Help! Recommend Featured Pages

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bruno

by Bruno » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:15 pm

Bruno_Tibet wrote:Nice to see Cho Oyu currently featured on the front page, but the picture on the front page is of Jobo Rabzang (6666m), located 12km away from Cho Oyu. Might be good to chose another one!

Sorry if it sounds a bit picky, but the picture of Jobo Rabzang is still showing up instead of Cho Oyu in the past featured pages.

Here some more information about Jobo Rabzang, a very aesthetic but much lower summit (6666m), which is definitely a separate mountain from Cho Oyu. Once again, it might be good to change the picture featuring Cho Oyu with a real picture of Cho Oyu, as both mountains shoudn't be confused.

Jobo Rabzang (6666m):
Cho Oyu (8201m):

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Hardly seems picky at all to request the correct mountain be captioned. That's the Tibet side, correct? Too make sure, the below is Cho Oyu, from the Nepal side and I could put it up.

Bruno

by Bruno » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:34 pm

John Duffield wrote:That's the Tibet side, correct?

Yes, this is from Tibet side. Jobo Rabzang is actually fully inside Tibet (around 6km north of Nangpa La), but has often been included by mistake in the list of peaks open for climbing published by the Nepalese government (under the name of Jobo Ribjang 6666m). :)

If you are at Cho Oyu ABC (Tibet side), Cho Oyu lies to the SE, and Jobo Rabzang to the NE. The picture of Jobo Rabzang currently displayed instead of Cho Oyu has been taken around 20km further north, at what is called Drivers' BC (40km south of Tingri).

Cho Oyu from ABC (Tibet side):

Jobo Rabzang from ABC (Tibet side):

Jobo Rabzang from Drivers' BC (Tibet side):

mrchad9

Re: Recommendations for Front Page "Featured Mountains"

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:47 am

Not a mountain, but a route.

http://www.summitpost.org/route/271764/ ... anyon.html

To me this is a perfect example of what a route page should be. The layout is good. More important, the description is thorough and accurate. The photos of the route are very helpful.

Climbed this before I had done much class three, so it was good to have this level of information to lay out the route at the time. Had used SP a few years, and was thankful to have this resource. I eventually created a SP account largely due to this page and so I could vote on it.

AND THE AUTHOR CLIMBED THE ROUTE!!!

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:14 pm

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
Brad Marshall

mvs

by mvs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:

I second that!

I third it!!

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:23 am

Great report and definitely front page material.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 pm

mvs wrote:
Vitaliy M wrote:

I second that!

I third it!!

A good call, but since this thread is for featured mountains, etc., the person who puts up the featured trip reports may not see this. Someone should start a thread for recommending featured trip reports if one doesn't already exist.

If I'm confusing anyone, it's this way: one person does the trip reports and articles, and another selects the featured mountains, routes, and such. This thread calls attention to the latter group.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Bruno

Re:

by Bruno » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:51 pm

Bruno_Tibet wrote:
Bruno_Tibet wrote:Nice to see Cho Oyu currently featured on the front page, but the picture on the front page is of Jobo Rabzang (6666m), located 12km away from Cho Oyu. Might be good to chose another one!

Sorry if it sounds a bit picky, but the picture of Jobo Rabzang is still showing up instead of Cho Oyu in the past featured pages.

Sorry for insisting again and again (but perseverance is the essence of mountaineering...), but the picture of Jobo Rabzang is still appearing instead of Cho Oyu, now on page 6 of the "past featured pages". Any possibility to change it with a correct picture of Cho Oyu? :oops:

Bruno

by Bruno » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:19 pm

OK, after complaining about details, now with a new proposal for a featured mountain:
Ruwenzori mountains were already on front page not so long ago, but what about featuring Mt. Stanley, the highest massif in the range. The page is excellent, and includes routes to the two highest summits.
http://www.summitpost.org/mt-stanley/212349

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:24 pm

I think this page deserves recognition:

Southeast Oregon Basin and Range

It is vast, filled with great information, has lots of good images and is a great resource. This page is an obvious labor of love.

The following user would like to thank Bubba Suess for this post
calebEOC

visentin

by visentin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:35 am

A trans-Pyrenean collaboration :)
Nestes & Luchonnais (the central Pyrenees)

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:57 am

I appreciate the featured routes and mountains recently. Its great when they are NOT something that I could nearly simultaneously see on the What's New page. Thank you for your thoughtful presentations.
我不知道杰克

yatsek

by yatsek » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 am

One of the pages I've collaborated on, the first I've ever recommended. The owner has been to these little known mountains several times and he's fetched lots of interesting material. The SP page covering the Marmarosh Mountains seems to be one of the best sources of information about this mountain range available on the Internet.

The following user would like to thank yatsek for this post
lcarreau

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback