Yosemite Crag Conditions Question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
PellucidWombat

Yosemite Crag Conditions Question

by PellucidWombat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:12 am

I'm planning on climbing in the Valley next weekend (April 1-3). While the long period of warming has me feeling good about conditions, there are a couple of areas I want to climb at that I haven't been to yet in winter, so I don't know how wet they are and how likely they are to dry out or become safe by next weekend.

Could the regulars pitch in and give me some guesses?

Or warnings as to any main routes that might be wet even if the area in general is dry?

The areas I want to go to are:

Royal Arches (Select Routes)
I know a lot of this area is wet, but it really depends on the main waterfalls off of the rim. I'm wondering about Peruvian Flake and especially Superslide

Glacier Point Apron

Camp 4 Wall

El Cap Base - I know this one can be dangerous from stuff falling off of the rim. What should I look for/consider in determining if it is reasonably safe & clear?

PellucidWombat

Re: Yosemite Crag Conditions Question

by PellucidWombat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:17 am

I guess part 2 to this question is the same question, but especially considering the huge amount of snow received last weekend. Temps look to be sunny & high (high 50s-60s) all next week, but I really don't have a feel for how quickly the snow at the lower elevations and south aspects will burn off.

WML

by WML » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Your best bet for a timely and extremely accurate response to this would be SuperTopo. Lots of Valley locals post there and will give up to the minute conditions updates.

The following user would like to thank WML for this post
PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:31 am

3rd pitch of Nutcracker is wet, but the rest of the routes on Manure Pile are dry. Pat & Jack Pinnacle was nice & dry, and so was Generator Crack!

Swan slab is hit or miss depending on the route (Grant's crack is good). Five Open Books is a water park right now.

Reed's Pinnacle is really wet across most of the area.

The last two nights there were some very big rumbles coming off from the direction of Glacier Point Apron.

Also, the ground at Upper Pines is saturated with water, so the area is very wet and muddy. Camp 4 is much nicer, with either dry ground or consolidated snow.

The following user would like to thank PellucidWombat for this post
Fredd C Dobbs

QITNL

by QITNL » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Here are some shots from last weekend, they might give you an idea of semi-current conditions, as well as what will be coming down soon:

More here: http://www.qitnl.com/v/040111/

Return to California