Movie - Sanctum

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
gwave47

Re: Movie - Sanctum

by gwave47 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:49 am

It reminded me of a cave version of the original movie "The Poseidon Adventure". Hold your breath and work your way through the maze until you find your way out.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 am

gwave47 wrote:It reminded me of a cave version of the original movie "The Poseidon Adventure". Hold your breath and work your way through the maze until you find your way out.

Actually, it was much better than The Poseidon Adventure.

The actors were more realistic, especially with their Aussie Accents. And, I could relate to the
competition between the father and his son.

All in all, I give it one thumb's UP.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 am

Critics here have said that it's better to wait to Avatar 2...

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:23 am

Last edited by lcarreau on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 am

Like almost on every movie mate :lol:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Saw it yesterday and pretty good. Wish there was more truth to the movie though. I thought it maybe unrealistic, but worth seeing.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:28 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 151103.htm

One of the Sanctum stunt divers has just died in a cave-diving incident.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:57 pm

If she was diving alone using the closed circuit rebreather (CCR) that she's shown using in the photos on the web, she probably died of a heart attack. Or at least that's what the CCR community will probably say. CCRs have a place in extreme exploration diving, as well as for certain military and research applications, and professional underwater photographers like them because they don't produce bubbles which scare marine life. In these applications, the operational limitations of less "high tech" equipment such as ordinary open circuit scuba (OC), or semi-closed rebreaters (which don't rely on underwater electronics and electrochemical sensors for critical life support subsystems), outweigh the inherent risk associated with CCRs (as in, certain CCR failures will kill you suddenly and with no warning). Unfortunately, there isn't enough extreme exploration diving to support a recreational CCR industry, so CCRs are promoted to weekend warriors as being cool and high tech, and the next step up from ordinary technical diving. They are also sold as being less expensive in the long run than OC, because they are much more efficient in use of expensive gasses like helium. The possibility that CCRs are not safe for the average user apparently must never be admitted by the CCR community, and deaths are usually attributed to heart attacks.

While the diver here (Agnes Milowka) is a well-known cave explorer, what's been said so far in the media about the body recovery suggests that the dive that killed her was not extreme in terms of depth and cave penetration and could probably have been done safely on OC scuba. My count of friends and personal acquaintances who've had CCR "heart attacks" since 2006 on dives that could have been done safely on OC is at least four, including one who died minutes after I watched him jump off the boat, and whose body I helped locate and recover. Recreational CCR skeptics refer to a popular brand which has a brightly colored housing and a bad history of user heart attacks as the YBOD (yellow box of death), and have suggested that it be sold with a complimentary shovel for the use of the diver's family.

The cause of death in this case has not yet been made public, so perhaps this rant is off topic, but I get annoyed and sad every time I hear of another diver who has died on a rebreather when a safer and less high tech system would have worled just as well.

(edit from three to four people I've known who died on CCR - while reading Agnes Milowka's bio I saw she had linked to a interview she did with veteran cave explorer and photographer Wes Skiles, which reminded me that Skiles was yet another person I have met who died recently on a CCR dive that could have been done safely on OC).
Last edited by JHH60 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:51 am

"To seek the sacred river Alph,
To walk the caves of ice --
To break my fast on honeydew,
And drink the milk of Paradise..."

I had heard the whispered tales of immortality,
The deepest mystery ..
From an ancient book I took a clue;
I scaled the frozen mountain tops of eastern lands unknown,
Time and Man alone --
Searching for the lost Xanadu ..."

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:40 am

Damien Gildea wrote:Geez, I'm glad Summitpost wasn't around when Cliffhanger came out! :lol:

:lol: In a sense I have to disagree. Although it poorly portrays climbing, it was a great movie to laugh at. And to think when I saw the cover I thought it was going to be a cool movie. 8)

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:38 pm

gabr1 wrote:It reminds me a bit of when, in the movie Shakespeare in love, the producer of the play keeps insisting to have "a bit with a dog" in every production, for comic purposes. Why is that?
Because sometimes producers are not the best storymakers. Sometimes they are the worst. And sometimes, since explosions work, they put them in mountaineering movies, etc, etc,...

What movie couldn't be improved with the addition of a zombie, vampire, stripper, cyborg, or an explosion?

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:22 pm

:lol: Exlosions help, even the movie North Face had one explosion (avalanche). 8)

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:47 am

Damien Gildea wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/28/3151103.htm

One of the Sanctum stunt divers has just died in a cave-diving incident.

And now the creator and writer has died in a helicopter crash: http://www.smh.com.au/national/chopper- ... 1qzh2.html
:shock:

Previous

Return to News