Utah in Early June

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Alex Wood

Utah in Early June

by Alex Wood » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 am

Planning on doing a road-trip up north late May into early June. Most of the higher stuff in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho will have too much snow from what I have heard. Does anyone know what snow conditions will be like in the Uintas? I was hoping to give Kings Peak a shot. Also, does any body have an idea as to how much snow will be in the Wasatch and Tushars? Thanks in advance!

lcarreau

Re: Utah in Early June

by lcarreau » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:23 pm

The weather's been pretty crazy (up north) this year. Traditionally, the Wasatch always has more snow than the Uintas.

I'm going to visit the Tushars in July. I'll be sure to report how much snow I find there in July. Guess every year is different. Best of luck!
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Early June might be OK for Kings Peak, but it is doubtful. Here is a link to Utah weather stations showing snow totals.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/datamap/ind ... e=0&fire=0

Currently, the ones closest to Kings Peak are reporting from 128% to 180% of normal. Spring snow in the Uintas is typically miserable stuff where even with snowshoes on you can sink in to your knees unless it is frozen solid.

The Wasatch however, typically has great snow that is nicely consolidated in late May/early June and you should be able to get in some pleasant snow climbs.

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 am

Thanks Larry! Ill try to give you an update when we go (although July is generally snow free in the Tushars).

Zeejay, thats for the information! I have wanted to check out the Kings Peak area for such a long time now where I might just go and see what happens. As of right now, we are looking at Mt. Nebo and Timp in the Wasatch.

Return to Utah