Peakbagging daypack

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
outbacker4life

Peakbagging daypack

by outbacker4life » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:37 am

Hey, I'm an avid backpacker looking to add a smaller pack to my equipment arsenal for non-technical scramble peak climbs. I'm curious about how large a bag I would need. Any input from the community on the amount of equipment they carry on a scramble trip or the type of bag they prefer would be greatly appreciated.
I'd be looking for a bag that doesn't have a frame, as it would have to be stuffed into a larger pack along with a week's worth of gear. Thanks!

ExcitableBoy

Re: Peakbagging daypack

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:13 am

Something like this should work: http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produ ... 4590/N/977

I took a similar pack (Lowe Alpine Attack) to the Bugaboos. I stuffed my sleeping bag in it and put that into my big backpack. i used the little pack for day climbs.

SKI

by SKI » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:42 am

EB's pack looks super legitimate and has a great price to boot- I prefer to use this little REI Flash 18 pack. It gets REALLY small and holds all the essentials for day use. Image

To minimalize volume, I use these Platypus water carriers: Image

They work great (when I'm not worried about them freezing) and compress as you drink- unlike a standard Nalgene.

It's amazing how small a daypack can be these days. Remember, light is right- unless there's wine to be had.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:34 am

I use an REI flash 18, and also use it as a stuff sack lashed to the outside of my backpack. I have a long nylon shoelace threaded through the back lash points, and can lash another stuff sack onto it. Your backpack may also have a top pocket that is detachable for a fanny pack.

adventurer

by adventurer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 am

The Deuter Speed Lite 20 http://www.rei.com/product/810379 is great for three season day hikes and peakbagging.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

no avatar
DanTheMan

by DanTheMan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:24 am

Mec Travel Light Top Loader. 20L and 330 g with a framesheet

drpw

by drpw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:34 am

Anyone know if you can fit a BD Deploy7 shovel in the Flash 18?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:20 pm

drpw wrote:Anyone know if you can fit a BD Deploy7 shovel in the Flash 18?

I found that I can fit my shovel (BD Bobcat) on any pack with the ice axe loop.

drpw

by drpw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:44 pm

I figured, but I'm now thinking about the Flash 18 for overnight splitboard trips. The 40l is overkill for just sessioning a few thousand feet. I'd really like it to fit inside as well as the probe (even if it sticks out the top) for low profile for the shred down as well as leaving the daisy chain more free for the trekkers on the way down.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:27 pm

I use this guy:

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

It packs down smaller than a tennis ball, and has lots of room. The downside is that there's no padding on the straps, so I only like to carry about 5lb in it. But, when it's just a water bottle and jacket, that's fine.

For slightly heavier loads, I made a pack very similar to the REI Flash 18, but with much tougher fabric so I can haul it on rock climbs. For ~10lb loads I'd think the Flash would be great, if those straps are fairly stiff.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:57 pm

A simple question to ask, but less easy to answer.

I've been thinking about packs and pack sizes a lot over the years, and as each trip requires its own solution, I've acquired quite a collection by now.

Obviously, the size of any pack is determined by what you have to carry, which, in turn, depends on the kind of trip, and, to some extent, on the group size.

First of all, an assortment of small items goes in my hip pouch (a.o. pocket knife, whistle, small torch, sun sceen, camera), which I carry at all times.

No pack at all!
The smallest solution is no pack at all. That works well on short(ish) day trips on relatively easy terrain, where you are in a group or where there are other people around, so chances of having to spend the night out are close to zero and you can rely on others in case of trouble. In such cases, I've tied my rain jacket around my waist and carried a lot of stuff in all of my pockets. At the start of the hike I put on just so much clothes that I'm not cold without having to wear my rain jacket, so it can serve as an extra layer if it gets colder. If and when I get too warm during the hike, I take off my fleece and wrap it around my waist as well.
My pockets are filled with food (candy bar, GORP), water, map and compass and a first aid kit, which also includes an emergency blanket. Sometimes also gloves or mittens.
In fact, this is also what you do when you were near a summit and don't want to drag everything up there: you leave or stash your pack and go light on the last stretch. How light, that depends on how far that last stretch is.

The next size up is for a (relatively) short day trip while on a multi-day hike. On a multi-day hike I have don't have the luxury of carrying two packs, but the top of my preferred multi-day pack (60 liters / 3700 cubic inches) comes off, and with a bandana I fashion a sort of carrying system - a bandana has many uses anyway. This top is quite small, maybe 5 l / 600 ci, but I can stuff a down jacket in there, which compresses real well, rain pants (also doubles as extra layer against the cold), more food and water, and sometimes a water filter. Again my rain jacket will be around my waist and all pockets stuffed. Now I'm prepared for much worse weather, be it cold or wet, and, should something go wrong, a much longer time out.

Go light, with pack
The answer that comes closest to the OP is applicable if I can choose without constraints. In that case, my preferred pack is a 20 l / 1200 ci pack. It's more comfortable to carry than the top of my multi day pack, I can bring more stuff and it's still quite light. I don't have to fill all my pockets anymore, although I can if I want to, but everything fits in my day pack now, including the rain jacket itself. I can also bring some stuff that's not really necessary, but nice to have, like fresh fruit and bread rolls. A bit of GORP will be in there as emergency food. Usually I'll also carry more water, and a slightly larger first aid kit.

Technical
Surpassing the OP and going beyond non-technical day trips, when I want to carry technical gear, I prefer my 35+ l / 2100+ ci pack. I call it 35+, because it has big side pockets with zippers and I think it might be more like 40 l / 2400 ci. In the European Alps, with huts providing food and shelter everywhere, this is in fact big enough for long multi-day technical trips - and I still manage to find room for some fresh fruit for the first few days!

Overnight
If camping is involved, I have several bigger packs to choose from. Currently, my preferred one is a 60 l / 3700 ci pack. Somehow I manage to get everything in there (on longer trips, where I need more food, some items like my tent will be tied to the outside for the first few days). I've tried a bigger pack, but found out that when I fill it up it gets too heavy for me and it slows me down too much, so I've learned to get around with less. I've used a 55 l / 3400 ci pack a lot as well and that works fine too, but there's always more dangling on the outside, and besides, I think that its empty weight is slightly higher than that of the 60 l / 3700 ci one.

Expedition day pack
Finally, with mules or porters, I can bring along more stuff and I'll carry a day pack again myself, which brings me back to the OP. That will be my 35+ l / 2100+ ci pack, because I want to have it with me on summit day.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
Arthur Digbee

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:10 pm

I had made my own light pack years ago, but God rest its soul, it ripped on a particularly cold trip when I fought (unsuccessfully) with a scrub oak.

Back to the flash 18. I currently have an Osprey Aether as my primary multi-day backpack. That pack has a ridiculous detachable top pocket, which uses the main pack belt.

I use the waist pack from the Osprey, and also the Flash 18 at the same time. Most of the time the flash 18 is sort-of supported on the hip pack; surprisingly comfortable.

The trouble is that other people in the group see this large capacity and then assume they don't have to carry as much stuff, or ask if they can stow stuff in my pack.

RickF

by RickF » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm

rgg's summary is good advice. Match the pack to the trip. On multiday trips I used to carry along a Camelback Rimrunner for summit day. I really like that Camelback. It's small but it performs the hydration function and it can carry essentials, lunch and extra clothing layers. Ive even attached a 60M rope, ice axe and crampons. But in my evolution to get lighter I eventually came to the conclusion that I couldn't keep carrying two packs, it's just an unneccessary extra 2.5 lbs. Now my most used pack for overnight trips and winter day trips is my Osprey Exposure 66. It weighs about 4.5 lbs. and it fits me so it's comfortable enough fully loaded and it's really comfortable when stripped down for climbing. It holds everything I need for summer multiday trips. For summit day I detach the top/lid compartment and cinch down the compression straps. It fits well over a climbing harness. I can also attach my skis to it.

So my advice, pick the best pack that you have available for your trip. And, take only one pack. Adjust your pack to make it adapt for the varying conditions of each stage or your trip.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:39 pm

CAMEBAK CLOUDWALKER is my day speed ascent pack. Has been for over 8 years now.

Smoove910

by Smoove910 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:46 am

Autoxfil wrote:I use this guy:

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

It packs down smaller than a tennis ball, and has lots of room. The downside is that there's no padding on the straps, so I only like to carry about 5lb in it. But, when it's just a water bottle and jacket, that's fine.

For slightly heavier loads, I made a pack very similar to the REI Flash 18, but with much tougher fabric so I can haul it on rock climbs. For ~10lb loads I'd think the Flash would be great, if those straps are fairly stiff.

Sorry, I have this same bag and I consider it a piece of shit. Used it once on a summit bid and the bottom is already falling apart from setting it down on some granite. It's fine if you don't mind the shoulder straps with no padding and don't plan on taking it off anytime.

I'll recommend the Flash 18 too, I bought it to replace the Sea to Summit bag.

Return to Gear