Got mah REI Dividend today...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MarkDidier

Re: Got mah REI Dividend today...

by MarkDidier » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:$315. I don't buy too much at regular price there, but I got the REI Visa card last April and have used it for most spending since then. I pay off my balance each month, so this is like "free" money for gear for me.

Rebates--

Non-REI purchases 1%
Sale-price REI purchases 5%
Full-price REI items 10%

And when I signed up, I got a $50 gift card as well. The REI Visa has been a great deal for me, and no annual fees.

If there is no annual fee then I may go ahead and get their Visa. I have a decent amount in work related expenses that I charge and get reimbursed for each month. It won't get me a lot of gear, but my wife will be happier when I save some money on my (at least annual) REI purchases!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:10 pm

lcarreau wrote:The nearest REI (from where I live) is 100 miles away, and I figure it will take 1/2-tank of gasoline round-trip ..

Can a person receive their discount online ??? What is the special code to type in ?

If you're a member, there's an option to apply your dividend when you purchase online.

If you refer to the current 20% discount for members, the code is MEM2011.

You get free shipping for orders over $75.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
lcarreau

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:45 am

The good news is that I got a Deuter Speedlite 20 backpack (retail $79) free with my REI Dividend.

The bad news is that I can't talk my wife into moving to an REI Visa card from our current Visa because it generates so many free airline miles. Guess I'll have to settle for another free trip to Europe this summer.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:17 am

adventurer wrote:The good news is that I got a Deuter Speedlite 20 backpack (retail $79) free with my REI Dividend.

The bad news is that I can't talk my wife into moving to an REI Visa card from our current Visa because it generates so many free airline miles. Guess I'll have to settle for another free trip to Europe this summer.

I thought about getting an airline card, but now if I travel for vacation I have plan ahead and get tickets for four. The REI dividend can be used for pure unadulterated gear whore self-indulgence now!

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Got my REI dividend and spent it the same day on a new Thule rack for my whitewater kayaks.

tonyo

by tonyo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:06 pm

My wife called in sick yesterday... went shopping... stopped at REI... and spent MY dividend. On a dress. :?

I kind of had my eye on a new <2lb. sleeping bag.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:50 pm

Ya, but she'll look nice...and isn't that better than a stinky old sleeping bag?!
If your smart you won't answer that. :-D

I use their card for all cc transactions. I pay in full. I usually opt for cash.

Free cash + frequent flier miles + a tent + mountains = a happy Tigerlilly.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:38 am

tigerlilly wrote:Ya, but she'll look nice...and isn't that better than a stinky old sleeping bag?!
If your smart you won't answer that. :-D

It's always BEST to approve of your wife's purchases. If you don't, hopefully you'll have a place like this to "wait it out ..."

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:30 am

lcarreau wrote:Image

I believe that I've stayed in this hotel, in Arizona on old route 66.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:28 pm

I thought it was in Utah outside Bryce?

DersuUzala

by DersuUzala » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:29 pm

tonyo wrote:My wife called in sick yesterday... went shopping... stopped at REI... and spent MY dividend. On a dress. :?

I kind of had my eye on a new <2lb. sleeping bag.

say WHAAA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?
MAJOR VIOLATION!
You've gotta be crazy to be sane

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:39 pm

MarkDidier wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:$315. I don't buy too much at regular price there, but I got the REI Visa card last April and have used it for most spending since then. I pay off my balance each month, so this is like "free" money for gear for me.

Rebates--

Non-REI purchases 1%
Sale-price REI purchases 5%
Full-price REI items 10%

And when I signed up, I got a $50 gift card as well. The REI Visa has been a great deal for me, and no annual fees.

If there is no annual fee then I may go ahead and get their Visa. I have a decent amount in work related expenses that I charge and get reimbursed for each month. It won't get me a lot of gear, but my wife will be happier when I save some money on my (at least annual) REI purchases!

I have thought about getting the card but I already have two cards and only use one. I pay it off every month so I have really good credit. Would it be worth it for me to cancel my un used card and get the rei one or will that hurt my credit score to much?
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:14 am

I would get the REI card and use it, unless you have a card with a better deal. So far, this card works best for us. Getting another card will not ding your credit rating. Use the other two cards once in awhile, on something little, to keep them active. Pay them all of in full.

If you really want to UP your credit rating, go to a bird store and buy gourmet bird seed. I've been told that this is something people with plenty of money buy. So, when the banks see that on your card, your credit rating goes up.

Go figure.

Oh, I was also told that going to certain bars in certain towns, will decrease your credit rating. ha ha ha Bizarre, eh?

Previous

Return to General