Stereotypes?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Kristin5berry

Re: Stereotypes?

by Kristin5berry » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 am

This entire forum is severely entertaining!!!

*as far as the article goes, Im sure that the geek-squad/ Harvard or MIT grad/ know-it-all who wrote it has absolutely NO idea what kind of skill, and hard work goes in to mountain climbing. Maybe he should read "Eiger Dreams," "Climb," "Addicted to Danger," "Seven Summits" or any book with a mountaineering flavor.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:23 am

Kristin5berry wrote:This entire forum is severely entertaining!!!

*as far as the article goes, Im sure that the geek-squad/ Harvard or MIT grad/ know-it-all who wrote it has absolutely NO idea what kind of skill, and hard work goes in to mountain climbing. Maybe he should read "Eiger Dreams," "Climb," "Addicted to Danger," "Seven Summits" or any book with a mountaineering flavor.

Or, maybe he should watch "Cliffhanger ...?" Buttered popcorn ONLY has 1500 calories.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Kristin5berry wrote: Im sure that the geek-squad/ Harvard or MIT grad/ know-it-all who wrote it has absolutely NO idea what kind of skill, and hard work goes in to mountain climbing.

April 1 hacks at MIT have traditionally involved the climbing club.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MIT_h ... ia_Lab.jpg
(see full-size to see what's going on).

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:47 pm

Mountain Climbers are the individuals who have inhaled the idea that their experiences are more important and more instructive than anyone else's experiences and ideas.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I'm curious. What were some of the other categories considered saboteurs?
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Kristin5berry

by Kristin5berry » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:17 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
Kristin5berry wrote: Im sure that the geek-squad/ Harvard or MIT grad/ know-it-all who wrote it has absolutely NO idea what kind of skill, and hard work goes in to mountain climbing.

hahaha
I live in Cambridge and I see the annual "what are the MIT kids gonna do now?" I vote that was one of the better "pranks." You still wouldnt find one of those hipsters peak-bagging in the Whites, not even with an Ipad and side-satchel.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 am

Kristin5berry wrote:
hahaha
I live in Cambridge and I see the annual "what are the MIT kids gonna do now?" I vote that was one of the better "pranks." You still wouldnt find one of those hipsters peak-bagging ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw[/youtube]

:D
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Kristin5berry wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:

hahaha
I live in Cambridge and I see the annual "what are the MIT kids gonna do now?" I vote that was one of the better "pranks." You still wouldnt find one of those hipsters peak-bagging in the Whites, not even with an Ipad and side-satchel.

I would doubt that half the hipsters in the people's republic of Cambridge have cars, much less get to any peaks. Still, Cambridge is good for a few restaurants though.

Bob Sihler wrote:I'm curious. What were some of the other categories considered saboteurs?

The other ones are just as corny, if not worse.

Psychic: Believing themselves to be clairvoyant regarding what others are thinking, psychics habitually jump in during the middle of your thought and finish it for you. Or believing themselves to be superior thinkers, they jump in before you can further demonstrate your paucity of intelligence, thus saving you from yourself – at least in their minds. We suspect psychics are battling an internal energy issue where they struggle to contain their impulse to interrupt or respond, or they have an inflated ego (or maybe both).

Parachutist: These are the individuals who drop in on a conversation, unannounced and uninvited. Parachutists assume their input is wanted and needed. Feeling strongly about themselves and their input, parachutists presume that there is always a global demand for their opinions.

Ultimate Fighter: Laying in the bush waiting for the wrong thing to be said, a naïve suggestion to surface or an idea to get floated that is well within the range of their weapons of pessimism and scorn, ultimate fighters ambush the conversation process with negativity and cynical clichés. Ultimate fighters are those intense individuals who are agenda and ego-driven. They view each conversation as a competition with a clear winner and a clear loser.

Talk Show Host: You will never have a real conversation with a talk show host…The more they talk, the louder they get. Talk show hosts never really engage in dialogue because they view conversation as an opportunity to have an audience…they try to make a point, but it evolves into a soliloquy. They can’t stop themselves – it’s simply too soothing for them to hear their own voice.

Graffiti Artist: Graffiti artists are the individuals who are unable to prevent themselves from marring or distracting from another person’s message with their own artistic expressions, which often take the form of entertainment or artistry. They often view the conversation as a platform for their wit. Graffiti artists sometimes stake out territory with their artsy clichés and need to push the boundaries while entertaining themselves with minimal regard for the original intent of the conversation.

drpw

by drpw » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Mountain Climbers are the individuals who have inhaled the idea that their experiences are more important and more instructive than anyone else's experiences and ideas. More than likely they are driven by their insecurities that someone else may have had an experience more vibrant than their own.

Sounds about right.

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander