills from research or preparing for research. That’s the only way most people ever found out I was a grad student!

I guess I was too egotistical about my little research accomplishments and the risks I took to share my personal research stories with ignorant and chubby non-grad students. They would never understand, anyway.

Anyone else feel the same way?

DRPW

---

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:53 am

kevin trieu wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:I mostly pity people who through either circumstance or personal choice have never experienced the mountains in the way I have. I recall hanging out in the Cascade Pass parking lot trying to hitch a ride back down the road. A family from Sri Lanka was there sight seeing. They asked me if I had climbed any of the mountains and I explained that I had come from a mountain not in the view shed but I had climbed all of the mountains they could see. They asked me to name each peak and point out the different routes I had done. I took photos of the family in front of the peaks and they took turns having their individual photos taken with a 'real' mountaineer. It was an enriching experience for me and I think for the family as well. I am tickeled to think I may be in someone's vacation photos half way around the world.

That's not climbing, that's just snow slogging. You are not making the Chief proud.

kevin trieu wrote:but...butt..buttt... "when is the last time you spent a week on El Cap or worked an FA for the same amount of time or longer?"

These two posts alone just gives 100% credence to the OP's original opinion.
Last edited by The Chief on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:47 am

guys.... don't go there. It's a General Forum.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:01 am

I've been climbing hills and mountains for as long as I can remember - though never with a rope or any technical gear. I don't know a single “climbing” buzz word, nor can I name more than a few pieces of equipment. I never climbed hills so I could be noticed; I never noticed I was climbing them for recreation. I never got paid, so I’m sure it was not my vocation. I think I just did it because it seemed like the right thing to do. I guess I felt like I had to. In my early to mid teens I lived in Agoura Hills, CA. We (my brother and one friend) climbed a local peak called Ladyface maybe 100 times. Half of those times I wanted nothing more than stay home and watch TV, but I was compelled to get out and smack my way through some chaparral, scramble up some lava rock and stand in the always present high winds on the summit. There were countless trips to Malibu Creek Park where we scaled nearly every peak and traversed nearly every ridgeline in the park. We never told anyone about what we were doing and we didn't care that nobody else ever wanted to know about it and when we asked others to go, they would ask, why?

We were kings of the world and we knew it. That’s all that mattered. Any way you slice it, I know I'm a climber.

My 4-year-old son has started on trees now. Looks like he's a climber too!

PreviousNext

Return to General