Mens Softshell Pants Recommendations

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
mplutodh1

Mens Softshell Pants Recommendations

by mplutodh1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:46 am

Looking for recomendations on softshell pants for Rainier and other alpine climbs in the PNW.

Read recommendations from RMI/Alpine Ascents/IMG for:

Marmot Scree ($99 and readily available at REI and other retailers)
OR Credo ($150+ and no longer on OR site, wonder if they are no longer being made)

Also saw the REI ACME - and happen to find a pair in my size at REI tonight - but wasn't sure how they perform.

Any recommendations? Looking for a pair that will be moderatly flexible (stretch) have decent pockets and are sturdy enough to last a while.

Maranna

Re: Mens Softshell Pants Recommendations

by Maranna » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:06 am

I just picked up a pair of Patagonia Alpine Guide Pants and love them. Great fit, pockets, vent zippers on the upper outter legs. Short zipper cuffs with snaps and an inner "gaitor" cover with elastic snap. Good closure over boots. They shed snow nicely too. Great all around pants.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:53 pm

My favorite soft shells are Patagonia guide series pants. I also have a pair of REI ACME pants which are well conceived and constructed. Either one would be perfect for Rainier. If you have the chance, buy a lighter color. When you are roasting on the Muir snowfield you will appreciate the lighter color.

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Mammut Champ or Patagonia the best of the best.

cp59

by cp59 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Another vote for the Alpine Guide - I've skied, climbed, hiked in them, such a versatile pant...

SKI

by SKI » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Patagonia Backcountry Guide pant. Best softshells ever.

mplutodh1

by mplutodh1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm

Anyone know where you can find the Backcountry Guide's online? Backcountry only has limited sizes (of course not mine) and I'm struggling to find them on other sites. Patagonia doesn't even have that same model... as far as I can tell. They have the Alpine Guide but they appear to be a slightly 'lower' model. Like the looks of the Backcountry. I'm more a size 30-32 in the waist and rather be a little bigger to sinch down than too tight!

mplutodh1

by mplutodh1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Thank you all by the way!

jmh5331

by jmh5331 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:43 pm

The Mountain Hardwear Synchro pants are the best alpine climbing pant I've ever had. They fit, feel, and move like a typical softshell pant but the Conduit membrane makes them extremely water resistant (dare I say "proof"?). They were perfect for a particularly wet/snowy trip to the PNW a couple years ago, and I've worn them on big glaciated peaks and technical scrambles/climbs in the Rockies. I've never had an issue with breathability, though I imagine they are less breathable than non-membrane softshells. Hope that helps!

Mike

mplutodh1

by mplutodh1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:15 pm

sweet, started a chat with Patagonia via their site, found out because they are 'out of season' they aren't selling them on the site. So, the rep checked, found a pair in grey in my size and they were on sale with free SHI - $105 shipped. Thanks everyone for recommendations - they look like a great pair of soft shell pants!

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:16 am

Love the REI Acme. I have worn them every day on both Denali and Aconcagua without any issues. Great rock climbing pant as well on chilly mornings.

Kai

by Kai » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:16 pm

I am partial to the Mammut Extreme Hybrid pants.

They are a combination of softshell and hard shell. Hard shell fabric on the seat and knees, with softshell elsewhere.

They breathe well, are comfortable and stretchy, but are significantly more water resistant than other softshell pants I've worn.

http://www.altrec.com/mammut/extreme-hybrid-pants

MScholes

by MScholes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 am

I`m quite the fan of the Mammut Glacier pant. Extremely stretchy, very breathable, and very weather resistant. Can't find anything that I don't like about mine.

drpw

by drpw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:38 am

Softshell pants are a waste of weight if you're bringing them and a pair of hardshell pants. Dress cold with hardshells and vent and you're fine. Plus you save a pound in weight and mucho room in your pack.

SKI

by SKI » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 am

Couldn't tell you how many hardshell pants I've seen rip at the crotch, tear at the ass and bust at the zippers. I've seen hardshells get cut open on abrasive ice and watched them just get shredded after a small encounter with rock.

For skiing, hardshell pants are great!
For ice climbing, they're not too bad!
For rock, scrambling and anything/everything in between- they WILL get shredded and you WILL be wishing you had the durability, stretch ability and longevity of softshell pants.

Plus, they are damn near as waterproof as their hardshell counterparts.

Next

Return to Gear